The mkiv Supra Owners Club

help a lady out please

tephanie

i recently had my entire engine andt ranny out for a re build of the bottom end of my 93 jdm auto non vvti supra.

However the engine was restalled the car started and soon the ecu blew....not the fuse the ECU

not stressing cause i know these stock ECU are over 20 years.. i bought another one

the car started and drove perfectly for 280 kms...then it blew again.....again not the ecu fuse but the actual ECU

I checked the grounds they all look good..

any suggestions

Have you actually checked the grounds properly with a multi meter? Sounds like the power is spiking and blowing the ECU. Bad earth connection or power supply split cables! Really need to check the resistance with a multi meter to rule the wires out

• 5 months later...

First , you need to inspect both ECU s - did they "blow" in the same place on the circuit cards , this can narrow down the output wires , the fault is most likely in the engine loom/gearbox loom - short circuit , maybe a plug backwards or wire trapped .

Then , with the wiring diagrams , megga each pin on the ECU connector , this will show the faulty wire , this can be done with a stabilised power supply , set to 12v , it will show large current draw on a wire where it should not draw much .

Then inspect that wire and loom run to its final connection , sensor or whatever , disconnect the load , sensor or whatever and check again .

Now it's known if it is sensor or wire , repair wire as necessary .

As it ran 280 km , it's an intermittent fault and probably a wire chaffed , so around steering, wheels, shocks , fans , and grommets and clamps .

Could be as easy as a 2 pin connector forced on backwards or with a broken clip -

Only about 80 or so pins to check

• 4 months later...