The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is there such thing as a n/a vvti 6 speed?

blythmrk

I know probably a very silly question but 15 years ago when looking for a supra i test drove a 2000 w reg n/a vvti 6 speed I think! It was completely stock black paint, 16" oem wheels, cloth interior and only 15k kilometres! & £15k And absolutely perfect I really wanted it but my mates said stick to looking for a UK TT6 which I did as the TT power with all the UK spec attracted me and still does and back then I couldn't afford to upgrade all the items , wheels, brakes to UK spec, leather etc. but I have never forgoten the way it performed and the way it revved really freely and pretty high too to be honest it felt as quick off the line as my UK TT6.

I know probably ultra rare or are they common as I just never see them?

Thanks

Can be from 1996, basically any facelift SZ-R, which has a seperate model number to the regular SZ which can be auto or 5 speed.

Only vvti's in a few late American cars I think and not sure their na's ever got 6 speed boxes.

Thanks for your replies.

I am 100% positive it was a hard top n/a vvti 6 speed jdm import as if it was a TT it would have been 20k+ at the time.

So it might have been one that slipped through the net I wonder what it would be worth now!

I am going to look into it more I would ask the dealer but they no longer exist!

Highly unlikely. The USA never got an NA 6 speed Supra (they did have the VVTi 2JZGE though) and Japan never put the VVTi 2JZGE engine in a Supra, only the 2JZGTE VVTi (Sept 97 onwards). As mentioned, it could be an aftermarket swap.

Check out my Japanese Supra brochure collection with every year from 1993 to 2002 for details on every Mkiv Japanese Supra made.

http://mkiv.supras.org.nz/specs.htm#BROCHURES

People didn't think there was a UK spec in MSB from the factory with 1A1 on the VIN but there was...

So couldn't there be a small possibility of this?

Hi all thanks for your replies.

I do think it was genuine and not converted! It's a long time ago so it's probably gone to the scrap yard in the sky.

Are there any pics of the UK car in msb?

Is it still around and is it in the club?

All these unique/rare cars make my Std UK TT6's seem common as!

People didn't think there was a UK spec in MSB from the factory with 1A1 on the VIN but there was...

So couldn't there be a small possibility of this?

BTW, according to the European Supra VIN info, there were 6 RHD Europe spec Supras made with the 1A1 paint and 47 made in Europe spec in LHD.

BTW, according to the European Supra VIN info, there were 6 RHD Europe spec Supras made with the 1A1 paint and 47 made in Europe spec in LHD.

I only get 4 European spec'd 1A1 (which includes UK) with a 2JZGTE hardtop all 1993 all auto.

So if the car I looked at was a vvti n/a it is still classed as a 2JZ GE?

It's going to puzzle me for a long time probably forever!

So nobody knows what happened to the UK spec RHD MSB 1A1 supra I have read the old threads on here about it many people viewed the car but nobody seemed to buy it!

Thanks

Mark

With almost 100% certainty, there was never a factory 6 speed vvti n.a..

A vvti 2jz-ge is still a 2jz-ge, as found in the Lexus gs300 and is300. There is also a 2jz-fse found in some Japanese cars (not supras), a direct injection model of the 2jz made for efficiency and economy.

Over the years I have literally looked at thousands of Supras, including ones for sale in Japan which I check regularly. Even the very late 2002 n.a. Supras from Japan don't have vvti. I have seen one vvti na engine retrofitted to a car in the UK in that time.

A vvti 2jz-ge is still a 2jz-ge, as found in the Lexus gs300 and is300. There is also a 2jz-fse found in some Japanese cars (not supras), a direct injection model of the 2jz made for efficiency and economy.

Over the years I have literally looked at thousands of Supras, including ones for sale in Japan which I check regularly. Even the very late 2002 n.a. Supras from Japan don't have vvti. I have seen one vvti na engine retrofitted to a car in the UK in that time.

Was it black by any chance? I just recall how harsh this car pulled and revved very high (like my old ae86 7500-8000rpm) but was or seemed completely stock and factory fresh (if it was converted it was impeccable) I am beginning to wonder if it was a tt vvti 6 speed but I am 99.9% sure it was an n/a as you didn't get the rush from the turbos or hear them!

I really wanted to hear they exist but rare.

As always great information and knowledge on here!

Was it black by any chance? I just recall how harsh this car pulled and revved very high (like my old ae86 7500-8000rpm) but was or seemed completely stock and factory fresh (if it was converted it was impeccable) I am beginning to wonder if it was a tt vvti 6 speed but I am 99.9% sure it was an n/a as you didn't get the rush from the turbos or hear them!

The one in the North East was black

I only get 4 European spec'd 1A1 (which includes UK) with a 2JZGTE hardtop all 1993 all auto.

So if the car I looked at was a vvti n/a it is still classed as a 2JZ GE?

It's going to puzzle me for a long time probably forever!

So nobody knows what happened to the UK spec RHD MSB 1A1 supra I have read the old threads on here about it many people viewed the car but nobody seemed to buy it!

Thanks

Mark

My info is from ToyoDiy.com. The 6 RHD Euro spec ones with 1A1 paint code are:

199305 JT164JA800002290 2JZGTE Auto http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/q?vin=JT164JA800002290

199305 JT164JA800003205 2JZGTE 6 spd http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/q?vin=JT164JA800003205

199305 JT164JA800003310 2JZGTE Auto http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/q?vin=JT164JA800003310

199305 JT164JA800003369 2JZGTE Auto http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/q?vin=JT164JA800003369

199308 JT164JA800007920 2JZGTE 6 spd http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/q?vin=JT164JA800007920

199311 JT164JA800015114 2JZGTE 6 spd http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/q?vin=JT164JA800015114

There are also 47 LHD 1A1 cars.

Unfortunately for the VIN information, there is no mention of VVTi or not, so the 2JZGE VVTI you saw may remain a mystery forever.

Vvti revs to 7250rpm. But it wouldn't feel that much different from a non vvti car, I suspect it will have been a turbo car. The stock turbos are very linear.

• 5 months later...

Sorry slight thread resurrection but this is still nagging me, then I have found this car in the US for sale completely untouched and it clearly states VVT-I in the cam shaft cover its an auto and a 1997/98!

VVTI 2JZ GE.jpg

This more confirms my thoughts are correct that I test drove a 2001 VVTI 6 speed na!

Sorry slight thread resurrection but this is still nagging me, then I have found this car in the US for sale completely untouched and it clearly states VVT-I in the cam shaft cover its an auto and a 1997/98!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]219778[/ATTACH]

This more confirms my thoughts are correct that I test drove a 2001 VVTI 6 speed na!

It's an American car though, and as stated before America did get the VVTI N/A engines in 1998 but Japan didn't.

I reckon it was a TT, you just didn't hoof it hard enough and missed out on buying a great car :D ;)

I bought a 93 red uk tt6 instead:d

Even better I still own it 16 years later.

It seems that the USA only got VVTI's unless a few late JDM n/a's get VVTI's too?