The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Road legal/Track tyres

mplavery

So I had my alignment checked and adjusted on the Supra at the weekend and after saying how much they loved the car they gave me a little warning about my R888 tyres..

They have informed me that there going to or have done so already making it illegal to have half track tyres on vehicles.

Has anyone heard this else where ??

Also I thought id mention the lads at Feltham Tyre Centre were excellent ! really looked after my car getting onto the ramps making sure they did not damage it.

Highly recommended

Edited by mplavery (see edit history)

I'd hope not as my new car has almost half track tyres on the car from the factory and that's 2015.

I believe R888 was replaced with the R888r or something like that as the original R888 would not be allowed anymore. Perhaps thats what they mean?

Bunmp from Toyo regarding the r888r:

he R888R is not simply an evolution of the existing model, it has been completely re-engineered to give improvements in all areas over the R888. These improvements mean it performs even better on track and surpasses the latest tyre labelling regulations so it is totally legal to use as a road tyre.

This article says they will, but it's from 2009.. ?

http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/236977/trackday_tyres_to_be_outlawed.html

Edited by Ric (see edit history)

I thought it was that it was still legal for us to use R888's but it was illegal for Toyo to produce any more (because of the tread pattern not breaking up the water) so they created the R888R Version that has straight line cut outs in the tyre for spreading the water where as the diagonal cutouts in the R888's just rise above it

I dont think its illegal for toyo to produce the r888, they just cannot be made road legal now which makes it pointless for them to make them anymore

The new R888R is the road legal replacement

Ive not heard of all semi slicks becoming illegal

I hope this is not the case as my tyres are new lol

Yea I know Toto now stop the R888 to R888r's. They admitted that they wasn't 100% sure but just wanted me to be aware that this may be the case. He mentioned he thinks Yoko's have stopped there half track tyres to because of this situation

Ric, unless there still trying to do this but hasn't happened yet maybe ..

Yea it seems so, as that's the case I wont worry about lol

It's not so much the tyres they make illegal! They change the percentage of how much rubber contact to road between the water channels if you know what I mean? It's all to do with aqua planning when hitting standing water, so they reduce the size of the contact area to the road! I think this is the reason why they stopped making the R888 and then produced the R888R! Manufacturers will just change the contact area to suit and rename the road legal track day tyre!

Yep I assumed its due down to how these tyres performing in the wet, R888 are known to be crap which you would expect anyways.. There just covering there ass

It's not so much the tyres they make illegal! They change the percentage of how much rubber contact to road between the water channels if you know what I mean? It's all to do with aqua planning when hitting standing water, so they reduce the size of the contact area to the road! I think this is the reason why they stopped making the R888 and then produced the R888R! Manufacturers will just change the contact area to suit and rename the road legal track day tyre!