The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hi, All opinions

Guest smyster27

Guest smyster27

Hi All, pretty new

Opinions from other members as scouring google aint helping, ask the experts

Joined the other month, bought a 1994 Manual N/A Supra 73k miles in Sept in need of a little TLC mainly a full repaint and a damaged Veilside kit, sorted all mechanicals mainly braking system and MOT'd it with no advisories apart from 2 tyres just above legal limit, veilside don't seem popular, thinking of removing and going back OEM don't like fiberglass always seems to need work, have sourced original pods and hockey sticks etc, is this the way to go as in making more desirable.

Tuning seems limited put the car up for sale (do enjoy driving it) and buy a turbo as costs involved to get any decent horsepower seem really expensive, told a waste of time fitting a turbo kit to the engine I've got, not after insane but 350ish bhp would be good, cheaper in long run to sell and buy a turbo ??

Have googled and looked at tuning but cant seem to find any decent answers some say yes others no, turbo engines seem to cost a fortune for a swap, any other engine options which are not stupid money, Car has an aftermarket ECU, and full 3" stainless system from manifold fitted need to buy a filter but busy trying to snap up parts.

I'm dead undecided as car good fun but don't know about putting the effort in or sell and buy a auto turbo few around for £8.5kish

Cheers Steve

* Definitely a smart move going back to OEM on the skirts.

* You can't tune the stock NA car as the ECU is not programmable. You can swap it out for a programmable one at significant cost.

* Are you sure its worth all the extra expense for another 130 bhp? Stock NA is fast enough for me as the main desirability of the supra is its presence which is of course the same for NA and TT.

veilside don't seem popular, thinking of removing and going back OEM don't like fiberglass always seems to need work, have sourced original pods and hockey sticks etc, is this the way to go as in making more desirable.

The above statement is true about the desirability of Veilside these days however if you like it then keep it, build the car for what you like not what others like as if you like it then thats all that matters, sure its nice when people appreciate the work/effort/styling you have done but they are only seeing it for a limited time so its more important that you are happy with the car you have built. If selling then that is different yes I would recommend going back to the OEM items you have as it will potentially see more money but more important than that it will increase your range of potential buyers.

Tuning seems limited put the car up for sale (do enjoy driving it) and buy a turbo as costs involved to get any decent horsepower seem really expensive, told a waste of time fitting a turbo kit to the engine I've got, not after insane but 350ish bhp would be good, cheaper in long run to sell and buy a turbo ??

Have googled and looked at tuning but cant seem to find any decent answers some say yes others no, turbo engines seem to cost a fortune for a swap, any other engine options which are not stupid money, Car has an aftermarket ECU, and full 3" stainless system from manifold fitted need to buy a filter but busy trying to snap up parts.

I'm dead undecided as car good fun but don't know about putting the effort in or sell and buy a auto turbo few around for £8.5kish

Tuning as in terms of power is quite limited in a N/A yes, if wanting more power the best in terms of investment would be to sell up and buy a genuine TT as the value will be as safe a bet as you can make (worst case scenario the only value decrease would be in condition so aslong as its kept tidy it will at least hold value if not even increase slightly). with turbo converting a N/A or engine swapping you have more risks involved. Im not saying don't turbo it or do an engine swap as this may work out better for you and if looking for mid 300's then I agree with the post above that a 1JZ might possibly be the best way to go (plenty of build threads on here to search for on advice and also loads of very friendly and knowledgeable members always willing to offer advice) but totally depends what your after in the end result :)

Also welcome to the club :) put some pics up of your Supra when you get chance :)

Guest smyster27

Been told by my mate who runs a garage Ive used for last 20years that it has an aftermarket ECU fitted when he was trying to sort the ABS faults but cant remember the name, will have a look next week as working 4 12hrs from tonight, see if its programmable and manufacturer.

The veilside stuff is badly fitted as doors catch so if I'm removing it thought OEM the way to go, did not mind the veilside look but want to do a decent paint job look whats underneath not just a quick flash over, think I've got a front bumper tied down so good for stock again.

Has anyone used the leather type seat covers you can buy from the states, how easy are they to fit

Will get some pics up but she aint pretty, mechanically sound but still gets looked at rough as she is because only one other in the area and a rare sight

Thanks again

Edited by smyster27 (see edit history)

Guest smyster27

Car has a TOMs engine control system fitted, (TECS) anyone throw any light on this, are they any good, does not say anything else on the label as in serial number model etc, cant upload a pic of it, seen a thread on here but again they were not too sure. On TOMs website says only compatible with standard airbox exhaust or there products. Guessing not programmable as all seems to be done in house by them. Website does not give a lot also a lot of Japanese.