The mkiv Supra Owners Club

braided brake line opinions/options

ripped_fear

So I'm planning on over hauling the brakes on my TT as I seem to have a wheel wobble under braking coming though the steering wheel. Im guessing a warped disk on the front or maybe the worn disks on the rear.

I'm either going to go a Big brake setup (depending on funds) or re-new all the oem bits as TCB are very reasonably priced and they did a great job on the old car.

However I want to add braided brake lines into the mix, and was wondering what ones are best, they all seem to be priced around the same amount give or take, so which are the 'best' if there is such a thing.

I had Goodrich on the old car and they were great but thought Id ask before ordering as im planning my next stages for the car.

Any opinions please chip in, pro's and con's etc :)

Cheers

Jake

I ended up going for Goodridge Phantom Brakelines, not the cheapest out there but a known entity and they can be bought in Blue! You will probably be best buying new OEM clips at the same time but their price is rather eye watering.

I'll dig out the part numbers for you :)

E2A

Here you go, you will need 4 of each.

Star-Clip 90523-12004

C-Clip 90468-08035

Edited by Frank Bullitt (see edit history)

Mr Wilson on lines

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?323435-Fuel-and-oil-lines&highlight=chris+wilson+brake+lines

Hard lines, in say Kunifer tube (copper alloy) are the safest, none corroding, and cheapest way to do fuel lines, so long as you can buy it in a suitable diameter, and are not running "funny fuels". Otherwise teflon lined, stainless braided hose. be sure the braid IS stainless, some junk on EWbay is galvanised steel braid, and that even goes brake lines, God help us. The zinc rubs off, the steel corrodes, the liner bursts, in brake usage especially. Go known brand. Use known brand fittings. I have had a fitting fail on an oil cooler, turned out to be a (very good) fake. For oil and ATF a normal rubber lined, branded aeromotive braided hose should be fine, and is a lot easier to route as it's a lot more flexible. Note fitti8ngs for rubber lined braided hose will NOT transfer to Teflon lined hose, so don't try it!! They each have dedicated fittings and they are used without sealant, tape or magic potions. Fit dry, torque up sensibly, gorillas keep away. They do NOT need to be mad tight!

Do not get HEL lines. I had them once on my IS200 and would never use them again. Ever.

Any reason why?

I ended up going for Goodridge Phantom Brakelines, not the cheapest out there but a known entity and they can be bought in Blue! You will probably be best buying new OEM clips at the same time but their price is rather eye watering.

I'll dig out the part numbers for you :)

E2A

Here you go, you will need 4 of each.

Star-Clip 90523-12004

C-Clip 90468-08035

They look good mate, will consider them for sure. cheers. they are winning atm

Goodridge. HEL don't accept the proper clips to hold them to the body tabs. They are too deeply undercut and can break at the base of the grooves. They often don't have the right pipe routing brackets, blah blah. I used to have my own done, but the firm decided to cut corners and I couldn't be arsed arguing all the time about why a brake hose needs to be 110% correct.

Just ordered some new Goodridge ones too after reading this thread :) If you email them first Jake and ask for best price they will send you a discount code :) saved me £13

Looks like I need a set of these. My car been sitting in the garage for two years doing nothing, taken for a MOT and brakes felt a little spongy so im going to replace the flexi lines and fluid

Shawn did you order new clips too ?

Shawn did you order new clips too ?

I didn't to be honest mate no... didn't think about it actually. good thinking :)

Who sent you a discount code? Goodridge direct?

/QUOTE]

Yes mate from Goodridge, see email below... not sure if the code is a generic one or if its specific to each customer, I just emailed and asked what the best price they could do would be.

attachment.php?attachmentid=216816&stc=1&d=1486029940

brake.JPG