The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New member from Dorset

Guest Wyssta

Guest Wyssta

Hi all

My name is Clint and been a Toyota and all round car nut since I was a mere warthog.

I've always been a little obsessed with Celicas and Supras, owned 10 gt fours in the last 6 years and the time has come to step up to the big boys.

Been doing a fair amount of research and downloaded the buying guide from the forum but just wanted to introduce myself and let you know I will be a 2JZ owner very soon hopefully.

Could anyone tell me if they have any history or knowledge of TT reg L208 MJB? Potentially going to see it this week.

Many thanks in advance and hope to meet some of you soon.

Kind regards

Clint

The mileage history is good so apart from the colour, that's just me, it could well be a good Supra. Its not that easy a buy these days as so few come up for sale but its always good to drive more than one of any specific car before choosing. Back in 1998, I ended up buying the 6th I looked at and it must have worked out OK as I still have that car today and its been 100% reliable. So the best advice I could give is unless its a steal or so good you would be mad to walk away is don't buy it until you have had the chance to look around a few. Maybe some members in your area could let you come see and talk over theirs before you head to see L208 MJB?

Guest Wyssta

Hi guys, many thanks for your response and welcome.

I did a full HPI and history check on car and all has come back ok. Did the MOT search and mileage seems to make sense and continuous. Only thing that is making the alarm bells ring is the fact the last two MOT's have made advisories of oil leaks. From my experience they only make a note of this when the leak is pretty bad right? Been chatting a fair bit to the owner (who is a dealer and says the car was a p/x on a 640i) and I'm not 100% sure of him, sorry to say... Asked him about the car, it was imported in 2005 - he has all the import papers, full service history, car is on 113 000 miles, full leather GZ model with active front lip spoiler. paintwork is average, bonnet needs a respray and he said their are knocks coming from the front, which from reading could be a number of things. He said the oil spilt when it was refilled which is why there was a notice on the MOT (likely story, conveniently happened two years in a row.)

I guess what I'm leading towards is what is this vehicle worth, it is an auto TT, silver in colour and very average alloys. I'll be honest I would love a manual but the TT are just too pricey, way out of my budget. Been reading the threads on getting a N/A and doing a single turbo conversion, but by the sounds the gearbox can only handle 360whp? Is this true? Any opinions on whats better?

G9RGE I live in Parkstone, not far from The Cow in Ashley Cross, let me know when you next in the area and you welcome to pop in for a cuppa. Will DM you my number.

Thanks again all and hope to hear from you soon.

Do you have a link to the car listing? It'd be easier for people to offer an appraisal if they could see it. From what I hear silver is not an easy colour to match, in fact one members car is fondly referred to as 50 shades of silver. Silver is possibly the least popular colour as there was so many of them 93 - 95. There is no harm looking at any car, the bad ones help you appreciate the good ones.

welcome, couple of minor things I can see wrong with that, why are the engine hoists, throttle and the top of the plenum blue, I've never seen a supra with these blue indicating the engine may have been out at some point. Also why is the intake pipe and top rad pipe able tied together!

Hi Clint I live in Parkstone. Off of Bournemouth road when I'm not at the girlfriends that is. There's a few of us around the surrounding areas now and we are hoping to start local meets.

Good luck with your search for a supra. Everyone here is usually really helpful.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Clint I live in Parkstone. Off of Bournemouth road when I'm not at the girlfriends that is. There's a few of us around the surrounding areas now and we are hoping to start local meets.

Good luck with your search for a supra. Everyone here is usually really helpful.

Looks good value in the current market.

Oils leaks tend to be from 3 main sources.

Cam covers, often the rear exhaust side and these leak down onto the gearbox housing, these are slow leaks generally and often ignored which means over time quite a bit of oil can be seen at an mot. This is an easily fixable one and won't really have caused an long term issues.

Oil pressure sensor, lives on the intake side below the aircon compressor, oil not normally seen from below, leaks back and down, tends to lead to a high rate of loss after a while Ie not one you can ignore ( so given the two years running thing IMO unlikely to be that)

Front crank seal, these can leak with a mild seep to a catastrophic loss in seconds, so a possible again, oil will be mainly seen on the sump (if you take the plastic under tray off) all the way back down the car, often even flicking off the gearbox onto the exhaust.

It sounds like the cam covers rubber seal has perished which is common and of all the oil leaks that's the one you want to have, if you can get the car up a little (looks stock ride height so you may not even have to) when you look in from the drivers side just behind the front wheel you can see the sump plug in the black lower sump, if this and the surrounding area are oil free AND not "steam cleaned fresh" then you can almost rule out causes 2 and 3.

Hi all, sorry for the late response - it has been a manic week or so...

Many thanks for all your help and suggestions, to cut a long story short I mentioned a few things to the seller ie. paint on the hoist hook and plenum etc and it seemed to put his back up. Again made the alarm bells ring. He told me he would take 7.5k no less and I wasn't prepared to take the gamble. He did text me a week or so later to say the car sold so not sure who took it. I don't want to rush in purchasing a TT, I want it to be the right one, one I can hopefully keep for a long long time.

I will keep my ears to the ground, will have a chat to Keron and just bide my time for the right one to come along. I do appreciate your offers of assisting with a viewing when the time comes and I will def take you up on your offers.

Thanks again and hopefully speak soon.

If you want a relatively quick and you'd hope relatively painless entry to ownership particularly of a TT then the favoured dealers would be the best option which means placing a 15 mile exclusion zone around High Wycombe. Which with Supra price inflation being what it is may actually be a cheaper option to finding one yourself in many months time.