The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rear tire size - Profile

nolizma

Hi all,

I am sure I was reading a similar thread recently but for the life of me I can't find it.

The time has come to change my rear tires and I have been researching the market.

At the moment on the car I have: 235 40 18 Fronts and 275 35 18 Rears.

Should I go for the same size on the new rears or change for 275 40 18?

I like the look of a fat rear tire and I think it will be a little better over bumps but will it make any difference in handling around bends?

Are there any pros and cons?

Cheers

I've just done this myself. I've experienced no noticeable downsides, while it has improved ride comfort at the rear considerably (although I went from a 255/35 to a 275/40.

The weather hasn't been good enough yet to see how rear grip has been affected, but I have noticed my TRD diff seems to lock up a but sooner during low speed manoeuvres.

It will affect the speedometer reading, but I double checked mine against GPS at 70 mph recently and the the GPS was showing 68.

there will be an unsprung mass increase as the tyres will be heavier, and without a corresponding front profile change the car will go slightly more nose down/arse up, but it seems everyone who has tried it has only commented on the improved ride comfort/bump compliance (which with the state of roads in general is probably preferable/more beneficial?)

8.5j fronts and 10j rears if he still has the xxr's

Spot on.

I'm happy with my setup right now and how the car drives, but if I can improve the comfort and also the looks, as I think the 35 looks a bit thin on the back, then why not.

I am looking at Bridgestone potenza re050a. Anyone tried them?

I am looking at Bridgestone potenza re050a. Anyone tried them?

I've been running those since 2007. Great tyre with good compromise on grip and wear, but it's an old tyre technology wise now. I've just gone with Michelin Pilot Sport 4's, best out there at the moment apparently.