The mkiv Supra Owners Club

'UK' brake caliper fitment

charlton

I've had a search and am obviously doing it wrong as there's a lot of threads on this and I cant narrow it down to what I need

Is there an simple way of checking to see if the larger 4 pot brake calipers will fit my wheels without taking the wheels off? Is it possible to get an idea by measuring the clearance between the 2 pot calipers and wheel spokes?

Edited by charlton (see edit history)

Do you have a set of UK spec calipers already? I only ask because it is a fairly simple job to take wheel off, undo two 17mm caliper bolts, support jspec caliper and tie up brake line and then fit UK spec with two bolts and test. 10 mins max. OR are you potentially purchasing a UK set and want to double check first?

Thanks for the replies guys

Am sure I've seen posts on the difference in size/ clearance needed. What are the wheels and their specs bud, maybe someone is running the same with uk's who could confirm if they fit?

I've seen a post like this before with a template, but you think I can find it...? I'm not sure on the wheels, they were on it when I bought it and I've not investigated properly

Do you have a set of UK spec calipers already? I only ask because it is a fairly simple job to take wheel off, undo two 17mm caliper bolts, support jspec caliper and tie up brake line and then fit UK spec with two bolts and test. 10 mins max. OR are you potentially purchasing a UK set and want to double check first?

/QUOTE]

I have them already, My concern was I don't really have the facilities to try this, although you do make it sound simple - woudln't the heat shield be a problem though? I guess I could give it a go raising the car with the jack in the boot. My concern would be getting the bolts to the right torque after, I have a wrench that will go to 24nm which I doubt will be sufficient - unless as tight as I can get it is?

There are templates available to do this but you'd have to take the wheel off

Heres one for Stoptech http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/bbk-wheel-fitment-templates

Thanks Dunk, that's a good call, is that not just for Stop Tech calipers, or are they similar in size?

Thanks for the replies guys

I've seen a post like this before with a template, but you think I can find it...?

Thanks Dunk, that's a good call, is that not just for Stop Tech calipers, or are they similar in size?

This was just to show you what you can do to check if a caliper will fit inside your wheels, i thought there

was one for the UK fronts but i can't find it.

I have j spec fronts and uk fronts lying about I could pop them in a vice and do some measurements to add to v8killers.

Does anyone currently have uk's and Lexus gs300 sport runs, if so what it the clearance like to the spokes. I currently have these wheels and j specs so could measure to the spokes to give and idea.

my garage is in orpington S.A.S Autoworks my supra spends 99% of its life on my ramp feel free to bring a wheel up and check just let me know in advance as am fairly busy.easiest way saves the guess work

Take him up on it, OP, this is the only way you can be really sure if things are tight, measuring in 3D is fraught with potential inaccuracies without fancy gear.

I had a search and found these diagrams so should be easy to use a rule and see if you have at least 20 mm from

your j spec caliper to the inside of your wheels spokes, if you dont have at least that then it doesn't make any difference

what the spoke profile is like

Cheers Dunk, that's the diagram I had seen before

my garage is in orpington S.A.S Autoworks my supra spends 99% of its life on my ramp feel free to bring a wheel up and check just let me know in advance as am fairly busy.easiest way saves the guess work

That would be great, thank you - you have PM :thumbs: