The mkiv Supra Owners Club

More MKV Rumours

Thorin

Toyota would be stupid to miss such a great opportunity...to build a replacement for the current Supra..

In my opinion if I was Mr Toyota.

1. It would be called a Toyota Supra.

2. 4ltr + and turbo charged.

3. be under £35k

4. Have the same Learjet Cockpit feel.

5. Be technically advanced in the same simplified way the Mkiv is.

6. Have a bodystyle that may look ungainly now but will eventually be caught up by other car designers.

The thing is the Supra we own now, did not inspire many in 93, there was a recession, everyone was busy impressing the neighbours (as encouraged by the Tories) Owning a Toyota didn't give anyone the impression that you had arrived...and no-one particularly liked the curves when the car industry was making squared off cars....it was just too ahead of its time for the UK/Europe...but then the Japs have always been about 10 years ahead of us...I mean their main TV station NHK has been broadcasting in High Definition for around 10 years at least...the BBC plans to go high def in about 5 - 6 years from now...so it gives you an indication how far behind we are in almost everything!

:taped:

3. be under £35k

Yeah it would be nice, but I think it unrealistic, besides the MKIV was £40k+ when released wasn't it?

Yep ya right was about £42k so I would have to wait to get a second hand one thats a year old or so..as before..

Everytime Toyota or Lexus brings some drawing out or whatever....the Media says 'oh look its the new Supra' If they designed a fooking battle tank...they would say its the new Supra....

it has the have the letters S.U.P.R.A. written on its sexy ass before I'm convinced!

:swear: :cool:

One will use a 3.5-liter development of the new V6 (introduced in the 2006 Lexus GS 300), making 300 horsepower. The second, higher-intensity model could use the company's 4.3-liter V8, tweaked to give about 350 hp.

Is it just me, or do those figures sound out of whack? 50hp difference in the V6 to the V8? A mere 50hp for fuel cost, insurance, weight, etc? I would think the V8 should push 400hp+ at a minimum.

A 3.5 litre pushing 300bhp is 86bhp per litre, and a 4.3 litre pushing 350bhp is 81bhp per litre, in they are about equal in that respect. The bhp per litre figures aren't exactly state of the art for a road engine, though. You could get those with last-generation, non-variable technology and I would expect these to have VVTL-i at the very least.

The V8 might be tuned for low-end torque rather than top end power.

Personally I would discount this web site as having old/bad information.

IMO that image is more likely to be where the Celica goes than the Supra...if it's being pitched at the Z4/S2000 etc.

IMO lots of crossed wires and bollox. :) :p

The "Spiritual" Successor of the Supra will be something akin to the LF-A with a V8 or V10. It has to be IMO.

They wont put a 2.4 V8 in it, you need to remember thats a race spec engine, and anything road wise will be different displacement and tuned for road use.

Plus they have the weight of a car to pull, not a carbon fibre paper aeroplane.

But its a Lexus!!!!!! Heeellloooo...thats like saying that if the Mkiv Supra hadn't arrived the SC430 would have been the replacement...

Yep I accept that this new Concept Lexus is the nearest dam thing we have seen yet...but hang on Walnut Dash!!!!! this is a Lexus Soarer replacement surely.

But I see where ya all going on this....do ya think we will get a surprise one day when Autocar's front page will say OFFICIAL-NEW SUPRA...I hope so I dont want a walnut dash!

:dummy:

The pic of the interior is grouped with the pics of The LF-A...so I'm guessing that Rover 75 Interior with the Lexus badge is the official one...or is that a mistake! ...and its got a bleeding cassete player too...bet theres no DAB radio either triffic....huh...

I cant see myself driving that, i'd feel like aI retired pipe smoking admiral at the helm of the Cutty Sark.

:dummy:

Does anyone else see a fan in the pics of the rear throught the mesh?

Yes...cause the radiators are rear mounted....those fans aer there to pull air through the rads and out the back.

It's a great piece of engineering which allows them to reduce frontal area and use lower the drag of the car.

Does anyone else see a fan in the pics of the rear throught the mesh?

Haven't we been through all of this before????

About a month or two back there were pics of this car at Detroit or somewhere similar. All the same questions were going around then.

That first dash pic isn't from the LFA, I suspect it's from the Lexus pictured a few photos back.

(Edited to add pic of dash)

yep thats what i thought it looked like...But ya know how it goes with this concept car business they start off with Lambo doors, rear veiw cameras, a dash that makes the star ship Enterprise Bridge look like the one on the Titanic, then when the car goes on the production line....all ya get is a couple of 'High Tech' cup holders and a walnut dash.

If the dash ends up looking like that, ill eat my nob!

(after an operation to remove a couple of ribs)

:rolleyes:

I can't help but think they want to tie it all in with their F1 program in some way. The F1 car has a V10 so I'd expect to see that, but with the F1 engine regs being changed (2.4 V8s wasn't it?) then maybe they'll go for that.

Just seems to fit in nicely from a marketing point of view - the new top of the range Toyota GT car has the same engine used in the all-conquering F1 car. Yes, all conquering - that's the other big problem I'm having with these 'new Supra' rumours. All the time they're trundling around at the back I don't think they'll be too keen to launch a new supercar. They may be trying out concepts at the moment (inc. the test car mule going round the Nurburgring) but I bet they don't launch until the F1 cars are running at the front. They'll want something back from all that money spent on the F1 program - tieing their F1 success in with their new supercar seems the perfect fit.

Oh, and this Lexus/Toyota debate - the F1 program also suggests to me that the new supercar will very much be a Toyota. There's not enough general public knowledge of the Lexus/Toyota connection to attempt to tie the Toyota F1 program in with a Lexus supercar.

Just gotta wait now... :tumble: