The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Opinnions after testing the spanish supra i want to buy...

mikyrc

Hey finally i went to see and test the car, but i was really disappointed.

The car looked good on the pictures but in person it wasn't so great.

Specially the interiors looked very old and not well taken care. Speaker covers falling, steering wheel in bad shape, cracks on the dash board and some plastics, he had to change the shift knob and add pedal plates because they were very worn. The front bumper was a bit bent on the passenger side and some bolts weren't there.

The brakes were very soft, i didn't felt right feedback, i think the servo is going bad.

The engine sounded fine, only injector noises. I revved the engine and no white/blue smoke on the exhaust. Also left the engine iddling for about 6min and no smoke or bad smell at all. The only thing that worried me was that the Bypass valve (stock bov) was all covered with oil :eek::eek: That makes me think that the turbos oil seals are leaking?? What do you think?

The gear shifting was ok except for the 6th gear that was harder to put it in, you had to make more force to make it engage. The clutch was fine, no slipping.

And every time i let off the throttle in 4th, 5th or 6th gear, you could hear and feel a CLONK on the differential at the rear side. I don't know it this is normal. Is this a sign of differential wear?

Other than that the car pulled hard, from 2.400 to 4.300 the power wasn't so great but at 4.500 the car pulled a lot more and the power kept increasing as the rpm was rising. I putted it at 120mph in a snap.

Another think i didn't thought it would be like this, were the SUPER SMALL trunk space (like only 10in deep) and the rear seats only for children. The eclipse has more room for the rear passengers than the supra!!

In general i think the car looks really old to me, not worth of paying 22.000 euros (15.000).

What do you guys think about the oily BOV, the soft brake and the clonk sound in the diff?

Thanks.

My BOV had quite a bit of oily crap covering it when I bought the car, but to be honest I think it was just gradual build up over the years... I cleaned it off and none has reappeared since (several thousand miles ago).

I think that a very small, very fine spray of oil comes out of the BOV now and again when driven hard (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong). I asked about it when I first got the car because like you I was worried about the turbo's going.

I dont know enough technical wise, but i would say walk away mate.

Obviously wear on the pedals and gearknob etc is normal, and the dash may be slightly dry and cracked with the heat in spain maybe ?! Seen this a lot on cars in Cyprus etc..........BUT there are a lot more examples out there that will be better condition and cleaner. I would hold out for the one that makes you say "Yeah this is the one for me!"

Michael

Ok i'll play Mr Optimist. Simply because from what i remember from Mikyrc's previous posts supras are so rare out there.

1) The interior bits are lets face it cosmetic and even though LHD can be sourced, possibly from the states, Dusty?

2) Brakes do not in general have a servo problem, could just need a fluid change etc.

3) 100k miles and the BOV will have oil on it. 'Covered with oil' means different things to different people. Did you look at the air filter for signs of oil?

4) When i first had my 6 speed, i once or twice had trouble engaging 6th, and this was due to me not being used to it and holding the stick to hard across when coming down from 5th. The gearbox is known for its notchy change from 1st to 2nd and thats about it problem wise, how was that change?

5) Not too sure on the clunk noise, i'd say further investigation required.

6) Boot and seats is just the way things are with the supra!

As for looking old and not worth the money well only you've seen it so you're best to comment, all i'm saying is its not necessarily all doom and gloom.....

I just say one thing, my car now is almost 8 years old and if you see it you won't say it has more than 3-4 years. It's all how people take care of their cars.

That supra was really looking like 12 or more years. I don't know how many people owned it before, but i'll tell you something, nobody did the efford to leave it in perfect shape.

I don't know how can somebody end with the two front corners of the sunroof dented and with the paint falling off and how can somebody with such a great car drive with the front bumper not attached to the inner wheel plastic plate nad not make it be fixed?

I know that interiors are just cosmetic but if you see a interior like this what will you think about the health of the engine? I'll not know if the oil changes were made at the right intervals or the guy waited for the temp to rise before racing the car or who will trust that they lefted the car iddling a bit before shutting off to make the torbos cool down?

