The mkiv Supra Owners Club

auto or 6 speed

Guest big_g

Guest big_g

im going to be geting a supra in the next moth or so. would just like some help on should i get a auto or 6 speed, what are the + and - for each,

i know there are lot more autos about

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Apart from people taking the mickey out of it being an auto... I have found it very nice...

I would highly suggest you take both out and try them...

Graham S has a manual and altho he swears by it, he is constantly going thru the gears and has admitted on a few occasions to enjoying the auto box *grin*

Try both, make your own mind up

Gav

Hi there, another Oxford member :)

There are plenty of auto vs manual threads, do a search

I've never driven a auto supra, so I just give some feedback for the 6SP ->

+ You can choose any gear you want at any time! (wrong ones included)

+ Engine braking

+ Dump valve - PPSSSHHH (possible on an auto of course but more difficult to make it go psshh ;) )

- Heavy clutch (although a good workout for your left leg in traffic jams)

- Cluncky in first and second gear (not always though)

- Burning the clutch can be expensive

Hi there, another Oxford member :)

There are plenty of auto vs manual threads, do a search

I've never driven a auto supra, so I just give some feedback for the 6SP ->

+ You can choose any gear you want at any time! (wrong ones included)

Can you choose 1st and 2nd or 3rd at 165mph then? :innocent:

Guest big_g

thanx for your help, how hard are 6 speed to fined? cos thats whats puting me off them. what are the serving cost like? and how many miles from service to service?

where bout in oxford are you mite have seen you bout

6 Speeds are fairly rare but theres enough about. Just means you pay a couple of grand more. Just look in the cars for sale section or the autotrader or ebay.

The auto is supposed to be fantastic. I had a manual, but think I will get an auto next time. The manual is more interactive but the auto is smoother and faster, generally.

Look at the drag times for the car. The autos are a lot faster. And the difference only gets bigger the more power you have. Fast changes means no turbo lag between gears.

The 6 speed is completely bombproof but I have heard of a small number of probs with the auto box, not many at all though.

As MCanny said, you need to drive them both. Only you can decide !

I'm sure theres a sticky on this somewhere.........

The autos are a lot faster.

Only in a straight line. I will happily race any BIG HP auto supe in a good BPU manual around a circuit. £100 to the winner :eyebrows:

(Look I know it's the old Auto vs Manual thread, but hell, it was headed that way anyways! :devil: )

Only in a straight line. I will happily race any BIG HP auto supe in a good BPU manual around a circuit. £100 to the winner
I'll race you for money Tony. I don't even have big HP, just BPU, but I'm confident my Tiptronic RZ-S would beat a BPU manual driven by an equally average, no trackday experience, driver around a track. You arrange it, I'll be there.

We'll keep it friendly though. It's just a 'lets see what happens' experiment as far as I'm concerned.

I remember being somewhere in Southern Spain once and all these lads decended on my car one of em spoke some English , they were all going 'WOOOOOWWW' then the English speaking one said ...ahhhh its an Automatic and then they all left.

There has only been a handful of occasions where I had wished it was a Manual (that BTW wasn't one of em) but I know there would have been more occasions if I had a manual where I had wished I had an auto...

But as others have said depends how much you drive and how you use it...if its everyday then Auto...if its just a weekend car and you wanna do drifting and trackdays a lot too then Manual.

But dont get a manual just to keep a bunch of macho Real Madrid supporters happy you'll be surprised just how good the auto box is.

But i agree with Jake and Darren...If I was buying one now I would go for a Tiptronic box prob give you a bit more control and you can drive it in full auto too!

:)

Guest big_g

But i agree with Jake and Darren...If I was buying one now I would go for a Tiptronic box prob give you a bit more control and you can drive it in full auto too!

are there many tiptronic ones bout? dont know any thing bout them cost much more? think i will go more auto than 6 speed, not a car for the track

I'll race you for money Tony. I don't even have big HP, just BPU, but I'm confident my Tiptronic RZ-S would beat a BPU manual driven by an equally average, no trackday experience, driver around a track. You arrange it, I'll be there.

We'll keep it friendly though. It's just a 'lets see what happens' experiment as far as I'm concerned.

Your on! :devil: :p

Even better, we should do 1 race, swap cars and then race again and apply agregate times to cancel out "driver lack of skill" on either part!

Dunno about location, any suggestions?