The mkiv Supra Owners Club

EVC 6 IR 2.4 Installation

Rob W

Has anyone got the HKS EVC 6 Supra GTE specific install diagrams/manual by any chance?

I've searched many threads, even on the US forum but can only seem to find diagrams which are the same plumbing as the Blitz boost controller off No.1 turbo.

I found a thread on here, Burna saying that HKS done a specific plumbing diagram for the supra sequential set-up which is different then the Blitz which has got me searching. I've PM'd Burna but no response as of yet was just seeing if anyone else has got a copy.

Any information would be great :)

Thanks.

Have a read of this thread: http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?684672-Need-help-installing-HKS-EVC-5-ebc-on-stock-twins

And in particular choritsu-shi posts. Post #50 contains the diagram to correctly plumbing in of the HKS EVC 5 & 6, but I can't see the attachment, probably because I'm not a member, can someone please post that diagram here?

Edited by Burna (see edit history)

Sorry Rob! Things are hectic at the moment :/ I'll take a read of your PM and explain what we found the best I can mate.

Have a read of this thread: http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?684672-Need-help-installing-HKS-EVC-5-ebc-on-stock-twins

And in particular choritsu-shi posts. Post #50 contains the diagram to correctly plumbing in of the HKS EVC 5 & 6, but I can't see the attachment, probably because I'm not a member, can someone please post that diagram here?

No worries mate, thanks for getting back to me. Yea I came across that thread but different people have different views on how it should be done. Same, I cannot view it as my log-in doesn't seem to work anymore.

Looking at the HKS PDF, I have taken a screen shot of two of the diagrams I think may apply.

The first diagram just shows running off the first turbo like most electronic Boost controllers which I was lead to believe that it's different for the HKS. More to the point so I can increase Boost on No.1 turbo other then just when both of them come online.

That's the one! :)

Now, this is where the story gets tricky lol. My EVC 5 I had plumbed in a very weird way, not like a standard EBC install, but Trick or I can't remember how it was plumbed in, the controller itself had to be set at 100% to get it to boost to 1.35/1.4 bar, but at low speeds it was very aggressive and pulled hard, it was amazing, jesus christ the car flew!

Then I switched to an EVC 6, and Trick kindly helped fit it for me. I assured him that the pipework wouldn't have to change, but once I drove home and tried it, I couldn't get it to adjust over 1.15 bar, it seems the pipework wasn't right. So the next day he plumbed it in the same as his AVCR, and the EVC 6 worked.

Now here's the crunch, the boost comes on in a very different now to the way it use to be. Now I feel a dip in power when it changes to the second turbo, and then it takes off. It is nowhere as quick on the first turbo and aggressive in acceleration as it use to be when plumbed in differently on the EVC 5.

I want to try the HKS way, and probably will tbh, but Tim at TB Developments, and also TrickTT have advised me against it, as it puts a lot of boost pressure through the first turbo apparently.

My suggestion Rob is put a thread up in technical, and see what people who really understand the sequential setup think of the way HKS suggest plumb it in, like Tim and TrickTT. It would be great to settle it once and for all.

Edited by Burna (see edit history)

Ok mate, thanks for letting me know and taking the time explaining your experience with the HKS controller.

I might set it up the HKS way, see how I can get it responding and will let you know. I will post a thread up in the technical as some stage to see if the more knowledgable members on the sequential system views.

Thanks again bud.

Keeping a close eye on this as mine was plumbed in very strangely then when it went to srd they re did it. Since installing a boost gauge I noticed I only boost to 1bar and it used to over boost before the work.

Unfortunately I had a few things done in one hit so not sure if it's a result of the new restrictor ring and decat or a change in plumbing.

I want to reset it bit that looks a mission on its own as the setup isn't as simple as a percentage increase

Ok mate, thanks for letting me know and taking the time explaining your experience with the HKS controller.

I might set it up the HKS way, see how I can get it responding and will let you know. I will post a thread up in the technical as some stage to see if the more knowledgable members on the sequential system views.

Thanks again bud.

No problem. I'm going for a beer with Tim and Trick tonight, so I'll ask them again about it, and try to understand it more. Hopefully they will post their thoughts here if they get chance.

Keeping a close eye on this as mine was plumbed in very strangely then when it went to srd they re did it. Since installing a boost gauge I noticed I only boost to 1bar and it used to over boost before the work.

Unfortunately I had a few things done in one hit so not sure if it's a result of the new restrictor ring and decat or a change in plumbing.

I want to reset it bit that looks a mission on its own as the setup isn't as simple as a percentage increase

/QUOTE]

Which one do you have Jake? EVC 5 or 6? I find the EVC 6 a hell of a lot easier to adjust than my old 5.

Here are some instructions that I found easier to understand than the manual when setting up my EVC 6, they might help you mate:

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?425301-**-HKS-EVC6-**-HKSEVC6-Boost-Controller&

No problem. I'm going for a beer with Tim and Trick tonight, so I'll ask them again about it, and try to understand it more. Hopefully they will post their thoughts here if they get chance.

Which one do you have Jake? EVC 5 or 6? I find the EVC 6 a hell of a lot easier to adjust than my old 5.

