The mkiv Supra Owners Club

SRT8 big brakes

alibabba

Anyone got experience with these brakes? I've seen numerous Supra's with them on the internet, but there is quite a lack of reviews about these.

A lot seem to use the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 6 piston front and 4 piston rear calipers.

How do these compare to the UK brakes and other BBKs (Brembo, AP etc).

I find this very strange too. By the looks of the conversations on Facebook you'd assume there would be loads of reviews, but I've not seen a single one either.

Glanza_Mike has this setup, but I'm not sure if he's got it working properly yet (think he said there was a lot of pedal travel)

I fitted Delboy's Bimbo's, these front calipers need a minor trim to fit behind 19's" and a major (12mm?) haircut to fit behind 18's", Mike's are 18's". :shrug:

Note that no two design of wheel will have the same diameter clearance at the back and this dimension will be different from the inside to outside edge. The calipers needed more taking off one side than the other and after testing for heat expansion clearance and with a final fettle in one spot, they clear the wheel evenly by about the thickness of a good coat of paint.

He has done a few hundred miles with them and they're still not bedded in properly yet, but these things will pull your eyes out.

That is, as long as you have remembered that brakes can only be as efficient as the tyres and suspension will allow, using premium tyres, not slammed or running on 19"s and/or have stretched or silly 30 profile tyres/ski's.

Whilst mapping his Suprastick and confirming (test piloting :whistle:) that everything else that had been done to it during the past 4-years were at long last all working properly enough too, I must have done a consecutive dozen 120 to 40 to 120 to 40 etc and they were just warming up. :)

I found the brake pedal to have a light and positive feel and even though used enthusiastically many times, not once did the ABS need to twitch at me.

There's no fear of cooking these Beasties.

The first caliper was a PITA, without a template to work from it took umpteen test fits to fit

attachment.php?attachmentid=216323&d=1483117830

Birds eye view of modified caliper next to original

attachment.php?attachmentid=216327&d=1483117948

Worms eye view of modified caliper next to original, note the taper to match form of wheel

attachment.php?attachmentid=216326&d=1483117903

Bottom of modified caliper shown in front of original

attachment.php?attachmentid=216324&d=1483117849

Top of modified caliper shown in front of original

attachment.php?attachmentid=216325&d=1483117871

With the modified caliper to use as a template, the other side took a quarter of the time

attachment.php?attachmentid=216328&d=1483117979

Whilst I have a fag break to clear the aluminium dust from my lungs, Mike pacifies his nail varnish brush fetish

attachment.php?attachmentid=216333&d=1483118095

On-side was first done

attachment.php?attachmentid=216332&d=1483118076

Another fag and fetish break

attachment.php?attachmentid=216329&d=1483118010

They certainly tick the trendy box

attachment.php?attachmentid=216331&d=1483118056

Final fag and fetish on the off-side

attachment.php?attachmentid=216336&d=1483118164

They are cosy in there

attachment.php?attachmentid=216334&d=1483118118

They clear the wheel evenly by about the thickness of a good coat of paint

attachment.php?attachmentid=216335&d=1483118139

Bimbo's 001.jpgBimbo's 003.jpgBimbo's 004.jpgBimbo's 005.jpgBimbo's 007.jpgBimbo's 008.jpgBimbo's 009.jpgBimbo's 011.jpgBimbo's 012.jpgBimbo's 013.jpgBimbo's 014.jpgBimbo's 015.jpgBimbo's 017.jpg

Bimbo's 002.jpg

Bimbo's 010.jpg

Edited by David P (see edit history)

I've got a set of these waiting to go on my car when all the other work is done to it.

They wouldn't fit behind my 18s tho and may need a very minor trim (1-2mm max in 2 spots) to fit behind my new 19s.

Glanza-mike's wheels are 19s and his fitted no problem at all without any trimming, but every wheel design is different.

One thing, the fronts take the same size pads as an R35 GTR, so I've got a set of Chris Wilson GTR pads to put in mine.

Oh and the discs are cheap. Genuine drilled Brembo discs (360mm + 345mm) from Eurocarparts cost me about £245 for all 4 delivered!

Edited by Big Mark (see edit history)

Yeah they're great :cool:

It was a nice warm afternoon when me and David were mapping the gearbox and had no brake fade after our repeated stop/start antics. They cost a lot less than Supra Bremos even after shipping from US but the ass is all the fettling to get them fitted. Especially if staying with 18" wheels like me.

The look here is wip:

I've attached the front caliper measurements to give a bit of help in finding if they will fit under a wider range of allow wheels.

Bear in mind this sheet is based on my modified calipers and measurement 'D' may well be different on a brand new caliper set. A lot of material was taken off the outer shoulders which extend further than the center section where the pistons are.

Brembo_SRT8_caliper-details.pdf

I think they are definitely worth the money, they look amazing and stop very well.

At first i wasn't 100% sold on the brake pedal feel but i've bled them a few more times and now i think it's fine. The Supra never has an amazingly sharp pedal feel from what i've felt in all the cars i've driven. My pedal now is better than when i had my UK specs on but performance is definitely better.

It's not that bad. ;) Had a garage do it in the end, whilst it was in the air on the level having something else done.

Edited for you Mike. ;)

"It's not that bad."

Not only is it a 1 in 5? slope, it's slippery and uneven and to rub it in, it's pink and shiny too, your gay drive only nearly killed us once. :D

Note that nose up your gay drive, your nipples are way from the top.

Next time you want to bleed, do it nose down your gay drive, that will get your nipples up. :limp:

attachment.php?attachmentid=216331&d=1483118056

• 2 weeks later...

Thread with more pretty Bimbo SRT8 pics, linked for reference. :)

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?312085-Glanza_Mike-s-Clean-White-VVTI-Supra-Project!&p=4037264&viewfull=1#post4037264

Another thread with pretty pictures of Bimbo SRT8's.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?339190-Brembo-srt8-big-brake-kit