The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Importing from eire, republic of ireland

Supra-love

Assuming you are referring to a car that is over 10 years old there should be nothing to do beyond registering it and getting a MOT test (if over 3 years old). Now if you leave it a couple of years you may then have to pay duty and VAT but that's for another discussion.

Assuming you are referring to a car that is over 10 years old there should be nothing to do beyond registering it and getting a MOT test (if over 3 years old). Now if you leave it a couple of years you may then have to pay duty and VAT but that's for another discussion.

It's a 1996 Supra buddy. Imported from Japan straight to cork south Ireland, never been in the uk.

Ok so Dvla says in the phone I need to

Contact revenue and customs. Complete web form. And talk by phone if needed.

Inform Hmrc.gov.uk/nova

Get the V55/5 sent off with my identity, and all car documents from south Ireland.

£55- fee

Tax the car.

And get a British mot before driving.

Can I not insure the car as it is to get me home on the Irish plates?

I have no way to trailer the car or get it from Holyhead port.

Thanks

With a V55/5 you don't actually need to fill in that much information, you can leave a lot of boxes blank.

I went through the process when I imported a car from the USA. if you use the link and head to the end of the thread it goes through completing a V55/5 and what accompanying docs are required with the application (this includes a MOT pass certificate).

http://www.mocgb.net/forums/showthread.php?70186-New-65-Fastback-Just-Imported/page2

You can VIN insure the car pending UK registration. You need to be selective on insurer as some have a 1 month limit, others don't, and you need to get the MOT done and passed and forms sent to the DVLA and their sending back a registration before you time out. With the V55 you'll also send the road tax money.

Edited by rider (see edit history)

Technically if you insure it, then book a MOT at the nearest garage to Holyhead, you're covered to drive it there. If it passes then you can tax by internet or phone as long as the sytem has updated. I'd speak to the DVLA again to clarify for sure, ie will the irish plates cause a problem at MOT?

With a V55/5 you don't actually need to fill in that much information, you can leave a lot of boxes blank.

I went through the process when I imported a car from the USA. if you use the link and head to the end of the thread it goes through completing a V55/5 and what accompanying docs are required with the application (this includes a MOT pass certificate).

http://www.mocgb.net/forums/showthread.php?70186-New-65-Fastback-Just-Imported/page2

You can VIN insure the car pending UK registration. You need to be selective on insurer as some have a 1 month limit, others don't, and you need to get the MOT done and passed and forms sent to the DVLA and their sending back a registration before you time out. With the V55 you'll also send the road tax money.

So I can just vin insure he car and drive home from the port without being illegal in anyway?

Then contact and do any forms from home say within 2 weeks?

No, it won't be legal unless you have trade plates unless you head straight down to a MOT station from the port and it passes. Its advisable to VIN insure so you don't risk facing a total loss should it get stolen or damaged in any way even if you trailer it home from the port. Your VIN insurance does cover you to drive to a MOT station but not for anything else until you get a MOT pass. I checked that with my Mustang. Police are OK with VIN insurance also, as clearly you may well get pulled driving without plates. If the car has retained its Irish plates I doubt you'd get any police interest but again you won't be insured for road use until you have a valid MOT pass.

If you drive before registration then you would need to declare the dates to the DVLA or face the prospect of fines resulting from a camera pick up on a untaxed vehicle. Which won't be an issue if the car has retained its irish plates.

Edited by rider (see edit history)

Just for info I got a car transported from Northern Ireland to Surrey for a fair bit less than £500 (Eamon McLaughlin £415) when you take travel time and petrol into account it isn't that much more money and saves loads of logistical issues. Assuming you are buying unseen?

Will be going to view the car before the final purchase to test it and make sure all is well. Then plan was to return and collect with a bank transfer there and then! I will give a import company a call now see what they say.

I imported a car from the south into Northern Ireland and it was a gift to do, drive it home, you won't get a tax book as the southern set up isn't like the uk set up, the old owner will post it away for you , once you get home Mot the car on chassis plate, fill in whatever form ( can't remember ) and send new mot certificate and it will register the car to the uk, pay the £80 fee and that gets you a tax book and a number for your plate, once you have that get number plates made up and tax the car, it's as easy as that

Now importing a car from U.K. To Southern Ireland is a totally different ball game costing thousands of euro

Also to point out the Irish police are like the coast guard useless and to busy doing other things , the car might still be taxed and Nct ( Irish mot ) get yourself insurance and drive to the boat, once in the uk the uk police will have no idea if its taxes or motd so you should be fine even if it doesn't have any at all, as long as your insured

Remember it will be on Irish number plates and won't even register with the U.K. Police, or get the lend of trade plates lol

Edited by Darragh (see edit history)

Has the car just been imported? If so, it may not be registered in ROI yet either which obviously potentially complicates things, and may (or may not, I've no idea :D) mean that import duty has to be paid?

No the car has been there a few years buddy since 2011. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I live in holyhead, if you need an mot please let me know as we are friend's with a local garage.

He will do an emissions friendly mot if you get what I'm saying

Very kind thank you mate. Will keep it in mind

Guest Cillian

Now importing a car from U.K. To Southern Ireland is a totally different ball game costing thousands of euro

I can vouch for this, my supra was imported from the Uk to Ireland recently. Took about 6 weeks and €1500 to get it on the road

I can vouch for this, my supra was imported from the Uk to Ireland recently. Took about 6 weeks and €1500 to get it on the road

Quite glad I'm getting from south Ireland rather than the other way round then! Lol. Still quite a big process though,

anyone for some trade plates I can use? Need to be 100% covered...

Did you ring your insurance company to see if they would insure on the VIN? I did it when needing to drive it to the VRT (Irish tax place) centre so surely you can do it in the UK. I agree that if the car is taxed and NCT'd you wont be stopped, without those you could be as most Garda cars have ANPR. Depends where in Cork you're driving it from though, city centre will get you pulled id say but from the countryside to the port you'll probably be ok.

Out of curiosity what Supra is it? Im in Limerick near north Cork...

Did you ring your insurance company to see if they would insure on the VIN? I did it when needing to drive it to the VRT (Irish tax place) centre so surely you can do it in the UK. I agree that if the car is taxed and NCT'd you wont be stopped, without those you could be as most Garda cars have ANPR. Depends where in Cork you're driving it from though, city centre will get you pulled id say but from the countryside to the port you'll probably be ok.

Out of curiosity what Supra is it? Im in Limerick near north Cork...

Yea sky insurance can insure me so I can get it home. The car is 10mins from airport and 5mins from the ferry!!