The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New speeding fines

Scooter

Ouch! Interesting that the fine is income related, is that a new concept or does it happen now? And are the short term disqualifications a new thing? As far as I know we don't have either of those in NI, I think there's a maximum fine and the amount applied is at the discretion of the judge, and any disqualifications I've ever heard of have been for a year minimum

Yet another money making scheme by the looks of it.

It really does annoy me that they hit motorists who speed so hard yet driving whilst messing around on mobile phone/applying makeup or any other distraction seems much more acceptable.

I would argue that somebody speeding on the motorway in a straight line is much less of a risk than somebody on a mobile/texting. I'm sure we all see both happening on a regular basis.

Ouch! Interesting that the fine is income related, is that a new concept or does it happen now?

Fines based on your income isn't a new thing. My stepdad was fined something like £900 for undertaking on the motorway because his income is something like 45-50k

This is a cash grab. It's almost like they want us to watch out speedometers more than the road.

Edited by Karl M N (see edit history)

Also the fines are seemingly capped at a few thousand so the properly rich get hit for less than their favourite bottle of bubbly!

Re the phones point I agree it's more dangerous than minor speeding, but that is also going up to 6 points and £200 fine, and you can't just pull over you have to have the engine turned off too to be in the clear for making a call. This will probably catch out a fair few youngsters/recent passers and mean a retest etc on top.

Seeing I only pay myself £7,800 a year to be just above the NI threshold I quite like this new system of fines set relative to weekly salary. Doesn't mention anywhere that they calculate in dividend income. So company owners and those who are self employed should be all good with this.

Speed isn't the cause of accidents though :)

Speed is always a contributory factor. This is a great way of getting someone for more money than they would have done before. £100 fine to 42 in a 30 could now be the best part of a weeks wage, say £500. Brilliant increase potential.

If you are pissed, not indicating, doing a burnout on a roundabout (like I saw on Wednesday), nothing changes. You aren't going to get detected so you may as well crack on. I wonder what the fines are for having false plates? It may actually be worth doing now if the fines for speeding are so high.

H.

I got banned for doing 138 MPH on the M8, I got 3 months ban, a £1,000 fine, BUT no points, i was in court in Dumfrese under the Procurator Fiscal, the Barrister Gavin Oare cost me £750, but saved me being banned for 12 months. The M/Way where i was nicked, with "Vascar", was quiet and out in the sticks, Betocke, the cops were very polite and if i had been over the border into England, i would have been arrested for dangerous driving, and my car compounded.

I agree with what a member has said, it cannot be a safety issue? on M/Ways, the Autobahn proves that and the Isle of Man in the past, speed in urban areas is stupid, i do not do it, so this is where i would clobber the offenders.

Congestion is growing rapidly, and speeding will become a thing of the past, enjoy your car whilst you can as technology is moving in rapidly, making easy money. Herbie.

Edited by herbiemercman (see edit history)

The danger is the idiots that slalom their way through the motorway traffic which I saw on Tuesday on the way back from Brum. A complete numpty tailgated repeatedly, swung very recklessly through busy M6 traffic, then like a complete cock, drove at 45 in the third lane in part one of Stafford roadworks filming himself delibarately holding up the traffic. Of course no plain clothes cops around to catch him. Oh Jag XF OY66 M something something....

But yes the cash cow are the motorists that do 36 in a 40 or something heineously similar.