The mkiv Supra Owners Club

cam.gear advice!

Grantbonwick

I could well be wrong here and so someone may well say otherwise but I've read afew times that alot of people, particularly in the US it seems prefer the stock cams.

The vast majority of aftermarket cams are adjustable which obviously has its advantages but also means that when putting large amounts of power through them could result in them slipping.

The stock cams are solid and so eliminates the chance of that happening. I know 2JZ engines are non interference engines but at a guess id presume that with large enough cams you could possibly change that

Well I have seen threads on other forums regarding bent valves in the 2JZ engine due to mis-timing. I assumed this meant it was an interference engine, i.e the valves and pistons can hit eachother should mis-timing occur. Unless I am misunderstanding what interference means.

2JZ is non-interference, when you add aftermarket cams that give more lift (not sure what the limit is) it becomes interference. It is also my understanding that once you start changing valves et cetera it can make the engine interference at a lower lift. Take this last bit with a pinch of salt until someone with better technical knowledge can chime in.