The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What tyres are you guys running on OEM 17 inch wheels???

raddys

Looking for new tyres,i was going to go for michelin pilot sport 4's or super sports but it seems they dont do them in the sizes i want. The standard sizes of 235 45 17 & 255 40 17 dont match well in my eyes as the front bulges past the face of the rim and the rear looks slightly stretched to me.. my idea is to go for a 235 front and 275 rear.. however i can only find toyo r888 in this fitment. I want the best tyres but feel r888 is overkill for fast road driving, although im considering them. So my question is what are you guys running and what would you suggest?

Thanks

I wouldn't go that different width wise as I'm sure it'll make it understeery/upset the balance?

I know what you mean and i have thought about this, however i imagine in just fast road driving i wouldnt get upto the speeds where understeer would make an appearance (eg: im not going around turns/roundabouts at 60mph) it is infact the rear end that goes 1st if im foot down round a corner. I imagine the factory set up is good for a standard 280bhp car but i feel now that im bpu the extra little bit of width would help the back keep the extra ponies down. This is just my logical explanation though.. what do you think?

Cant even get michelin pilot sports/sport 3/sport 4 or super sports in a 255 40 17 .. the only ones are pilot sports 2 (which are no longer in production).. any one recommend any other tyres?

235 45 17 isnt a problem as it seems to be a common size but 255/265/275 40 17 isnt very popular?

Really not sure what to go for as semi slicks are not what i really need :/

Goodyear F1 2's seem to be available in the stock sizes, it seems that the standard 17 sizes are slowly being dropped (with each new tyre range) as has happened to the stock 16" sizes? :(

Camskill has some interesting semislick options in Nankang NS2R and Federal RSR but not sure I'd recommend them for a road car tbh.

On my bpu car I have 245 front 275 rear Vredstein sessanta's which I like but I think are discontinued now, on my totally stock car I have currently 245/45/17 winter tyres all round! (in summer I have the stock sizes and like you will need to buy new ones soon)

I agree that BPU does give them a much harder time of things and I've not had bpu and stock tyre sizes ever, saying that I'd be tempted to stick with good quality stock sizes and perhaps even reign the boost in a bit for winter/spring? but I understand most want as much power as they can get!

What tyres are on it now?

In the same boat and buying tyres in a matter of days.

275/40/17 nothing

265/40/17 only Falken left

255/40/17 Goodyear Eagle & Toyo t1s. Camskill listed a lot more but actually finding them to order wasn't working out for Pirelli/Vreds/Yokos

Can't find anything in XX/45/17s

Goodyear F1 2's seem to be available in the stock sizes, it seems that the standard 17 sizes are slowly being dropped (with each new tyre range) as has happened to the stock 16" sizes? :(

Camskill has some interesting semislick options in Nankang NS2R and Federal RSR but not sure I'd recommend them for a road car tbh.

On my bpu car I have 245 front 275 rear Vredstein sessanta's which I like but I think are discontinued now, on my totally stock car I have currently 245/45/17 winter tyres all round! (in summer I have the stock sizes and like you will need to buy new ones soon)

I agree that BPU does give them a much harder time of things and I've not had bpu and stock tyre sizes ever, saying that I'd be tempted to stick with good quality stock sizes and perhaps even reign the boost in a bit for winter/spring? but I understand most want as much power as they can get!

What tyres are on it now?

Bridgestone S02 rears

Bridgestone RE002 fronts

They dont match.. which is my pet hate lol

Bridgestone S02 rears

Bridgestone RE002 fronts

They dont match.. which is my pet hate lol

I know what you mean but it's not always that bad as long as the tyres are top notch. The new premium rubber of any type should be a marked improvement of the old worn ones, I have a feeling the SO2's in the stock size aren't available so the current ones may be quite old, have you tried to find the week/year reference on them at all?

I know what you mean but it's not always that bad as long as the tyres are top notch. The new premium rubber of any type should be a marked improvement of the old worn ones, I have a feeling the SO2's in the stock size aren't available so the current ones may be quite old, have you tried to find the week/year reference on them at all?

I haven't looked tbh, will tomorrow

Im going for..

YOKOHAMA ADVAN AD08'r

standard fitment and they have steel side walls and according to reviews have an amazing level of grip and very good turn in and handling in the dry which is perfect for me as its only a weekend toy and it doesnt come out in the rain.. once they have arrived and are on i shall report back and let you guys know if they are any good :)