About the brakes they just felt like the foot was burying or sink (i don't know the right word) too much, the pedal engaged to far, if you pushed two times then it was much better.

About the BOV, covered with oil means there was black oil and dust all over it in the outside, i didn't unplug anything, even you could see some drops of oil in the engine under the bov. He has a carbon style air filter and i hadn't any screwdriver or tool to unscrew the clamps. I asked him but told me he didn't have any tools right there.I put my fingers on the other BOV's outlet and there wasn't any liquid oil there. (the 2nd bov is attached on the throttle body rubber elbow).

1rsst and 2nd weren't hard to put, the car was warmed aleady when i test it, it was just the 6th that you had to make a bit more of force and make a bit of movement to the left side to make it enter. The reverse gear was also a bit hard to put it, i had to push the clutch two times before it came in.

The clunk was very notticeable when you let off the throttle in upper gears.

I didn't end buing it because i said to myself, "Am i gonna pay that ammount of money for a car that yes pulls very hard but looks like 15 years old?" No way.

I think that supra prices are super axaggerated.

ah so you'd already made your mind up.......

so why ask "What do you guys think about the oily BOV, the soft brake and the clonk sound in the diff? " if you've already decided against it?

If you don't want it fair enough but why waste mine and others time for opinions that won't even be considered.......

Hey sorry, i didn't want to offend you :( Why are you mad at me?

I was asking that because that's the first supra i see and test in person. And all those things i wrotte here were things that worried me.

Yes i decided not to buy that car bu I was just asking oppinions because if i find another supra in better interior shape and i see this things on it too, then i should know if those things are normal or not.

But sorry if i bothered you, i'm just a newbie in the supras world. :( :(

My bad, sorry, i think i slightly over reacted!

Bad day for me i guess, you asking these questions when thinking ahead to seeing another car makes perfect sense......ignore me and ask away.....

Gee Whizz Scooter keep that up and newbies will be too afraid to join and ask questions for fear of getting slaughtered by you ! :rolleyes: :stickpoke

Take a valium or something :tongue:

The guy now says that he lowers the price £686 more, so now he's selling it to me for £14.400 I told him that maybe for £13.720 (20.000€) i'll buy it. But didn't accept it for now. I'm not ina hurry, i still have to sell my car.

For £700-£1.200 do you think i could fix all those bad parts?

-New dash plate.

-Maybe new brake pump?

-New steering wheel airbag cover.

-Repaint and fix the sunroof.

-Maybe repaint and fix the front bumper.

-Differential free play?

The truth is that i really love the black supras, and this one is black, and has 19" wheels that make it even prettier.

If you are speaking about having to change the whole upper dash mate, then i think you will find it is a lot more hassle than it is worth. For the sake of saving only £700-1200, i wouldnt even bother. I would hold on until a nicer one comes along eventually.

There is always a temptation for people who are looking to buy a particular car, that they will "impulse buy" the first one they see because of the fact they want that type of car so much. I know a lot of people who have done this and regretted it.

This car to me, personally, cries out that it has not been looked after. The problems that you know of and can see, could only be the beginning of it mate, you could end up with a complete dog of a car in a few months when mechanical expensive things start to go wrong. And the chances are if the car hasnt had time and TLC spent on it, then its not going to have seen much money thrown at it maintenance wise either.

The dash needs replacing, the sunroof sounds like it has had some sort of VERY strange damage, the brakes sound dodgy, and the bumper will cost a few hundred to fix too. If you are also contemplating replacing the airbag / steering wheel, then that could well cost the £1200+ alone alongside the rest of it !

I still think you should walk away. Just because its your favourite colour and has 19" wheels doesnt mean you should overlook the fact that its not a good example.

