The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra parked up over winter (condensation problems!)

Andrew K

Hi Guys

Like others I've got my supra parked up over the winter months but I've noticed certain parts on the engine bay are starting to rusting up! And the alloy polished parts are getting a white crustyness over them :( I know this is due to the dampness and not using the car and getting it up to temp but what do you all do or put on certain engine parts to stop the above happening in your engine bays?

My car is stored under a carport and is 90% enclosed to the outside eliments.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are uncovered and under a carport there isn't much you can do to improve airflow. One thing you could do is spray WD40 over everything as a moisture and corrosion barrier. Seeing its white spirit with a little bit of light oil based it would not hang around once you get the engine running again..

If it was me I would use Duck Oil and spray the engine bay to winterize the car. If you are getting moisture in the cabin you can buy those calcium oxide dehumidifier traps. If you have power available then use a small desiccant dehumidifier, they work great.

ACF-50 spray mate. You can get it in an aerosol can or as a mist sprayer. Google it. Specifically designed for aerospace components and use.

I am amazed at how well it works, it leaves a very fine film of protectant on the area and is safe on electrics, plugs, paintwork, seals, rubber etc. You can use it practically anywhere except for brakes - obviously you don't want lubricant there!

Loads of people have posted up about how clean and well protected their engine bays are a year later after applying this stuff. Nor cheap at £15 a bottle but worth every penny IMO.

ACF-50 spray mate.

£15 ACF or £4 WD40? That's a tough call.

"tested how well a number of substances prevented rust. The results surprised us: Plain old WD-40 was the most successful in keeping rust from forming on a mild steel surface, outperforming many other substances engineered specifically the job."

Its basically white spirit - about 90% from memory. Light base oil and a corrosion inhibitor that leaves a very thin protective film. An alternative would be 10% engine oil in white spirit but that has detergents and acid neutralisers in it that are metal based. Plain ordinary WD40 will suffice.

ACF-50 spray mate. You can get it in an aerosol can or as a mist sprayer. Google it. Specifically designed for aerospace components and use.

I am amazed at how well it works, it leaves a very fine film of protectant on the area and is safe on electrics, plugs, paintwork, seals, rubber etc. You can use it practically anywhere except for brakes - obviously you don't want lubricant there!

Loads of people have posted up about how clean and well protected their engine bays are a year later after applying this stuff. Nor cheap at £15 a bottle but worth every penny IMO.

/QUOTE]

This stuff sounds interesting, just googled it and had a read up on the stuff and it sounds pretty good.

They did say not to get it on any rubber and certain plastics can be a problem though.

£15 ACF or £4 WD40? That's a tough call.

"tested how well a number of substances prevented rust. The results surprised us: Plain old WD-40 was the most successful in keeping rust from forming on a mild steel surface, outperforming many other substances engineered specifically the job."

Its basically white spirit - about 90% from memory. Light base oil and a corrosion inhibitor that leaves a very thin protective film. An alternative would be 10% engine oil in white spirit but that has detergents and acid neutralisers in it that are metal based. Plain ordinary WD40 will suffice.

It is a little on the expensive side compared to WD-40 but just been reading up on ACF-50, someone done a test on 3 sheets of bare steel sheet left out in the eliments of winter, one sheet was left bare, another was sprayed in WD-40 and the other with ACF-50. After 6 months the bare sheet (as expected) was covered in rust and so was the one with WD-40, the sheet with ACF-50 was still nice and clean with no signs of rust. I know the engine bay isn't open to the eliments so WD-40 would help keep winter corrosion at bay but this ACF-50 does sound good if used and applied in the correct way so will do some more reading up on the stuff.

Rider - try researching before you spout your mouth off again.

http://f2mcltd.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/winter-salt-protection-acf50-fs365-or.html?m=1

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?178115-My-year-long-ACF-50-vs-WD40-vs-Naked-rust-inhibitor-test

http://www.banditforum.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=43965.0

You stick with your cheaper WD40 freeing agent then.

Andrew - I read plenty of reviews too and swear it's worth the extra pennies. You would only need one aerosol to do your entire engine bay and critical components and for the sake of £10 extra for better and more durable longer protection I cannot see why anyone wouldn't buy it.

Acf-50 primary job is to displace and repel moisture, when applied it spreads out, to cover the metal surface and work down into every crevice, driving out any moisture. It stop any existing corrosion in it's tracks and prevents it from spreading. Then you have a tough moisture resistant barrier. You only need a small amount a very light coat.

I have also applied it to the plastic arch liners and rubber hoses and it's been fine.

Edited by Sheefa (see edit history)

http://f2mcltd.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/winter-salt-protection-acf50-fs365-or.html?m=1

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?178115-My-year-long-ACF-50-vs-WD40-vs-Naked-rust-inhibitor-test

Andrew - I read plenty of reviews too and swear it's worth the extra pennies. You would only need one aerosol to do your entire engine bay and critical components and for the sake of £10 extra for better and more durable longer protection I cannot see why anyone wouldn't buy it.

I have also applied it to the plastic arch liners and rubber hoses and it's been fine.

/QUOTE]

Some good info there for people. Ill be getting some.

Thanks Parry. Yep all the reviews I have seen have been positive. We spend plenty on other expensive parts and modifications so a proven product that prevents corrosion and repels moisture for a little extra cash is a no brainer really.

/QUOTE]

Of course why not spend 15 quid when you spend hundreds on having stuff polished. Doesnt make sense to me. Ill probably chrome stuff now though.

Acf-50 primary job is to displace and repel moisture, when applied it spreads out, to cover the metal surface and work down into every crevice, driving out any moisture. It stop any existing corrosion in it's tracks and prevents it from spreading. Then you have a tough moisture resistant barrier. You only need a small amount a very light coat.

/QUOTE]

Thanks Sheefa and as parry said there's some good info there and think I will be giving this stuff a try.

Where do you get yours from and do you use it from an aerosol or the stuff you get in a bottle to put in a spray gun / bottle to apply?

Of course why not spend 15 quid when you spend hundreds on having stuff polished. Doesnt make sense to me. Ill probably chrome stuff now though.

Exactly

At least the polished parts can just be polished up again to get rid of the corrosion build up, I'm more worried about all the screws, nuts and bolts all over the inlet side that I'm finding are going rusty and starting to look nasty which will become a problem.

I got mine off ebay mate and got one aerosol can and then also the spray solution too for the wheel arch and chassis areas as I am cleaning and protecting them.

/QUOTE]

Defo going to give this a try thanks mate

Have you also used it around your engine bay?