The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Guigsy's 2017 respray thread

Guigsy

Its taken a while to get my car to this point after i got it with no interior, flat tyres, a deafening exhaust and various mechanical problems including it needing a head rebuild, oil leaks, various electrical problems etc...

Now its been in a nice drive able state for a year or more now. Its been mechanically sound. Even after some rough treatment.

But its always been a bit cosmetically tatty. The paint on the roof is the age of the car and has lost all its shine. The sides of the car are covered in tiny parking dings. Although because the paint is so matt you don't see it most of the time. And there are various other dents to fix and holes in my rear hatch to fill from a wiper delete.

The engine bay is... functional. Has some nice looking bits but in other areas its tatty as hell with cables and hoses all over the shop.

So the middle of last year i decided its time to have it painted. And after ages aganising over the colour. About 3-4 trips to the bodyshop getting paint samples. iv decided. The bodyshop are just waiting for me to give them a call to tell them when i can drop the car off. However its got a flat battery at the mo :D

Its staying white essentially. But i wanted something a bit different. So its having a nice strong pearl gold ontop.

I had the bodyshop spray up 3 testers of different gold's for me. one i didnt like the other 2 were very close. One seemed to have bigger flakes of reflectiveness in it so thats the one i went for. But i asked them to do me another couple of samples.

One with twice as much pearl. Which is too much. It makes the while appear a bit grey in normal light.

And then i asked for a bit of metallic in another sample. But that just looked bad.

So im going to go somewhere between the two that i liked.

Here are some pictures for anyone thats interested that i took that tried to capture the pearl colour. Although its difficult.

Photo in bright sunlight.

Right is the colour i chose (with the hole). these are the 2 colours i liked. one is a bit more orange the other is more yellow. I prefer the slightly more orange one on the left. however because of the next photo i chose the slightly more yellow one.

This photo exaggerates it a bit. in real life they are very very similar.

attachment.php?attachmentid=216359&stc=1&d=1483386459

This one at night.

The left one also has a larger flake size as you can see here. Which i prefer. It catches the light more.

attachment.php?attachmentid=216360&stc=1&d=1483386459

This is the yellow colour. but with more pearl mixed in. Daytime

attachment.php?attachmentid=216362&stc=1&d=1483386459

Night (reversed from the above photo)

attachment.php?attachmentid=216361&stc=1&d=1483386459

Ill post some more pictures as i take them :)

14446122_10157455339085654_8784796438386113953_n.jpg

14457424_10157456241070654_7448771124709500492_n.jpg

15109348_10157690562735654_4209129288651283675_n.jpg

15109440_10157690544425654_9113040467249495041_n.jpg

Looking forward to the results :cool:

Something to ponder on though, once you move away from stock colours, especially a popular one like white, the car will naturally become marmite, and you may find it actually devalues the car. Not saying it necessarily will, but worth thinking about :)

Thanks guys. It should look good I think. And the gold pearl was my wife's suggestion. Which means if it doesn't it's not my fault :p

As far as repair when anything needs a respray we will see. It's standard 202 white base with a standard off she shelf gold pearl. So the only bit that is custom is the ammount. And I'll get the details of the mix when it's done so shouldn't be too bad I hope

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well the car needed a bit of extra work (a new clutch slave cylinder) and i was due to get it back mid/late last week. Just a few days late for the bodyshop. But while it was there the rad decided to start leaking. So i figured id get that done at the same time as i had to wait for the parts anyway.

They couldn't get a new oem rad, and having the old one re-cored was going to cost 400 quid. So i ordered an ally one they recommended. it arrived on Friday and they fitted it today.

Except they didn't because it doesn't fit. its a mk4 manual rad. and apparently it looks ok. but it sits too high somehow. and without making custom brackets to hold it on the top it wont fit properly.

So they called the place they sent my old rad off to. and they had managed to repair it rather than re-core it and it was sat in there stock. So i'm getting that back for a bit more than what my replacement ally one cost.

Should arrive at the garrage tomorrow morning. Then i can pick the car up after work. Then go on holiday the day after.

Cutting it close. But because its now a week and a bit past when i was supposed to put the car in for paint they don't have time to do it while i'm away. And i don't have time to drop it off to them anyway.

I still haven't packed my suitcase...

• 9 months later...

So. A year later and checking in. The car is still not sprayed. And now I fancy something a bit different...

Booked into the body shop the first Monday in March to sort some rust spots and dents and dings etc. Then it’s going next door for a full colour change wrap in 3m gloss liquid copper. https://scontent-sea1-1.cdninstagram.com/vp/64718affebc7a202f7c0ba8ab9f9fb0a/5B1AD3A8/t51.2885-15/s480x480/e15/11023235_1414842875485399_1257912097_n.jpg

Should look something like the Titan cars. If I’m lucky.

http://site.titanmotorsports.com/CarsforSale/CavinSupra/titan_supra_1.jpg

Edited by Guigsy (see edit history)

This is also a colour I’m thinking. About.

https://www.dhresource.com/0x0s/f2-albu-g4-M00-FC-17-rBVaEFgES6iASNpFAAIF8P2l9tI725.jpg/pearl-gloss-vinyl-white-gold-pearl-car-wrapping.jpg

Or this.

I just can’t decide :p

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7273/26909408001_32d2105143_k.jpg

Have not seen a stock pearl white that I liked. Who knows, after the wrap I might just have it done in 202 white like factory. For now I’m trying to decide between the above 3. I have ordered some a4 size samples of them off eBay to ponder over. I am liking the black/gold flake though. Lol