Hope this helps mate

Michael ;)

It must be real frustrating...Spain is not a buyers market when it comes to Supras, and I guess you have to be very much self sufficient when it comes to Repairs/maintainance too, I remember driving into a Toyota Garage in Malaga once, all the Staff came out to have a look and to make sure it was actually a Toyota...then we started throwing tomotoes at each other.

:D

(soz I was joking about the last bit)

It must be difficult to walk away when you dont know when the next LHD one will arrive...but best thing to do is buy a RHD..or just hang on for a bit...I'm sure the right one will turn up...Its real good to see more Supras in Spain...hope I bump into ya when ya get yours whilst im there next....!!!!

I will keep my eyes open over here and if i see anything LHD this way...I'll pm ya!

P.S. I wanna go to Valancia and throw Tomatoes at people he he.

:nana:

No it's not the whole dash, it's the dashboard, only the instruments and gauges cover, i don't know how to explain it, in the picture below is the plastic cover rounded with the pink marker. (not this one of course this picture i taken from internet)

What really worries me is the differential and the brake, if i have to buy or repair a diferential it will cost a lot. And the brake pump too.

The airbag covers are sold toghether with the whole airbag? Not good.

I've found another spanish supra for sale for £14.500, is a grey plated color, but i don't know if is Manual or automatic. I'll call him tomorrow.

No it's not the whole dash, it's the dashboard, only the instruments and gauges cover, i don't know how to explain it, in the picture below is the plastic cover rounded with the pink marker. (not this one of course this picture i taken from internet)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/mikyrc/dashboard.jpg

What really worries me is the differential and the brake, if i have to buy or repair a diferential it will cost a lot. And the brake pump too.

The airbag covers are sold toghether with the whole airbag? Not good.

I've found another spanish supra for sale for £14.500, is a grey plated color, but i don't know if is Manual or automatic. I'll call him tomorrow.

The dash panels are frequently reparayed by guys over here so not a problem.

The diff may be shagged so may need replacing or a total rebuild. The brakes are hard to diagnose. It could just be the system needs a fluid change and bleed any air out. MKIV brakes are very good and not many faults recorded, same with the diff really, combined with worn rubbers on the peddles, makes me think this one has seen a hard life with little TLC.

we have a big network of owners over here so getting sparea and help is not too difficult, I suspect you will be very much on your own over in Spain.

I suggest it will be worth looking at the other one just so you can compare.

Take you time dont rush.

It's probably that the brake fluid hasn't been changed in 12 years! As a side info i know in which toyota garage the owner before this one used to go so i'll ask the toyota garage guys in my area to call them and find out the real shape of that car. The current owner just had this car for 8th months now.

But as you say it's better to just wait for the right one.

What's TLC?

By the way Green Peace, are you the guy with the green supra with neons that are in the millhouse's videos?

If so i really love your car!! Specially the rims.

Whell, let's see how all this ends.

Mikyrc this is from your first post

"And every time i let off the throttle in 4th, 5th or 6th gear, you could hear and feel a CLONK on the differential at the rear side. I don't know it this is normal. Is this a sign of differential wear? "

I'm not sure if anyone here can say for sure if this actually is differential wear, can anyone? It could be serious enough for a diff replacement which would be expensive, but perhaps it could be the rubber bushings on the propshaft or something else relatively minor. You need someone with sound supra mechanical knowledge to help diagnose this i think.

The diff may be shagged so may need replacing or a total rebuild. The brakes are hard to diagnose. It could just be the system needs a fluid change and bleed any air out. MKIV brakes are very good and not many faults recorded, same with the diff really, combined with worn rubbers on the peddles, makes me think this one has seen a hard life with little TLC.

I suggest it will be worth looking at the other one just so you can compare.

Take you time dont rush.

To look at another is good advice and so is taking your time....

However in your position where very low number of supra's are being sold i would investigate more into each one before dismissing it.

Diff MIGHT be ok

Brakes MIGHT just need a good bleed fluid change

Rubber pedals have a right to be worn on an old car don't they?