The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Any recommended bodyshops for supra repairs

Simon

OK, it had to happen one day I suppose, after 27 years of driving high mileage, and the last 4 of those in my Supra, I had a prang yesterday in my baby.

A quick look by me the damage requires new;

oil cooler, intercooler, a/c rad, water rad (new last month)

new wings, veilside nosecone, fans (all of them) rad shroud and more I expect. The engine appears to be ok.

What I want to know is if there is anyone who can recommend a GOOD repair shop anywhere west of Milton Keynes (ideally) who could possibly repair my baby.

The initial response from the insurance assessor was a recommendation for write off based on cost of repair. I expect I will be buying back if possible and getting it repaired if it is not prohibitively expensive.

So any recommendations very welcome please. :thanks:

You could get them to give you the money to repair it...basically you find everything you need second hand and go to them with your valuation of the repair based on you supplying parts. This should greatly reduce the cost of the repair and it is the effectively repaired by the insurance company....so it's never written off.

Have a chat with the insurance monkey's about it :) The assessor should be able to tell you a max repair value - ie the most they will pay out to fix it...then you just have to cost it yourself and come in £500 short of max ;)

Sorry to see this Simon, it happens to the best of us at one time or another :(

Don't know anywhere west of MK, but Dude (South coast) and Lovatt (Dudley) both have good reputations on this BBS. Envy are somewhat north of you but also do a good job.

Personally with the Supra I'd rather take it a bit further to someone who knows what they are doing, than stick it in the nearest body shop that are repairing Mondeos and Vectras all day.

I can concur with what Alex said. It's what they call a 'Contract Repair' and you should use this term when negotiating with the insurers. It can take a bit of pushing to get it sorted but it will be a better idea than buying it back after they write it off.

Insuring a J-Spec can be bad enough at the best of times, but have you ever tried getting a quote for insuring a written off J-Spec?

Believe me, you should look into this before making a decision to let them write it off with a view of getting it back on the road.

I had to let my baby go a year and a half ago because it got written off. but it all worked out better in the end. Heartbreaking to have to do, but it just wasn't worth getting it repaired after being written off.

Glad you're still ok to tell us about it though. That's the main thing.

Simon,

Supreme Autocraft are in Water Eaton south of Bletchly, they are good. They did Leons paint job, infact they are opposite Leons (JPS Motorsport) workshop.

Supreme Autocraft

50 Barton Road

Bletchley Buckinghamshire MK2 3BQ

Tel: (01908 271601)

:thumbs:

I can recommend Al Shaw bodyshop 01908 373791 in Bletchley behind Just Tyres same stretch of road of Audi Wayside. I go my bodykit fitted and painted by them. They're all friendly guys known them for 10 years, we get all our cars repaired by them.

Thanks everyone for the replies, will follow up on the insurance. Not being an expert on assessing these things but I do think that their costs will be a lot more than I can get the parts for through here and other contacts.

The only chassis damage maybe top the top rails which isn't that serious anyway, the front suspension and wheels still steered true when I rolled it down the slip road to get out of the way of other traffic so that is a good sign.