The mkiv Supra Owners Club

When is a Supra not a Supra?

brassbones

I'm a bit of a stock-as-a-rock bore (despite my OEM side skirts and spats!! :p) but the question remains ...

You can do what you like to the engine but the aesthetics of the car are what makes it what it is IMHO.

I'd be happy to drive that top gear DB6 with modern day engine and running gear but externally identical to its 1960's heritage.

So, as a random example, its this still a Supra?

SupraLowRes2.jpg

To me the Supra is a combination of all of its parts, not just the looks. The 2JZ is it's heart whether it's an NA, twin or single - the heart is still the 2JZ. The lines are unique, distinctive and classic but enhancing, changing and adding your own personal touch doesn't detract from it being a Supra. I get that the stock brigade love the purity of a car that's the same as Toyota made it but I feel it can get a bit elitist and just an excuse for a slanging match. The Supra is what you make it: stock, single, wild kit - it's still a Supra - it's in the DNA.

To me the Supra is a combination of all of its parts, not just the looks. The 2JZ is it's heart whether it's an NA, twin or single - the heart is still the 2JZ. The lines are unique, distinctive and classic but enhancing, changing and adding your own personal touch doesn't detract from it being a Supra. I get that the stock brigade love the purity of a car that's the same as Toyota made it but I feel it can get a bit elitist and just an excuse for a slanging match. The Supra is what you make it: stock, single, wild kit - it's still a Supra - it's in the DNA.

:yeahthat:

What about the likes of a gearbox swap to the DCT or a V8 engine swap? Would that level of modification be exiting the realms of a Supra maybe?

Personally, for me, chassis/shell is about it. You could change pretty much anything else on it but at the end of the day, Vin plate says Supra. An Abflug, V12, BMW gearbox'd, RS4 seated, Lexus wheeled Supra is still a Supra imo

You can do what you like to the engine but the aesthetics of the car are what makes it what it is IMHO.

I actually think its the complete other way around.

If you put a supra shell over a prius floor pan with prius running gear to me that is still a prius just with a supra 'bodykit'

Personally, for me, chassis/shell is about it. You could change pretty much anything else on it but at the end of the day, Vin plate says Supra. An Abflug, V12, BMW gearbox'd, RS4 seated, Lexus wheeled Supra is still a Supra imo

Agree with this :) There are alot of individual preferences in what different people like out of the supra which is a great thing (in most cases) but end of the day aslong as the shell/chassis is a supra shell/chassis then its a supra :)

IMO when you think of Supra, you think of big power and most likely have a picture in your head of a stock bodied supra going down a drag strip lol

I LOVE stock Supra's without spats or additional skirts with some mean looking wheels as well as modified body Supra's. I do love my car but sometimes wished I left the car stock however when I had it stock I was bored with the look at the time lol

I think its good to have a variety

There are some LOUD body kits which IMO don't suit the car but that's just my taste in kits, the one thing I don't like is when they try to make it look like another model like the Bentley Supra

Edited by mplavery (see edit history)

Many people stick a Ferrari 355 body on an MR2 chassis and get a great deal of enjoyment from looking at their "355" every time they get in and out of it. Personally, I get that. Many people have a copy of a famous work of art on their walls and enjoy looking at it in the same way as as they would the real thing (although their house insurance would be a bit steeper with the real thing! Lol).

I guess we all enjoy this car on many levels, and for different reasons, and all I'm suggesting is that those that get most of that enjoyment from the aesthetics (like me) wouldn't regard the above as a Supra. In the same way that this isn't the Mona Lisa :eyebrows:

bce283d327add3153bbb229c460094a3.jpg

Edited by brassbones (see edit history)

I just been through my Supra's in my head and up to number 10 I think they've all been completely stock bodies (only wheel and exhaust mods no bpu's), not even a oem sideskirt between them, then number 10 was/is full on, oem sideskits and fibreglass front and rear bumpers, bpu.

I like the stock look, as for the more individual kitted ones, love some, dislike others and I'd personally never buy and then modify the body of a stock looking car, just number 10 was a great opportunity body kit or no body kit and it looks fine to me :-)

So perhaps the best of both worlds for me! except the transmissions, one of each would have been nice :) (NB Silver number 8 now has stock wheels)

Supra 8.jpg

Supra 10.jpg