The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Almost Perfect....

caliAl

Just seen the following car on Auto Trader. I think it's almost perfect..........facelift, best colour, best mix of body kits IMO.

It's just a shame it's not a TT. I might go have a look at it anyway see if I can be tempted. I know a car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, but do you think this a fair price?

Also I fear that I will never be satisfied with the limited power potential of an NA without spending big £££!

http://pictures.autotrader.co.uk/ATD_web/servlet/media?id=154870709

1996 TOYOTA SUPRA 3.0 3dr Hatchback

6sp Non Turbo Metallic Gun Metal Grey 1 year MOT 6 Months Tax CL EW AC Alloys CD/Radio/Cassette Toad Alarm Immobilizer Body Kit. 59400 miles. £8995

thats an old members car......

..........very distinctive and i think its changed hands more than once since he sold it. Not saying this is a bad thing btw.

There was one issue i remember with the wheels fitting over uk brakes and i believe the alloys 'may' have been shaved down to give the clearance needed.

People questioned this practice at the time, they seem to have lasted ok though.

My main problems are that I only have a budget of 10k....11k at the most, has to be a manual car (stupid I know) and the only colours I really like are RSB, gun metal and black.

I guess I could try and hunt down black manual TT and save up for the kit. Does anyone know much the kit combination would cost from the car above?

I have never owned a sub 7 second 0-60 car before...

Have you ever driven RWD for more than a few minutes?

Sorry just reminds me of a conversation with a guy at work, he wants a Supe but at the moment has a Corsa and has never had anything faster. Said he went in a friends Clio 182 and thought it was REALLY fast. I suggested getting a slow RWD car first like a BMW 325 or something (he said "that's not a slow car!" - errr.... yeah it is!!).

Sorry not trying to be nasty or anything (I came to supes from an MG ZR160), just don't like seeing crashed supes (or worse) on the forums!!

Scooter that is a very kind offer, which I may take you up on as I live in Epsom.

I have never really driven a fast RWD car except for when my mate let me have a blast in his Merc SLK AMG with TC on, which I found very scary at first but you learn to show respect fast.

I am one of those unlucky people that gets bored quick so that’s why I have a few reservation on getting a NA, but until I drive one, I guess I should have an open mind.

Go and drive both a TT and NA and see what you think. It sounds to me as if you really want the power and the tuning potential of the TT. If thats the case don't waste your time with the NA, you will regret it and it will cost you money. Your budget is enough to get you decent 6 speed TT.

Either of them are fine to drive providing you use a bit of common sense. If you floor it at 60mph round a corner in the rain you will end up in trouble. If you expect otherwise you shouldn't even be in a car. But at the end of the day they are very good handling cars and do have to be pushed to cause problems.

People always say 'oooh don't get a TT if you haven't had a rear wheel drive car before'. Respect the car and you will be fine.

For what its worth, I have both TT and NA, and will be selling one soon...........the TT ;)

Steve: I understand what your saying 100%. The next car I buy im looking to keep for at least 5 years, so it’s going have to be exactly what I want, hence why im swinging towards a TT. Im a reasonably carefully driver with no accidents in 8 years of driving so I hope the power of a TT does not go to my head.

May I ask why your choosing a NA over a TT?

Tbourner: Im 26 and insurance quotes have not bothered me to much on JMD cars. UK car would be lovely but im not to bothered on the UK v Jap thing :sly:

Supragal: Im giving serous consideration towards the black supra. The white one is nice but the bomex front (is that right?) is not for me

Tbourner: Im 26 and insurance quotes have not bothered me to much on JMD cars. UK car would be lovely but im not to bothered on the UK v Jap thing :sly:

I don't get into the jap/UK argument either, I have a jap, but the UK TT is cheaper insurance than an NA. Just another consideration in these debates!! :p

Steve: I understand what your saying 100%. The next car I buy im looking to keep for at least 5 years, so it’s going have to be exactly what I want, hence why im swinging towards a TT. Im a reasonably carefully driver with no accidents in 8 years of driving so I hope the power of a TT does not go to my head.

May I ask why your choosing a NA over a TT?

You may :respekt:

I have driven my TT for almost 18 months (owened both cars this amount of time) and have been very happy with it.

The problem is most of time is spent driving it to work in the traffic (where the auto box is amazing by the way). On top of that the car doesn't feel that quick around the town and on slower roads becuase it doesn't really need to work to get the speed. So although you may actually be accelerating pretty nimbly, it doesn't really feel like you are. You just notice all the cars around you dissapearing!

The NA feels more nimble and faster, although it obviously isn't. That combined with the fact that the NA will happily drive around on normal unleaded and the TT only likes Optimax or BP Ultimate. The actual consumption isn't much better in the NA but the fuel is cheaper to buy and it adds up when you do say 12,00 miles a year.

If your happy with just the looks and the NA performance, get a 1999 (or newer) NA with your cash and be done with it.

I bought my TT after kidding myself the NA power would be okay. The NA was still on the ship from Japan at this point! I was after power though deep down.

The NA in real terms isn't that much slower either, it does get crippled by the TT in torque though, so keeping it in the right gear is more important. Also, if your looking to mod in the future months to get extra power, don't bother with the NA. They are not very tuneable.

You will also strangely find that the TT is cheaper to insure than the NA, and the UK TT is cheaper than them both.

Its all show and less go for me now :limp: