The mkiv Supra Owners Club

I don't creak anymore :) :)

Steve Cargill

I've had the 'famous' creaking front suspension for some time now. It was most noticeable at parking speeds, but has been getting worse in the last month or so and starting to ‘crash’ when going over bumps.

I’d tried tightening everything I could get to – several others have had the creaking and it turned out to be various suspension bolts needing tightening (or loosening/cleaning in one case ISTR).

Had it in a Leons yesterday and we tried tightening everything - including the two I couldn’t get to, the two front sub-frame mounting bolts that need a very deep socket to get onto....... One of then was finger tight :eek:

Not only has my creaking gone, but the car handles much better. It used to feel a little unsteady over bumps, but is now solid as a rock :D

Another side effect is the car is much quieter now, there used to be a lot of road noise, much more than other Supras I’ve been in.

Probably woth adding to the list of things to get checked when the car goes it.

JB, no, never been there. These aren't bolts that would be touched during an alignment - except perhaps to chack they were tight.

http://www.mkiv.com/manual/manualtt/general_maintenance/mo14.jpg

I'm pretty certain then are the 125N-m tightness ones on the second from bottom diagram. I couldn't get to these myself as they seemed more like nuts on long bolts and you needed a very deep socket to get far enough in.

Leon noticed there had been a bit of movement between the front of the subframe and body.

It looks like these should be done as part of the service.... I wonder how opten they actually are checked!!

• 2 weeks later...

I had experienced the front end noises quite a few of us have heard and some of the occasional vagueness on the steering particularly over rough hard corners mentioned by other members. I read Steve’s post with interested about a week ago and thought I would check the torque setting on my suspension cross member be bolts as soon as I could.

I checked this afternoon, and am I glad I did. I could not believe how slack on of the front bolts was. Not quite finger tight but at least 10 flbs down on the 92 book figure. All six front Bolts were loose. One of the rear six bolts moved a few degrees before the wrench clicked. Once tightened I took the car for the obligatory test drive on the local private test road to give it some stick, the vagueness has gone as have the low speed NS creeks.

If it can happen to two of us I suggest there are more cars out there with loose front suspension cross members bolts. I suggest you check your setting the next time you go under the car. This Item is going to be a 1000mile check item for me from now on; until I am sure they are not loosening under general use. To check the front bolts you need a 17mm deep socket on the end of at least a 6” extension bar for the rears you need a 19mm socket torque settings 92ftlb and 148ftlb respectively.

Cheers gents,

I am having EXACT same problem with mine.

Everything Steve said he experienced is what I have now, and I know it's not suspension!

I have a decent trolly jack and a pair of stands, do you reckon I can get under and do it with that gear or need to get her onto a pit or lift?

And thankx for the socket sizes and torque settings.......

cheers

• 3 months later...

Firstly, Dom did it sort your creaking out??

Secondly after 3000 miles mine has started creaking again. Slightly differently in that just after I start heavy breaking I get a clunk, then when hoofing it away I get a lighter clunk.

Sounds and feels like it could be the early stages of what I had before. It's also starting to feel a bit loose again and getting noisier - these are VERY subjective as there are lots of other factors involved in feel but could well be.

It's into Leons again soon anyway so I'll get it all checked out then.

Hi Steve,

Sorry m8, I went under the car and pulled at most mounting bolts and none seemed slack or un-torqued.

TBH I couldn't really apply full load and torque to most bolts as I did this on 'Jack stands' and don't trust the bastards 100%.

Anyway, my problem was actually coming from the springs. They were bottoming(touching) at the top coils, like coil-bind.

But don't make the kind of sound that you would expect from spring(clanking etc) it was near a knock type and mainly when the car flexed over a hump etc.

I though the springs were dead, but checked them out and they are perfect, it's the suspension set up I have on the car. The car is low and quite ridgid. Not too rough, and handles like a rollercoster, ,, pure perfection.......

Anyway after re seating the struts and I also wrapped the top coils in a special rubber, she is silent again.

May get a slight creak or two from the front now, only when she flexes and twist(rarely) but I put this down to the car naturally being 'ridgid'.

No more hard knocks.........

Cheers

Dom

• 1 year later...
  • 6 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 11 months later...