The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anyone Got a GPS Tracker?

Two-Two

Hi

I was looking to upgrade the security of the Supra and came across this gadget:

https://www.carlock.co/features-device/

It uses a unit that plugs into the OBD2 socket on the car. As my model is a 93 I would need an OBD1 to 2 adaptor. Assuming that works it promises to do everything apart from make you a cup of PG Tips: tracks journeys, alerts you via a mobile app if the car is moved, monitors battery state, monitors driving styles if you are foolish enough to lend the car to a relative and might give you some dosh off insurance.

Has anyone else fitted/used one on a Supra?

Thanks

Stuart

the sim card will be for transmitting the data to a server somewhere.. So you can view it on your app.

So that's 2 points of failure. no GSM signal or low GSM signal due to be buried in the dash, plus poor GPS reception due it been hidden away.

This is why trackers etc have external antennas routed to windows/roofs etc.

We had to buy a tracker for the new motor home but it wasn't cheap. I think it was just short of £600 for the unit plus a 5-year air contract.

The only problem (apparently) is that thieves try and get tracked vehicles to a metal storage building asap after theft as it helps stop prevent the signal from transmitting properly.

the sim card will be for transmitting the data to a server somewhere.. So you can view it on your app.

So that's 2 points of failure. no GSM signal or low GSM signal due to be buried in the dash, plus poor GPS reception due it been hidden away.

This is why trackers etc have external antennas routed to windows/roofs etc.

The SIM card is to text tracking data to a mobile phone number. You usually ping it with a message and it'll send the position data back.

GPS is fine under the dash. Its only if you were to push it behind sheets of metal the GPS signal could be blocked. These simple tracker systems have been used for probably 10 years now and unlike the TM tracker there are no annual subs. Just needs credit on a PAYG sim card, a GPS signal and a phone signal to work effectively.

Read and learn - 280 odd reviews to trawl through

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tracker-Vehicle-Theft-Protection-System-x/dp/B003XDN58K/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1483809365&sr=8-8&keywords=gps+tracker

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

As promised the reply below from the manufacturer:

Hi,

thanks for letting us double check if CarLock will work with your Toyota Supra. Your car is compatible with CarLock. Your OBD port is located here:

(There is no OBD port in your vehicle, please use power cable. You can read more about it on http://blog.carlock.co/obd-extension-cable-power-adapter/)

We advise for your car to include in your order also the OBD Power Adapter.

You can order CarLock device with 10% DISCOUNT from the link below:

Thanks and have a great day.

The CarLock Team

If I go ahead with fitting this gizmo I will post a further update.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Did you manage to get round to fitting one fella? I just saw a friend of mines post on Facebook. His R33 GTR has been nicked in Scotland. The car had a quick release wheel too. Thieves probably used a recovery truck.

Just made me even more worried.