The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Uprated N/A cams?

HELLBOY666

Are you NA or NA-T?

If you're not turbo'd then cams aren't really worth their money as you won't see a noticeable difference. If you are turbo'd though, coilpacks would be good to have and then fit TT cams. You'll have a greater choice as well

I'm not sure I really want it turboed I'm just looking to upgrade the n/a engine maybe if I have to I'll do it at a later date but I use it as a daily and I don't live to far from work so it would probably get wasted not driving it far everyday

I'm not sure I really want it turboed I'm just looking to upgrade the n/a engine maybe if I have to I'll do it at a later date but I use it as a daily and I don't live to far from work so it would probably get wasted not driving it far everyday

/QUOTE]

With NA it depends on your goals, all the power is in the head, so Cams, bigger valves, gas flowed/ported head etc. Its an expensive route to go for minimal gains. Something i was looking into with the Throttle bodies until i sold the car...

Are you NA or NA-T?

If you're not turbo'd then cams aren't really worth their money as you won't see a noticeable difference. If you are turbo'd though, coilpacks would be good to have and then fit TT cams. You'll have a greater choice as well

I don't know mate, i think more aggressive cams are important in N/A engine if you want to have more power.

/QUOTE]

Hi Hellboy.

Here is a video where is a Lexus IS300 with a bc 264 cams and few other basic bolt on upgrades:

I know that this is a VVt-i engine, but it does give you a few answers how it sounds and what are possible gains in power. That car did make a circa 250whp in dyno. Stock cars usually makes about 175-190whp. So i think quite good gains for the money. 2jz GE non VVT-i is little bit better platform for tuning, it has bigger injectors and stronger internals (if you go to turbo route).

If you change cams, you probably should change exhaust manifold and tune your ecu in a way or another. Either piggy back or stand alone ecu. These gives you biggest gains in power. Stock ecu is little bit pain in the ass...

Personally i'm not sure do i buy bc camshafts or do i re-grind stock ones. Let see, but i change ecu and headers in the same time. I'm keeping my dizzy but i change new and stronger valve springs.

Edited by LasseV (see edit history)

I don't know mate, i think more aggressive cams are important in N/A engine if you want to have more power.

Hi Hellboy.

Here is a video where is a Lexus IS300 with a bc 264 cams and few other basic bolt on upgrades:

I know that this is a VVt-i engine, but it does give you a few answers how it sounds and what are possible gains in power. That car did make a circa 250whp in dyno. Stock cars usually makes about 175-190whp. So i think quite good gains for the money. 2jz GE non VVT-i is little bit better platform for tuning, it has bigger injectors and stronger internals (if you go to turbo route).

If you change cams, you probably should change exhaust manifold and tune your ecu in a way or another. Either piggy back or stand alone ecu. These gives you biggest gains in power. Stock ecu is little bit pain in the ass...

Personally i'm not sure do i buy bc camshafts or do i re-grind stock ones. Let see, but i change ecu and headers in the same time. I'm keeping my dizzy but i change new and stronger valve springs.

A lot of money for what would be small gains on a daily driver though. Was that IS300 dyno'd before the changes too? That's a lot of gains for cams and a piggyback map on an NA :O

Also, what part of the VVT-i internals are stronger? All the same as far as I'm aware, the VVT-i may even have weaker/thinner rods

A lot of money for what would be small gains on a daily driver though. Was that IS300 dyno'd before the changes too? That's a lot of gains for cams and a piggyback map on an NA :O

Also, what part of the VVT-i internals are stronger? All the same as far as I'm aware, the VVT-i may even have weaker/thinner rods

Sorry my bad english, but i did wrote that 2jz-ge non VVT-i is stronger than 2jz-ge VVT-i.

I can't say about that dyno, how high it reads etc. But in their website there are differend dynosheets from differend is300 setups so you can go and compare the differences. This particular is300 has all the bolt on upgrades, they are written in video description. To be honest, i don't find those parts that expensive or labour intensive. Good sets of nice wheels can cost more....

I think i know what Hellboy is after. Reliable daily driver with little bit of more oomph. If he wants to change cams, it would be wise to change exhaus headers in the same time and tune that ecu. I'm sure he can feel the difference. Changing adjustable cam gears could be a wise move too and maybe new valve springs. If he eventually goes to turbo route, these mods are not wasted as he can use them later.

I'm personally in the middle of some kind of project so it takes a few months before i can give you more reliable information about gains in hp and performance etc. But Herb has fully build n/a motor so maybe he can give little more information about this topic.

For what you would need to spend on the cams, you will also need some adjustable pulleys to get the best from them, and you would also need to tweak the ignition timing and fueling to see good gains, and even then it would likely be 10-20bhp at most, along with moving the peak power/torque further up the rev range, you better off with going turbo, probably cost the same.

Well maybe he tell us what he is looking for. Going to turbo is far more expensive way and it has few downsides too. Well see.

If he is after the most bang for the buck, changing ecu could be a good bet in a stock engine. Changing stock ecu to aem with basic tune did give 18whp and a lot of more torque after 4t rpm. Torque curve improved in every rpm. Another good thing is improved reliability (stock ecu is old) and he can used it in the future if he makes more modding.

Dyno and tune video:

Edit:

Now i know what kind of car he is building. Camshafts and cam gears could be the solution because they give a little bit of poke but also change sounds for better. Good for showcar for sure.

Edited by LasseV (see edit history)

Well maybe he tell us what he is looking for. Going to turbo is far more expensive way and it has few downsides too. Well see.

If he is after the most bang for the buck, changing ecu could be a good bet in a stock engine. Changing stock ecu to aem with basic tune did give 18whp and a lot of more torque after 4t rpm. Torque curve improved in every rpm. Another good thing is improved reliability (stock ecu is old) and he can used it in the future if he makes more modding.

Dyno and tune video:

Edit:

Now i know what kind of car he is building. Camshafts and cam gears could be the solution because they give a little bit of poke but also change sounds for better. Good for showcar for sure.

Spot on 👍 ill look into it with the manual conversion at same time lol

Spot on  ill look into it with the manual conversion at same time lol

/QUOTE]

If you are building a show car, you should change cam gears anyway, because bling bling :D

Have you thought re-grinding stock cams? Good thing is that they can make cam profile which suits perfectly for your needs. It is a little bit cheaper option, so you save a little bit of money to spent in other parts ie piggy back etc. Or for beer and ladies :nana:

If you are building a show car, you should change cam gears anyway, because bling bling :D

Have you thought re-grinding stock cams? Good thing is that they can make cam profile which suits perfectly for your needs. It is a little bit cheaper option, so you save a little bit of money to spent in other parts ie piggy back etc. Or for beer and ladies :nana:

Lol I don't drink so loads of spare being cash and I have a wife n kids soo.... lol