The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Replacing water pump. Timing belt etc. Anything else?

k222bye

Hi guys

So im replacing the following on my Supra.

Water pump

Thermostat (mishimoto)

Cam pulleys

Timing belt

Seeing as im going to be in this area what else would you recommend I change? May aswell hit two or three birds with one stone. Car has 80,000 miles, oil pump looks good etc

Thanks for replies. Im looking at getting this done by a garage. I wouldn't want to take a chance screwing something up plus i don't have any experience of removing cam pulleys or crank pulleys etc.

So for the water pump, belt change etc. What would i be looking at paying in terms of labour costs? I have all the parts.

Any old pulley removed will do the job. The pulley has screw holes for you to bolt a pulley remover too. Just make sure you use the adapter that go on the end so you don't damage the treads for the crank pulley bolt.

I've managed to find a Toyota crank pulley remover off said friend. Will use that. Will i need the same tool for the cam pulleys?

No as they are bolted to the cams but don't need a puller to remove them. You need a locking tool to lock the cams so you can undo and then do up the cam pulleys.

You have two options, get a locking tool or take the cam covers off and use the hex parts on the cams to hold the cams in place. Be seriously careful doing this though to ensure you don't damage the cams or the head i.e. if the wretch slips.

No as they are bolted to the cams but don't need a puller to remove them. You need a locking tool to lock the cams so you can undo and then do up the cam pulleys.

You have two options, get a locking tool or take the cam covers off and use the hex parts on the cams to hold the cams in place. Be seriously careful doing this though to ensure you don't damage the cams or the head i.e. if the wretch slips.

I'll get a locking tool for the cams, a sealys adjustable one. SST Toyota crank tool is going to be use to remove Crank pulley. Thank you for the input. Honestly without this forum God knows what I'd do haha. Don't want to risk damaging the cams. My friend will be doing the work. Ill be making the tea.