The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How cumfy are you at speed?

herbiemercman

Hi Dudes, First of all the speeds i refer to are on private circuits etc.

What it is i am not the youngest member on our club site and i have a car which will reach high speeds, i was informed, post NAT it has been limited to 170MPH. The fastest i have ever been on a machine is circa 180MPH in the IOM tt races.

Anyway the question i am asking, as i am fascinated by other peoples experience is, how cumfortable are you when you get to the 140 mark, or more, in your Supra ?

My Supra is fairly low geared so from 100 to 130 is quite quick and this is enough for most other Merc. Audi. etc cars that are out there, may be they give up, due to watching you-tube etc and knowing that the Supra is a car on its own, However i digress, i do not know if it is the concept of speed in a 20 yr old car? all be it they were many years ahead of there time with the aero dynamics etc, but i am now feeling i am going really quick and up to date not considered if i could do the quoted 170. ?

What do you think. ? Herbie.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Dudes, First of all the speeds i refer to are on private circuits etc.

What it is i am not the youngest member on our club site and i have a car which will reach high speeds, i was informed, post NAT it has been limited to 170MPH. The fastest i have ever been on a machine is circa 180MPH in the IOM tt races.

Anyway the question i am asking, as i am fascinated by other peoples experience is, how cumfortable are you when you get to the 140 mark, or more, in your Supra ?

My Supra is fairly low geared so from 100 to 130 is quite quick and this is enough for most other Merc. Audi. etc cars that are out there, may be they give up, due to watching you-tube etc and knowing that the Supra is a car on its own, However i digress, i do not know if it is the concept of speed in a 20 yr old car? all be it they were many years ahead of there time with the aero dynamics etc, but i am now feeling i am going really quick and up to date not considered if i could do the quoted 170. ?

What do you think. ? Herbie.

If they're J spec brakes I can see peeping from behind your 19"? wheels, you might feel a lot happier at +3 digits with some better brakes?

As long as the suspension components are all in good working order with correct geometry settings, with round wheels and tyres that are rated to a sufficient speed number and whatever front that is on it, is nailed on properly, your Supra would be "cumfy at speed", even if you weren't.

And even comfier with stock wheels, tyres and ride height.

Edited by David P (see edit history)

I love the adrenaline of high speed, been over 200mph many times. Every time I do a big speed run in a supra it looks like the bonnet is going to come up, defiantly something to watch out for. Forget what any speedo says. GPS only.

So much easier going 200+ on motorbikes. If you have an iPhone try the mototracker app, very easy to use. this was on my H2.

Edited by JamieP (see edit history)

As jamie says as you get to higher speeds you can see the bonnet lift,

I was banned for driving in my supra when I got caught doing 147mph only reason I slowed down was I hit boost cut before I was even bpu many moons ago

I have gone faster and the supra just feels so planted at high speeds its amazing perfict stearing and grip it gives you the feed back to make you feel confident to do it

Very comfy at 175mph where I just can't get it to go any faster as I'm still on stock twins! Feels very planted and connected to the road! Just drive as fast as you feel comfy, anything more and you're putting you're own life in danger, high speeds aren't for everyone!

I find the Supra to be horrible in terms of speed driving. I don't drive fast, never faster than 60-65mph, but even at those speeds the Supra seems to 'float' on the road surface. It doesn't feel connected to the road at all.

I think it feels pretty good at speed, mine's never been floaty or unstable. It felt a little bit better after I fitted an active spoiler but that might just be a placebo effect :D

I find the Supra to be horrible in terms of speed driving. I don't drive fast, never faster than 60-65mph, but even at those speeds the Supra seems to 'float' on the road surface. It doesn't feel connected to the road at all.

Almost sure there is something wrong with your supra, wishbones bushes worn most likely.

I'm curious is there a tendency for the bonnet to lift at very high speed? Or would this be due to poorly adjusted bonnet locks?

/QUOTE]

Mine always bend in the middle, I just fit bonnet pins and don't worry.

supra only went 155 banging the limiter (na) but bikes 189mph on most 1000's ive had 211mph on my 1999 gsx1300r all were just speedo readings, the 211mph was a killer on my neck even with a double bubble you cant get down low enough without being able to see.

bike days are over as work added to my contract road bikes are out, not been over 140mph in ages however 70mph on the off road bikes on single track feels the same as 150 on the road

I love the adrenaline of high speed, been over 200mph many times. Every time I do a big speed run in a supra it looks like the bonnet is going to come up, defiantly something to watch out for. Forget what any speedo says. GPS only.

So much easier going 200+ on motorbikes. If you have an iPhone try the mototracker app, very easy to use. this was on my H2.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c338/jamie450x/H2/E9FB24D8-8E19-41C1-9A2A-D65B236C89D1.png

I will have to get this app

Done 170 on the bike but that was speedo reading

Also done 160 in the Supra (speedo) and was impressed how it held the road ! one thing I was worried about was my aftermarket bumper getting ripped off but had no issues

Have to agree with Jamie on his comment, Sorry but have to suggest you may be better off with a Micra...its a bit like buying a race horse and putting it in front of a cart.

Some great replies dudes glad i did the thread, the bonnet is some thing i never considered and the increased pressure, (PxA = Force), in the engine bay at high speed makes the possible problem obvious, be good if Peter Richards could post details of the supplier for the bonnet pins, or PM me if the Club rules don't allow you to post the info.

I experienced a bonnet flying up at speed, approaching a bend in my friends big Ford some years back, it was a massive shock, thought i had run into the side of a furniture van, luckily i could just see a bit under the lower edge to avoid a major disaster, cost me a new bonnet and screen, and a good friend for 6 months.

Anyway the bonnet and a blow out on a front tyre would be my concerns. Herbie.

PS: I like Tricky's posting.lol.

Edited by herbiemercman (see edit history)

i was going to get the aerocatches , but they are just to big , so the ones im getting are small and round , should do the job and not look to much out of place.

there are a few types , ordinary ones and ones you can lock , if you type quick release bonnet clips in e bay you can see the ones

Edited by peter richards (see edit history)