The mkiv Supra Owners Club

KW v3 coilovers

bignum

Recently purchased V3 and put them to the test on our annual trip into the Highlands of Scotland. I was very impressed with them both in fast road situations as well as everyday usuabilty and comfort.

Build quality is brilliant and I got a great price from Richie at Co-Ordsport :)

I have them on my 2 of my cars a mk2 golf and Audi rs6 and i hate them, even on their softest settings i find them too harsh for roads in my area. Definitely no good for B roads. I also have found that every year im having to raise the ride height of my audi due to spring droopage. Which brings me to the plus side, with a simple pressure wash and loosening of the grub screw its easy to move the spring plate. The bump adjustment is a pita.

Have rode in an impreza with them, wouldnt say they were worth the price tag but they certainly are a top tier suspension kit. Iv been in a lot of cars with coilovers and they were better than most

Il be trying out Meister R coilovers on my supra + bmw next.

I have MeisterR CRDs on my supra and i love them :thumbs:

Anyone using this coilover kit, any feedback and best place to buy please.

Are you already sold on the KW v3, if I recall for roughly the same money you can get a set of Ohlins or Nitron R1, the Ohlins are damn nice but you would need to contact a supplier as I dont think they list the JZA80 anymore.

Thanks for the replies guys, wez problem with nitrons they`re another grand and the maintenance of them is too much like every year, they don`t even come with dust boots! as they expect you to have them serviced all the time,

Johny also alot of BM guys run kw`s with good results.

Look at the reviews that talk about track use. They were saying the V'3's springs were a bit too soft for track use. If irc there was talk of swapping to stiffer springs as a solution but it was certainly a popular view that they were more for street use :thumbs:

P.s i have them fitted and they are great other than the hydraulic oil squeaks going over speed bumps.

Edited by Marcus GTE (see edit history)

problem with nitrons they`re another grand and the maintenance of them is too much like every year, they don`t even come with dust boots! as they expect you to have them serviced all the time

To be honest that would rule the Nitrons out for me too, sounds like hassle.

Thanks for the replies guys, wez problem with nitrons they`re another grand and the maintenance of them is too much like every year, they don`t even come with dust boots! as they expect you to have them serviced all the time,

The Nitron's aren't that bad! Have had them on my supra a while now with no issues! Definitely worth the extra grand! You will

Know where you have spent the extra when you lean on them!

• 1 month later...

I had a look into this

http://www.nitron.co.uk/pwpcontrol.php?pwpID=17741

RECOMMENDED SERVICE INTERVALS

The frequency of a recommended service varies according to the individual schedule received with the shock, however the recommended servicing schedules are detailed below.

For arduous Race use, the service time frames are dependent on application.

Automotive

Race Use - Annually/Off-Season

Road/Track - 20,000 – 30,000 km / 12,000 – 18,000 miles

I had a look into this

http://www.nitron.co.uk/pwpcontrol.php?pwpID=17741

RECOMMENDED SERVICE INTERVALS

The frequency of a recommended service varies according to the individual schedule received with the shock, however the recommended servicing schedules are detailed below.

For arduous Race use, the service time frames are dependent on application.

Automotive

Race Use - Annually/Off-Season

Road/Track - 20,000 – 30,000 km / 12,000 – 18,000 miles

The price of getting the Nitrons fully rebuilt by Nitron is about the same price as set of Toyota bilstien shocks! Dust boots can be fitted no problem at all. And nitrons after sales team is excellent!

The price of getting the Nitrons fully rebuilt by Nitron is about the same price as set of Toyota bilstien shocks! Dust boots can be fitted no problem at all. And nitrons after sales team is excellent!

Even Cheaper NTR R1(1-Way) Short build 64 + vat and £95.00 + VAT full rebuild

SERVICE LEVELS

Nitron offers 2 levels of servicing for all our shocks:

Short Rebuild

Fully clean and degrease in a chemical tank

Oil change

Piston assembly strip, inspection and clean

Strip and replace shaft seals

Strip and replace main body o-rings

Full Rebuild

All of the Short Rebuild plus:

Full main body strip-down, inspection and clean

Full replacement of all seals, shims, scrapers and back-up rings

End cap removal, inspection, cleaning and re-assembly

Adjuster mechanism strip-down, clean, re-calibration and re-assembly

Nitrogen re-gas to specified pressure

Dyno performance test

- - - Updated - - -

How are yours working out on the road , ride comfort like and how much mileage on them now?

Email from Nitron

Service intervals are very much case dependant, for example an endurance race car should be serviced every year to maintain optimal performance whereas a weekend road car can get away with years without a service.

We suggest servicing every 12-18,000 miles for a road car, obviously if your car is used on the track mainly this mileage is greatly reduced due to the much higher operating temperatures. I always tell customers to regularly check the adjusters are still turning freely and the clicks are still as positive as the day you received them and to keep the piston rod lubricated and free of debris and then to use your best judgment of when they will need to be serviced, most people service every 3-5 years.

Sadly we don’t offer dust boots for our shocks, you may be able to find spring socks that would effectively do the same thing.

If you want to focus on track performance then obviously you will have to sacrifice compliancy for the road, we try to keep this to a minimum however as performance is our main goal you will notice a difference. We also use spherical bearings rather than rubber mounts so you will encounter more road noise.

Spring rates for a track focussed car would be 700lbs front 400lbs rear.

Let me know if you require anymore information.

Kind regards,

Alex Kernahan

Sales Team

Nitron Racing Systems Ltd

Unit 20 Avenue One

Station Lane

Witney

Oxfordshire

OX28 4XZ

UK