The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Ceramic Coating

evinX

Hi all, i have a brand new NA exhaust manifold shield and want to have it coated so its protected from corrosion/ crackling. Ive been looking into Ceramic coating and wonder if anyone has done any of their parts in ceramic? Any suggestions as to where i can get it done?

Cheers, Kev

What's the benefit? Most people use wrap. It's comparatively a lot cheaper and protects the heat leaving the area.

The cost to coat a manifold against the benefits or protecting it against cracking due to heat reduction in my opinion are low.

Cracking can still occur. An incorrectly installed exhaust system may cause cracking anyway, which coating wouldn't account for.

Though a cracked manifold is indeed annoying. If your NA you don't have much apart from the intake system to remove to get to it.

I'd question why you want to spend out on coating. I'm unsure the benefit on a road car.

What's the benefit? Most people use wrap. It's comparatively a lot cheaper and protects the heat leaving the area.

The cost to coat a manifold against the benefits or protecting it against cracking due to heat reduction in my opinion are low.

Cracking can still occur. An incorrectly installed exhaust system may cause cracking anyway, which coating wouldn't account for.

Though a cracked manifold is indeed annoying. If your NA you don't have much apart from the intake system to remove to get to it.

I'd question why you want to spend out on coating. I'm unsure the benefit on a road car.

No its the heat shield that bolts to the manifold, mainly for cosmetics only. Normal paint isnt holding up and dont know itf powder coating will, it gets stupidly hot that shield does.

I have used camcoat previously for their black satin coating on manifolds and was pleased with the finish and the price was also competitive compared to other brands of coaters.

In regards to wrapping it, if you decide to wrap it please dont use ebay heatwrap or anything like that. You need a proper heatwrap like DEI titanium and each branch needs individually wrapping. DEI contains a chemical compound and the wrap is applied 'wet' so that once the wrap is on (tight) and secured with lock wire or metal zip ties..it forms a barrier to keep heat in

Lastly, unless its a high performance motor where under bay temps are becoming a problem id not bother. Just my opinion but its your car. do what makes you happy!