Here are some instructions that I found easier to understand than the manual when setting up my EVC 6, they might help you mate:

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?425301-**-HKS-EVC6-**-HKSEVC6-Boost-Controller&

I think it's a 6 mate. (black unit with black and white digital display) and cheers for the link but still a foreign language to me. :/

I get a boost controller on a UK spec but on J specs why don't people just run a boost they are happy with via the restrictor ring and then do the first turbo mod to give a bit more low down boost. So 0.85-0.9 on the first turbo and 1.1-1.2bar on the second/both?

Do people with the controllers actually frequently adjust them?

I had issues with my latest cars boosting and an old dodgy controller and it's now manually setup as above and it's never felt better, the 'controller' is now just a gauge. Other than not being able to select a more risky, 1.2-1.3 setting what am I missing out on?

I get a boost controller on a UK spec but on J specs why don't people just run a boost they are happy with via the restrictor ring and then do the first turbo mod to give a bit more low down boost. So 0.85-0.9 on the first turbo and 1.1-1.2bar on the second/both?

Do people with the controllers actually frequently adjust them?

I had issues with my latest cars boosting and an old dodgy controller and it's now manually setup as above and it's never felt better, the 'controller' is now just a gauge. Other than not being able to select a more risky, 1.2-1.3 setting what am I missing out on?

What's the first turbo mod?

That helps with setting up, I'll use that when I do mine cheers mate.

I think it's a 6 mate. (black unit with black and white digital display) and cheers for the link but still a foreign language to me. :/

/QUOTE]

I think that's the EVC 5 as mine is the EVC 6 which is black, 4 silver round buttons and in colour mate.

What's the first turbo mod?

IIRC its using a manual valve that you adjust to up the boost on the No.1 turbo with different plumbing on one of the VSV's, or something like that. I remember seeing a picture of a couple done on the forum before.

This is what I was thinking about doing but as I thought using the HKS EVC's you could up the boost on No.1 and then use the speed maps for feeding in the boost at different MPH I went this route. Hopefully it works out as I hoped!

That helps with setting up, I'll use that when I do mine cheers mate.

I think that's the EVC 5 as mine is the EVC 6 which is black, 4 silver round buttons and in colour mate.

IIRC its using a manual valve that you adjust to up the boost on the No.1 turbo with different plumbing on one of the VSV's, or something like that. I remember seeing a picture of a couple done on the forum before.

This is what I was thinking about doing but as I thought using the HKS EVC's you could up the boost on No.1 and then use the speed maps for feeding in the boost at different MPH I went this route. Hopefully it works out as I hoped!

They also did the EVC 6 in black and white display, as that's what mine is.

That's a good idea about plumbing in on turbo 1, then setting the boost maps in relation to speed.

The sequential system can be sensitive and prone (with age) to degradation and modified ones also prone to flaws. Let's face it unless you are making very low boost these cars in isolation always feel fast, so it's sometimes hard to know it's not at it's optimum?

The luxury of having a bone stock TT to compare it to made me realise the bpu car was struggling low down and just not working right. Adjusting the 'gain' etc just didn't seem to be doing much and as it happens whether plumbing or the unit itself it just wasn't working correctly other than high up the rev range.

Once I'd got the controller just working as a gauge I just gradually opened out the restrictor ring to give the 1.1-1.15 bar (summer time) and the linked mod, gives a bit more low rev boost, whilst still giving a smooth transition (ie the 2nd turbo is still getting some/enough pre spool).

Remember though that it's my first ever BPU, and I'm not a power craver, but it is now a big improvement over the stock car in any rev range and is for me very quick and very smooth....basically I now don't want to touch/tweak anything! Boost controller is now just a fancy gauge with a handy adjustable audible boost warning.

• 6 months later...

Just to update this thread.

I fitted my HKS EVC 6-IR a few months ago, so happy with how it runs now. Far better response then the car has ever been low down, easy to set up and just cannot recommend this boost controller enough.

Using these pictures and a bit of time I worked it all out, the only PITA was getting the vacuum line on the pressure tank but can be done from below. I've recently been doing a load of work on the car since its been back from full repaint which I might do a build thread on if I get the time, replaced all the vacuum lines as perfect access to the pressure tank and associated lines.

The specific HKS diagrams show different model solenoids from the HKS boost controllers depending which version you have.

attachment.php?attachmentid=221520&stc=1&d=1501585073

attachment.php?attachmentid=221519&stc=1&d=1501585073

This is how the plumbing looks from the top, best I could do really with how it has to be plumbed in.

attachment.php?attachmentid=221518&stc=1&d=1501585073

If anyone has any questions let me know and I'll do my best to answer them :)

8B1093A7-643E-41BE-A9C4-FEB3ADB62CC5_zps6ynkxdp4.jpg

89E09972-4A4C-46F0-AB17-BF5FD9625976_zpsvaog0kge.JPG

D89ED5AA-16FF-4B55-8F95-0FF03E30F5D2_zpsb0oklqb5.JPG

Edited by Rob W (see edit history)

• 1 month later...