The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Talk Coilovers to me :)

ShawnPreece

Looking for a set of new coilovers but not really dabbled in this area of buying before... I got Tein adjustable's on it atm and to be fair I cant fault them they seem great but when looking for new ones there are a lot of different types available...

I know Nitrons are the top around but not really looking at spending £2k on some with the amount of money im spending on the rest of the car right now. Im thinking along the lines of another set of Tein adjustables but just wondering what kind you guys have used and recommend that are of equivalent price range?

Thanks in advance :)

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From reading afew threads I think the KW's are rated quite well. I'm stuck between the KW's and HKS as to which to buy for myself. Won't you get a set of Teins for well under 2k?

/QUOTE]

Yeah the Teins are looking anywhere between £500-£900 kind of range depending on type, was meaning the Nitrons are about the £2k but looking to spend around half of that really, the HKS are tempting me too but ideally looking at something around the £1k range if I can find anything good enough for this price, if I cant then I will be looking at them in more detail.

If they don't need to be height adjustable, I'd go with a set of CW Bilsteins with custom springs and custom valving. Will perform better than equivalent coilovers for the cost, better quality, and you will be able to have them rebuilt if necessary.

Ahh ok thanks, sorry for my lack of knowledge in this area but the CW meaning the ones that Chris Wilson modifies? Iv heard he done something with one of the sets of coilovers but didnt know any details about it

I have MeisterR CRDs on mine and i absolutely love them.

Think they were around £700 but i really can not fault them atall.

Ride height, damper rate, and spring pre load adjustable.

The ride height and spring pre load are separate adjustments unlike some cheaper coilovers.

I have my car low and the damper adjustment 5 clicks from the hardest setting (out of 32 clicks) and i dont find them harsh atall.

I was also advised when purchasing them that if anything was to go wrong in the future with them you can buy individual components separate and MeisterR is a UK based company (or atleast has a UK team) so you get the aftersales help unlike alot of the Jap companies. Thats what swayed me to go with them and im very pleased i did.

Yes :) He takes the German made Bilstein suspension and customises the valves and spring specs to suit your needs.

For your budget that's the best and only option I'd personally go for. Coilovers are going to be a waste of money unless you spend Nitron kind of money, Teins are shit, the valving inside is cheap and nasty.

CW is going to love your wheels and trying to set your car up! lol Make sure you email him mate, he doesn't answer PM's often.

I have MeisterR CRDs on mine and i absolutely love them.

Think they were around £700 but i really can not fault them atall.

Ride height, damper rate, and spring pre load adjustable.

The ride height and spring pre load are separate adjustments unlike some cheaper coilovers.

I have my car low and the damper adjustment 5 clicks from the hardest setting (out of 32 clicks) and i dont find them harsh atall.

I was also advised when purchasing them that if anything was to go wrong in the future with them you can buy individual components separate and MeisterR is a UK based company (or atleast has a UK team) so you get the aftersales help unlike alot of the Jap companies. Thats what swayed me to go with them and im very pleased i did.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170123/e891d676cb128ba19ad3bb6c4602cfb5.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170123/2cb471b4a57aef3c70df012daec68eda.jpg

/QUOTE]

Thankyou for your feedback very interesting and sounds a very good price, I have emailed Chris Wilson to ask about his setup but I will look at these too just to see he comparison :)

For your budget that's the best and only option I'd personally go for. Coilovers are going to be a waste of money unless you spend Nitron kind of money, Teins are $#@!, the valving inside is cheap and nasty.

CW is going to love your wheels and trying to set your car up! lol Make sure you email him mate, he doesn't answer PM's often.

Thanks mate yeah I have emailed him so will talk through my options and what he thinks :)

£1250 plus VAT for stock valved German made Bilsteins with my springs at a set ride height about 40mm lower than stock, fitted with geo done, assuming no seized adjusters. £900 plus VAT supply only.

Custom valving ordered at same time as kit is an extra £65 plus VAT per damper. Adding 2 extra spring seat circlip grooves to give a choice of 3 ride heights, settable OFF the car is an extra £12 plus VAT per damper. My kits are made to give excellent traction and handling, not to keep incorrect tyre and rim sizes from touching things they should have no right touching, nor will I supply them so they can be set so low that they are on the bump rubbers. This is dangerous, structurally and handling wise.

You need stock top mounts, stock bump rubbers, and stock spring top seat / bellows, the kits do NOT come with these.

Let me know if you need more info, thanks Shawn.

£1250 plus VAT for stock valved German made Bilsteins with my springs at a set ride height about 40mm lower than stock, fitted with geo done, assuming no seized adjusters. £900 plus VAT supply only.

Custom valving ordered at same time as kit is an extra £65 plus VAT per damper. Adding 2 extra spring seat circlip grooves to give a choice of 3 ride heights, settable OFF the car is an extra £12 plus VAT per damper. My kits are made to give excellent traction and handling, not to keep incorrect tyre and rim sizes from touching things they should have no right touching, nor will I supply them so they can be set so low that they are on the bump rubbers. This is dangerous, structurally and handling wise.

You need stock top mounts, stock bump rubbers, and stock spring top seat / bellows, the kits do NOT come with these.

Let me know if you need more info, thanks Shawn.

Thanks for your reply Chris this certainly seems like the route I will take at the moment, I will do a little research into coilovers (so I know what im talking to you about :rlol: ) and be back in contact very soon to talk through specifics

p.s. totally agree about wheel sizes etc.. They is no touching of anything and id only ever go for the correct offset wheels for what im after, not one to use spacers or "make things fit" etc...

I fitted new OE Toyota dampers on my car with the Eibach pro sport springs and was very happy with that set up

Think they were 30mm drop at the front and 25mm at the rear

I did similar, and threw out the stock black UK shocks, and fitted new yellow Toyota bilsteins with J-Spec springs. Dnk, how hard a ride is it on Eibach springs? As i'm considering trying them over the springs I currently have.

I did similar, and threw out the stock black UK shocks, and fitted new yellow Toyota bilsteins with J-Spec springs. Dnk, how hard a ride is it on Eibach springs? As i'm considering trying them over the springs I currently have.

Not knowing exactly what were fitted to it but a member a few years ago i knew really well had one of CW's set ups on their UK spec and i thought it was a firmer ride than my car on the Eibachs. The Eibachs have a fairly sensible progressive spring rate

compared to most i see.

Take a look at the spring rates thread

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?267488-Coilover-Spring-Rate-Register&highlight=spring+rates

Not knowing exactly what were fitted to it but a member a few years ago i knew really well had one of CW's set ups on their UK spec and i thought it was a firmer ride than my car on the Eibachs. The Eibachs have a fairly sensible progressive spring rate

compared to most i see.

Take a look at the spring rates thread

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?267488-Coilover-Spring-Rate-Register&highlight=spring+rates

Thanks Dunk! :)