The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Where to attach harneses?

HarleyFDMD

I have a pair of recaros and takata harnesses in my car but want some advice about harness mounting locations.

When i first installed the harnesses i mounted them into the boot on little eye bolts into existing holes but they were small and i really didnt trust them so soon removed them and mounted them into the existing rear seat belt mounting positions because i knew these were suitable to withstand the force of a potential accident however they arnt at equal distances or angles to one another and therefore i figured in a serious accident this might cause my harnesses to jolt me one way or the other and possibly damage my back.

So i bought a harness bar, the main bar is very solid but the little legs that come off it are piss poor and i cant mount it properly anyway because of my cage.

My idea which i am expecting to get slated for (and if thats the case i wont do it) is to buy a solid steel rear strut brace. Non adjustable and certainly not made from cheap alloy. Then attach them to that? Bad idea? Any other solutions?

My only other thought would be to weld the main part of the harness bar to the cage.

Do a search on how to fit a harness correctly as its not that simple, get the angles wrong

and it can have serious implications in a heavy crash

Worth a read http://www.jamessimpson.co.uk/correct-harness-fitting/

Thats a very good read thank you. Im surprised that they even entertain the idea of a bolt in harness bar though tbh

I had them fitted correctly in my comp safari Range Rover but for rd use i agree they are a pain in the ass

and you soon get fed up with them

Having a cage and not wearing a helmet can be fatal in the event of a crash, especially if you've slackened

the harness off a bit or not wearing it.

Getting some proper padding on it would be a good idea, up near your head

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

I had harnesses fitted for about a month, they are such a pain when at tight junctions, parking barriers and toll booths, I got rid of mine, I then subsequently found out I have them installed badly so a crash could have been made worse by the lack of protection they were giving

My car is not daily driven, its used maybe afew times during the summer months when the weather is nice. Mostly to go to shows etc so the harnesses getting in the way of daily driving duties isnt an issue.

What is a concern is them doing more damage than good in an accident so obviously i want them mounted correctly.

Mounting a harness bar across the loop of my cage at shoulder height is fairly straightforward though

I would bin that roll/harness bar completely and get a welder to put the following cross sections into your roll cage. That's about as good as it's going to get unless you go really hardcore with the cage.

It's also advisable not to use recline able seats with a proper harness setup for fears of them collapsing in a serious crash, and the lack of a submarining harness slot. Really you should be going for proper buckets.

Alternatively you can use clubman style harnesses which are designed to work with the stock seat belt positions and C pillar mount points.

This is what i purpose to do.

Although mine will be welded rather than bolted on and my harnesses will actually be attached to it!

My bucket seats are genuine recaro seats from an Evo, i doubt they would collapse but in a scenario where the impact was so hard that they did collapse i think my chances of survival would be pretty bleak anyway with a typical seatbelt.

I had the same thought process a couple of months ago mate, how the hell am I going to install these harnesses? Looked at some of the options you mentioned, and every time ended up saying to myself I will have to use a harness bar to do it properly, so i totally agree with what you are proposing. I just received my half cage from Jamie unpainted because i knew i would be welding a bar on, just need to work out what height and how far back to make it.

I found this article really usefull, as it's Takata themselves giving the advice

http://www.speedhunters.com/2014/06/takata-ask-the-expert-answers/

If you sell that harness bar please pm me as ill buy it

On another note, even using a rear strut brace, that is too low to mount a harness to, you dont want a harness to pull down on your shoulders in a crash

Yes i realise that now after reading through the above links. It wouldnt have particularly crossed my mind before though!

I will still be using the harness bar im affraid mate. Im going to have it welded to my cage as its already the perfect width and its nice and solid.