The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Exporting to the USA?

Milo500

Hi, guys,

I had a conversation with a buddy of mine who also has a mkiv, and he is thinking of selling his in the new year.

We started discussing the fact that the mkiv's in the USA are at an extreme price difference compared to here in the UK.

To which I ask, has anyone ever thought of exporting to the USA for the sale of their car? (I am aware that the driving side will be incorrect, so will reduce the price slightly), also registration and shipping will be a factor....

However, even with all of this incorporated, there would still be a great difference in what you could get for one over here to the USA.

Have people thought of this allready and has been disproven? I can't be the only person that has had this as a thought.

Please throw your opinions this way :)

Cheers,

Tom

Slight problem is the Americans wouldn't be interested in RH drive vehicles so the only UK imports they will be taking would be to strip for parts. I can see it'll be like e-types are to us with lots being brought back into the country with the more likely export market being the RH drive ones in Japan and other LH Asia countries

Edited by rider (see edit history)

They have to be 25 years old to be legally imported into the USA. It'll be interesting to see what it does to prices here.

Ohh yea ofcourse hahah, completely forgot about the obvious, so I'm guessing in a few years time ;)

Also I have seen a couple of rhd over there, and there isn't as much of a price difference of what you would think...there is also a video of a guy on YouTube on the roads untraveled channel of a guy who bought a rhd mkiv and he says it didn't bother him about ut being rhd, but bought it because it was slightly cheaper than a us spec one...

Is interesting to think how it will affect the market.

The main reason US supras are so expensive is purely because the demand is higher and the cars are fewer.

99% of the supras in the US are original US spec cars. They dont have the option to import them like we do so the price is driven up.

The other 1% are there either illegally or registered in one of the few states that allows them.. similar to the R34 GTR.

I have heard of people shipping '93 supras out there to people who dont register them and just lock them away awaiting 2018.