The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Add turbos to 1998 NA with 15K miles?

Guest fremite

Guest fremite

Hi Folks,

I have a unmolested 1998 NA with 15K original miles and the car is mint in every way. I'm wondering if it would make sense from a resale value (and fun) to add a turbo charger(s). Are there any bolt on kits that look nice and perform well? Would this increase the value or hurt it due to modifications? What should I expect in price to add turbo(s)?

Hi Folks,

I have a unmolested 1998 NA with 15K original miles and the car is mint in every way. I'm wondering if it would make sense from a resale value (and fun) to add a turbo charger(s). Are there any bolt on kits that look nice and perform well? Would this increase the value or hurt it due to modifications? What should I expect in price to add turbo(s)?

Is it a vvti?

Guest fremite
It would be criminal to turbo that. VVTi NA Supras are very rare (as I'm sure you know), the US was the only market that got them, and only at the end of the production run. Yours must be one of the best around.

Thanks. When the car was purchased in 1998 the dealer said this was one of the last ones shipped to the US. Is there anyway to confirm this via the VIN?

Hi Folks,

Adding turbos would probably decrease the value. NA Auto would break easily with a single turbo. Sell it and buy a TT if you want turbos.

Lovely looking example and turbo'ing it would definitely hinder the re-sale value.

However, you asked about fun as well which turbo'ing definitely helps! :D

Price to turbo is too broad a question to give a figure on I'm afraid. Some people have turbo'd on a budget and had very few problems....some have had endless problems. Spend a bit more money on higher end parts and the cost quickly climbs. Your auto box would need some work as well or even a transplant to cope with the power hike. Have a look around for Supra NA-T kits and you'll get an idea on prices. My advice would be to look for kits with good quality parts.

mate that prob one of the lowest millage best ORIGIONAL condition ( ie not re sprayed etc) supras around... in my thoughts to do anything with it would be a mistake. that's like new and not because someone has spend £££ on it just because its is nearly new!!!!!!!!! hi days and holidays rest of time in a garage and go buy ya self a 10k tt auto for ya fun and if you have a stretchy budget go for a 6 speed

Guest fremite

Here's a few more pictures. Based on the feedback I will definitely be keeping the car as is. I didn't realize its on the rare side. Thanks for all the suggestions and information.

sup1.jpg

sup2.jpg

sup3.jpg

sup8.jpg

sup10.jpg