The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My head has been turned

hogmaw

A few years ago I was filling up the daily driver at garage by the side of a dual carriageway and I heard something interesting coming along so I looked up to see what it was.

Rushing past was a black Audi RS4. The sound of the V8 was immense.

It was quite a while back but for some reason that moment has stuck with me.

My head has been turned and unless the missus talks me out of it I will probably sell the Supra in the spring so I can buy one.

My head was turned before Christmas by a C63 white coupe with a premium roof in V8 guise.

He played with me for a while in my BPU fairly stock Supra but the noise and poise of his car was outstanding. After nearly 13 years of Supra driving i didnt see this day coming :(

I will probably let the newer model drop in price before making the move but my head has been turned.

A few years ago I was filling up the daily driver at garage by the side of a dual carriageway and I heard something interesting coming along so I looked up to see what it was.

My head has been turned and unless the missus talks me out of it I will probably sell the Supra in the spring so I can buy one.

I have a B7 RS4 saloon in Murcialgo Blue not the sprint blue (something practical for the kids but as my wife clearly tells me her Fabia is the family vehicle - it does 80mpg so why not;) as well as my Supras.

I must admit even now when I hear a fruity engine I always turn to have a look and am often surprised as its an RS4 (I should know without looking)!

I think the B7 RS4 is the last RS made to have a proper manual gearbox I am right in thinking that all the C63 Mercs etc. are all tiptronic? I just prefer a proper manual.

Yes mine uses oil and smokes on cold start ups but that is normal for the 4.2 oh and the front discs and pads are around £1000 (probably over £1500 at Audi) and around £430 just for and oil change at Audi so be warned they are very expensive to maintain also £525 road tax per year unless you get an early 06 plate car these are cheaper.

Great point to point although the rear end gets a little lose under heavy braking.

To be honest finding a properly looked after not trashed example is not easy I bought mine off a customer when it turned 3 years old and had known it from new.

My advise is buy one any keep the Supra too:d

I just got myself one, a small upgrade from the S5 daily.

attachment.php?attachmentid=217309&stc=1&d=1488788622

Doesn't the 4.2 engine have oil issues? As in they use lots of oil? I'd do your research beforehand.

The 4.2 FSI has carbon buildup issues as the fuel is directly injected into the cylinder (instead of over the valves) however i had my S5 for 5 years and didnt have a problem.

They can be cleaned, just costly (around 600) to do.

IMG_3468.jpg

Edited by Ric (see edit history)

• 5 weeks later...
customer of mine had one , huge engine problems , it was in audi more than his garage

Same as any performance car that's not a Supra :)

I've looked into the pros and cons, they have been around for years now and the main faults are well known eg oil cooler pipe corrosion, carbon buildup, DRC suspension leak. Nothing that can't be fixed though yes there is a cost.

I'll put my car up for sale on the forum soon.

Am i the only one who hates the sound of a c63? lol

Im a huge fan of big engines and the sound they produce, especially with straight pipes etc but the c63 just sounds like a fart box in my opinion

I'm not a big fan of the v8 merc

Isn't the oil issue something to do with the rings? My mate had the s4 v8 which is pretty much the same heart i think? Used a litre of oil to a tank of fuel, soon sold it on to we buy any car as it wasn't getting any better.. Full service history etc. Im not sure what it was but apparently they have a pretty major issue with rings wearing prematurely? His was a "57" plate

• 3 months later...

Just a quick comparison in case anyone else is thinking of an RS4. FWIW I have the B7 Avant, it's a 4.2L V8, no turbos but they can be supercharged to 600+bhp.

First of all, it's not easy to compare the Supra and RS4 as they're not like for like. They're both fast, but in different ways. In a nutshell, the Supra is aggressive, noisy and exciting - the RS4 is more refined, modern and smooth.

As I'm getting on a bit now (50 next year) and have a young family the RS4 ticks more boxes. It's also better for the bumpy country roads that are round where I live, the Supra is better for motorways, dual carriageways and fast roads.

I much prefer the sound of the V8, I always thought the sound of the Supra was just 'noise' which I didn't really care for.

RS4 power delivery is a straight line, yes it's fast but not in an exciting way like the Supra and its turbos.

RS4 handling is way better, it has 4WD and bumps in the road are hardly noticeable. I can also put stuff in the boot and kids in the back.

RS4 doesn't look all that, let's face it, it's a clumpy estate car albeit not as bad as a Volvo. Supra looks awesome and you're sat low down with that wraparound dash.

As far as mods are concerned there's not a lot you can do with an RS4, I'm getting a Stage 2 map next week and a carbon clean which should bring 430-450bhp. After that it's a massive leap for a supercharger (about £12k). So the Supra wins hands down for mods both engine and cosmetic.