The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Diff upgrade options

JackyBoi

Hi guys. I'll get straight into it - I currently have an open diff in my Supra which replaced the A03B when it broke, but now the open diff is just unbearable and makes the car awful to drive. That being said I simply don't have the money for a new TRD or OS Giken, so I was wondering if there are other LSD's out there that can swap into the Supra and handle ~600bhp without too much trouble. My initial thought would be to look at diff's from a Lexus (or other Toyota's, or a different manufacturer) but I have no idea if they would be compatible on a Supra chassis or if they were even available as an LSD. Failing that is there another, cheaper LSD that can replace the OEM small diff? Or is it literally a case of sticking with OEM, or buying a big case TRD/OS Giken?

So basically I was wondering if anyone can tell me if:

- Are there any Lexus' with an LSD that will fit the Supra chassis?

- What about Toyota, or another manufacturer?

- Any other differentials available in the U.K. that would fit a Supra and not break the bank at over 1k?

Thanks for your help everyone :thumbs:

I think the easiest answer is no to all of the above. Has the open diff been welded by any chance?

If you are set on a TRD you should know they are now discontinued. If you manage to find a new one be prepared to pay some serious money. I wouldn't even consider paying the price people ask for these secondhand unless you know the person and know the diff has been properly looked after. You could be buying a ticking time bomb.

Save up for the OS Giken. CW has been saying for years they are the best available for our cars. Maybe ask one of the traders if they would be prepared to split payments so the outlay easier to swallow. It's doesn't help immediately I know but would be a good way to get the best LSD available.

E2A

There are other cheaper aftermarket LSDs like Cusco or Kaaz but these are known to make alarming noises whilst driving.

Edited by Frank Bullitt (see edit history)

I think the easiest answer is no to all of the above.

TRD are discontinued, if you manage to find a new one be prepared to pay some serious money. I wouldn't even consider paying the price people ask for these secondhand unless you know the person and know the diff has been properly looked after. You could be buying a ticking time bomb.

Save up for the OS Giken, CW has been saying they are the best for years. Maybe ask one of the traders to split payments so the outlay easier to swallow, it's doesn't help immediately I know.

E2A

There are other aftermarket LSD's but you would be wasting your money.

Ah I see, that's a real shame :( I was hoping some of the Lexus LSD's might swap into a Supra, oh well! Looks like I'll be saving the pennies for an OS Giken for a while then. Thanks for the help mate

Whifbitz use a LS400 Lexus diff which is a 3.2 ratio with there DCT gearbox conversion I believe. I may be wrong though. But the ratios will be diffrent because you're using the V160/61 box. So what i just said is probably irrelevant.

Lexus diff isn't LSD, but is the right 3.2 ratio for the v160/v161

Ah I see, that's a real shame :( I was hoping some of the Lexus LSD's might swap into a Supra, oh well! Looks like I'll be saving the pennies for an OS Giken for a while then. Thanks for the help mate

The rebuild kit for the diff will eat into your budget. Personally, I would just fit an oem lsd on your budget.

The TRD ones are fantastic though, I'm on my second now. The car feels planted in corners, it makes no noise, and has no bad traits (except for a very tiny amount of wheel hop during full lock at low speed). As said, you'll struggle to find a red one now (I was very lucky) but from what I gather, the Giken one is even better if that's possible.

That information is completely wrong. Many Lexus diffs swap straight in. Aristo, gs300, Soarers, take your pick. Done Toyota/Lexus swaps on quite a few vehicles.

That information is completely wrong. Many Lexus diffs swap straight in. Aristo, gs300, Soarers, take your pick. Done Toyota/Lexus swaps on quite a few vehicles.

/QUOTE]

Really? first I have heard of this but great news if its true, have to look into some Aristo diffs.

Really? first I have heard of this but great news if its true, have to look into some Aristo diffs.

They do indeed. Sure a Soarer is exactly the same floor pan and subframe as a supra. A GS300 will take a Supra lsd and vice versa. LS400 internals will fit inside a supra case and vice versa. Some of the is200/300 diffs will fit but its model dependant. Some of the more obscure JDM only stuff also can be mix matched but its harder to find info on. Give it a shot mate.

The Lexus SC430 also seems to share a floorpan with the Supra. According to the Lexus forums, using a Supra LSD is a popular conversion and a straight swap. (Presumably the SC430 uses a small case diff, none were limited slip from the factory)

Yea thats correct. The SC series are the american version of a soarer

They do indeed. Sure a Soarer is exactly the same floor pan and subframe as a supra. A GS300 will take a Supra lsd and vice versa. LS400 internals will fit inside a supra case and vice versa. Some of the is200/300 diffs will fit but its model dependant. Some of the more obscure JDM only stuff also can be mix matched but its harder to find info on. Give it a shot mate.

/QUOTE]

Dude that is such useful information thank you so much! What about the Lexus IS200? There's loads of diff's available from that car. Any LSD that spins both wheels will do me a world of good [emoji23] is there an easy way to check which models came with an LSD?

The question wasn't if a Lexus diff would fit, as we already know that's possible.

It was if Lexus had the LSD diff

True! After looking online it seems all IS200 Sport's share the A02B which 'should' swap straight into mine given it was an A03B from factory. Both are small diff, big flange...

There is a kaaz lsd in the forsale section mate

/QUOTE]

Yeah I saw that buddy, out of my price range though plus for a few hundred more you could get a brand new OS Giken

Glad you managed to find an OEM diff to fit. Are you happy going from a 3.266:1 to a 3.769:1 ratio?

For about a year, I went from a 3.266:1 to a 3.769:1 (91-97 Aristo 3.0V (2JZ-GTE model, auto))

Found it fantastic , in the real world 100KM is generally the limit you can max out on a public road , the quicker acceleration was great!

I could not list any negatives for my power level , just positives

Going up the power band the strength of the Big case diff would be beneficial

For about a year, I went from a 3.266:1 to a 3.769:1 (91-97 Aristo 3.0V (2JZ-GTE model, auto))

Found it fantastic , in the real world 100KM is generally the limit you can max out on a public road , the quicker acceleration was great!

I could not list any negatives for my power level , just positives

Going up the power band the strength of the Big case diff would be beneficial

Have to agree, UK Spec auto diff i kept when i converted mine to 6 speed is the best diff choice of the lot. Mental acceleration and being the big diff will take the power and as much abuse as you want to throw at it!