The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Gearbox options

supra_jms

Hi all,

I have used the search feature and see its been asked to death but no clear difinitve answer.

Im buying an auto and want to convert it to manual.

Money not so much an issue.

Current options:

R154

Bmw gearboxes

T56

V160/v161

I would happily buy a v160/v161 but i believe i am right in saying some parts you cannot get hold of and no one has any plans to make them so it something goes wrong you have to bin the box?

Thanks in advance all.

What are your power goals? If you're going for sub 600/700 I'd go for an R154 as new syncros and gearsets are readily available (even uprated ones). And the whole conversion in general will be easier.

BMW conversions seem brilliant and the boxes themselves are VERY inexpensive, although for a road car the gear ratios aren't ideal afaik. The best one is an E46 M3 gearbox. You'll still end up spending a fair whack after you buy the conversion kit, modify props/shifter etc.

T56, I'm honestly unsure and have heard of no one who's actually running one. It's all well and good people saying how good these are, but who's actually tried one in the UK? I wouldn't bother looking into it unless you're going for big power IMO, will probably be too much of a headache.

V161/160 is probably still the best option and can hold as much power as you want really and will be straight bolt in. But as you said, the only thing is parts availibility and the ridiculous prices at the minute.

I hope this helps!

I have an R154 in at the minute and love it personally.

Grannas racing in the US do the t56 conversions. A complete t56 swap is available with all new parts Inc brand new gearbox, for not much more than a used getrag conversion. Plus, you can use your auto diff.

Apparently Suprasport in the Netherlands have the parts to rebuild the getrag now.

£6k for a 20 year old gearbox that cant be rebuilt? no thanks

I know everyone has there own opinion on 6 speeds but in my opinion unless youre chasing crazy crazy power i dont see the point in spending that and potentially getting stung

The prices they go for these days are starting to make the DCT gearbox conversion the way forward

Must say the BMW conversion cannot be all that as i see JamieP is selling his setup from his m3 and getting a v161 to go in it.

You are absoluetly right regarding the lack of rebuilds being an option. It wouldnt bother me so much if they could be rebuilt but cost a lot to rebuild.

Must say the BMW conversion cannot be all that as i see JamieP is selling his setup from his m3 and getting a v161 to go in it.

You are absoluetly right regarding the lack of rebuilds being an option. It wouldnt bother me so much if they could be rebuilt but cost a lot to rebuild.

The BMW Getrag is proven to over 1000 whp in the US.

I think JamieP is only swapping as a precaution as the box has been fine iirc.