The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The USA Importing Our Supras

KamaSupra

What with from next year the USA being able to import the first MKIV Supras made in 1993. I wondered has anyone had offers to import their Supras already?

In the last few months through Facebook, I personally have had a guy who lives in Alaska and now a lady too but from Las Vegas offering to buy my TT6. When I pointed out about the 25 year rule, the lady said she has a place in Malta to store it till it's 25 years old!! :rlol:

Anyone else had offers yet for their Supra?!

Not from the states but have had two offers from different parties over the last few months for strong money. More than most singles six speed are going for. Stand strong and keep hold lol. Mines staying Put.....for now

/QUOTE]

Don't, you'll get some singles upset. Though the TT6's are shifting a lot faster than singles in the marketplace, by a warp factor.

It's interesting that some overseas enquiries are coming in, as it indicates that 'they' believe prices will rise (perhaps significantly) and that if they have means to store it buying now will be beneficial.

It really does seem that the times of anything remotely cheap being available has passed.

ISF's are coming nicely down to meet the Supra's price going up! :)

I wouldn't want to sell to a North American buyer as they just don't do driving with RHD cars so any movement there with j or uk cars is going to end up stripped for parts. They are already importing into the USA as I purchased a jspec fuel rail and injectors from a US scrapper only a month ago. The 25 year rule is to register cars for road use, there is no such rule to bring in cars to break for parts.

I spoke with a guy from america last year about selling mine, he offered me a good price and said he would be back in contact at the end of 2017. however finding a replacement for the supra would be extremely hard unless it was a GTR, and id need a substantial offer to replace it with a GTR. You never know though.. we might be able to demand a decent premium for stock cars in less then a year.. which is exciting :D

I wouldn't want to sell to a North American buyer as they just don't do driving with RHD cars so any movement there with j or uk cars is going to end up stripped for parts. They are already importing into the USA as I purchased a jspec fuel rail and injectors from a US scrapper only a month ago. The 25 year rule is to register cars for road use, there is no such rule to bring in cars to break for parts.

I think you're wrong there. Just look at R32 GTR's, there have been loads sold to the states since they became eligible for import a few years ago. They were RHD only.

Indication from several trustworthy sources says that the guys out there like the RHD factor of a JDM car.

The R32 as far as I know was never available as a new car in the USA so there is not going to be a recycled parts demand either. Whereas the USA was a large market for new Supras with eleven thousand sold there. That's going to make for a whole different story come recycled parts demand.

I know a Left hooker in the states commands strong money ,will a RHD command similar money? Hard to tell as none of the skylines where sold domestically ?

What really kills the car here is the annual 1500 euro for road tax, everytime the car gets within grasp of classic tax the establishment extend the age requirement , the insurance sector has all but collapsed here , 36+ male/female no claims and all the bells and whistles clean licence are either refused insurance or they command 4000 mark ,

Government are pushing joe public into New cars and PCP deals , each year the NCT (MOT) has another spat of additional rules making life as difficult as possible , similar to Japan , older cars are too costly,PITA to keep on a public road

Was talking to the Toyota parts manager last night , he has an M3 E46 , we got onto the topic of cars appreciating , E46 CSL came to the forefront of the conversation , Leo, a guy I use to see regularly at the Saturday car wash sold his a few years back for 40K mark , we noted they command up to 100K now (crazy!!!)

As much as I love the car be nice to get on the property ladder, have a Panigale in the garage too ; if I ever did sell , at this point in time I would transition to the biking world, have a cheap POS run around , I do not think I would get back into cars to the extent I am , not worth the stress and hassle here

You pay in ireland 1500€ for road tax?

Yep, 24 year old car

12 months 1494 Euro

6 Months 829 Euro

3 Months 422 Euro

https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/motortaxinfotype.do

Vintage Motortax @56 euro per year was 25 years or older vehicles but they changed it to 30 or more years old

What do you pay in France? via fuel?

Edited by Jellybean (see edit history)

People will be importing them as they cannot afford to buy a US spec LHD car

They will never be anywhere near as valuble as the LHD cars, otherwise they would just buy a LHD in the first place

They may sell for slightly more than what youll get in the UK, but personally i think all the fuss is too hyped

Got to remember it will cost them an arm and a leg to get the car shipped over anyway, plus registering fees etc i very much doubt youll be commanding much more money than the UK market

I could be wrong but just my 2p

People will be importing them as they cannot afford to buy a US spec LHD car

They will never be anywhere near as valuble as the LHD cars, otherwise they would just buy a LHD in the first place

They may sell for slightly more than what youll get in the UK, but personally i think all the fuss is too hyped

Got to remember it will cost them an arm and a leg to get the car shipped over anyway, plus registering fees etc i very much doubt youll be commanding much more money than the UK market

I could be wrong but just my 2p

Surely once RHD imports are allowed and available in the states, it will push the price up of the LHD domestic cars which will in turn increase prices of ours due to supply and demand?