The mkiv Supra Owners Club

J-spec TT6 import cost are soaring - maybe a R35 GT-R makes more sense

rider

Anyone who monitors the Japanese auction and estimate prices will have seen the recent big jump in prices for clean and unmolested TT6's now running at £40k for low milers. I have contacted a few importers with a view to potentially importing a TT6 and been told that would require a budget of minimum £25k which is to far over current UK market values to make it a financially attractive proposition to import. I'm thinking of switching my car search to a R35 GT-R as they can be had for £40k+ in the UK and will almost certainly also be a vehicle with enduring appeal.

I was advising people at the NEC Classics show that unmolested TT6's will be fetching £35k - £45k within seven to ten years, it seems it could well be sooner.

If anyone here owns or has owned a R35 GT-R please PM me as I'd really appreciate a chat with someone who knows the car inside out.

Jesus that's crazy !

Nice to see there still holding well and I guess modified Supras will still be going up too.

R35 are stunning cars I must admit, wouldn't mind owning one myself

what classed as low millage on Supras these days then ? think mine is 68k

Few people have owned or still own a R35 on here. JamieP and Grahamc are the two people at the top of my head

what classed as low millage on Supras these days then ? think mine is 68k

£25k+ would be for a TT6 around 100k km so around the same as your one. There are some real low use cars listing at the moment or recent past with one under 30k km but that was auction start price over £40k FOB Japan.

Edited by rider (see edit history)

Here's some of the prefacelift cars that have went through auction over the last few months before Xmas. I seen this somewhere else and thought it was pretty interesting! There's some supra's that are a grade R which means crash damaged/repaired

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170103/f06e21fa96d4fb53bea6e4a98076a157.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170103/661e3a0bf53bd0c1778eebaaa13c967f.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170103/3f0e057af5ddfdf387a301c14495ccbc.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170103/5269d8bff928e689876d4a9cc7dc8ab5.jpg

Am I missing something here? The average sale price of a Supra on those auctions is below ¥1M. According to my currency converter ¥1M is equal to around £7K. Whilst I appreciatended there may be the odd Supra that's a gem, the general prices seem to be pretty normal?

Happy to be corrected here.

Am I missing something here? The average sale price of a Supra on those auctions is below ¥1M. According to my currency converter ¥1M is equal to around £7K. Whilst I appreciatended there may be the odd Supra that's a gem, the general prices seem to be pretty normal?

Happy to be corrected here.

Thats what I was looking at too, theres some on there for like £3k....? Albeit NA Auto's

Anything that says 'low', 'Genuine' or 'mileage' in any order on the advert reads suspicious to me. Unless it had a full service history and MOTs with the milage declared I would be taking it with a pinch of salt.

Ive seen well known traders in this country have cars advertised as coming in from Japan in Grade A condition and on actually visiting finding that very car is in the bodyshop having a complete front end blow over!

Edited by T2 MSW (see edit history)

Ive owned an R35, as have a few people on here what do you want to know?

There was a lovely stock gunmetal car on here last year for 16k and the guy struggled to sell it. But define 'unmolested'? This car is unmolested :-

http://www.goo-net-exchange.com/usedcars/TOYOTA/SUPRA/700050325430161125001/index.html

Ive maintained for a couple of years now stock body on these cars is the way to go if you want to make money, how many now have crap cone filters, kits and huge Rotas on them? Tons. And people still try and get top bucks for them. The Supra market is a self appreciating one

Even the highest sold price, just under ¥2M is only about £14K.

I'm definitely of the opinion a good number of the apparent low milage cars have been clocked to some extent. General vehicle condition would be the best measure of mileage.

The problem is (not really a problem :D ) is the Japanese tend to look after cars like these very well. Both my fresh imports looked effectively new underneath when I got them.