The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Will non original paint affect value?

Dutchman

Talking with a few friends about my upcoming respray on my supra, and a few of them seem to think that painting it a non oem colour will affect the value drastically. Not tjat im thinking of selling it ever but always crosses your head if you know what i mean, Do you guys agree or is this just non supra owners causing s**t ;)

Value? Maybe a bit. More if you have a particularly desirable OEM colour.

Saleability? Definitely. Less people are going to want to buy it. Even less people depending on how "out there" the colour is.

I've seen a nice non OEM (Lamborghini?) grey. "Grigio Avalon"? Which looked really good and wouldn't put me off. However if you're going bright green or some such I think a lot of buyers would steer clear

Moving from an OE colour will reduce the appeal of any car. Moving from a VIN colour to another OE colour will reduce the appeal of any car. Anything that limits the appeal has the potential to reduce the cars value but if someone else just love Purple and is looking to buy at the time you are looking to sell then switching from say a OE silver to a custom Purple could be a wise investment. Midnight Purple 3 is going to be a love or hate it option.

Really comes down to do you see the car as your car or as an investment. If the latter stay with the original OE colour as an investment is only realised when you sell the asset and the OE colour will have the widest appeal.

Depends what colour it is to start with, how original your car is, and how well the job is done. If you're not going to pull the engine and windows etc out, don't do a colour change, it will look cheap. But painting a silver car with some modifications a classy colour like midnight purple, properly, will probably make the car more desirable, and may therefore be worth a bit more.

I think it depends on the car and buyer. Personally I'd even consider paying more for a non-factory purple or blue supra over a silver one but I'm sure you'll have a subset of people who are collectors and want everything on the VIN plate to match everything in the car. Especially with TT6s and UK cars as they become rarer.

Have you priced up midnight purple 3 btw? It is extremely expensive paint.

I know it's jolly expensive that's why I said in an earlier post it would be a lot cheaper to get it done the original colour, and my friend does high end cars and the work I've seen have been impressive so I'm happy to let him do it, if it goes wrong he has to do it again simple as haha

I know it's jolly expensive that's why I said in an earlier post it would be a lot cheaper to get it done the original colour, and my friend does high end cars and the work I've seen have been impressive so I'm happy to let him do it, if it goes wrong he has to do it again simple as haha

I could of done a cheaper alternative to the yellow I wanted as the Liquid yellow was expensive but I didn't want to just settle for something else or close to what I wanted just so to save a few ££

If you have a colour you really want it in then go for that colour, if you choose an alternative you may regret it and its a lot of money to part with just to settle for something you kinda didn't want