The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Engine swap anyone?

j_jza80

5.0 v12 engine and 6 speed getrag gearbox for less than half the price of a Supra getrag.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112280404995

It should physically fit, the stock fuel system should be up to It, and there's probably a suitable diff ratio. The main difficulty will probably lie in the electrics, though a decent standalone like a Syvecs s8 or a Motec should be up to the task.

Fit a set of long tubular exhaust manifolds and ITB's and you'd have something truly special :cool:

Thing is with that engine is theres no UK knowledge base or parts supply. Potential nightmare. You and i both know what it can be like getting parts or info for vvti tiptronic Supras, 1G would be a whole different ballgame. Plus presumably some form of transmission adapter would be needed for a manual?

Plus, this BMW engine is the base for the McLaren F1 Engine, which makes it impossibly cool.

You and i both know what it can be like getting parts or info for vvti tiptronic Supras

Nope, no idea what you are talking about :innocent: :D

Plus presumably some form of transmission adapter would be needed for a manual?

I doubt it, we both know autos are quicker ;)

Plus, this BMW engine is the base for the McLaren F1 Engine, which makes it impossibly cool.

You have a point there.

not as big of a lemon as the jaguar V12

Blasphemy! :D

Besides, not all jaguar v12s are equal :)

http://www.pistonheads.com/regulars/ph-spottedykywt/lister-jaguar-xjs-7-0-spotted/31574

I think considering it was designed in the 60's, the Jag v12 was a work of art. Even in the 90's when that engine was effectively 30 years old, the Daimler Double 6 was getting flattering reviews about the engines refinement, although not it's fuel economy.

It was also used in some proper exotica, such as the xj13, XJR15 and Lister Storm.