The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Car sat for a while, now won't start

Tsia

Hi all,

I've had the car sat for 2 months or so whilst deciding what to do with it. Took the battery out last night to charge it overnight, popped it back in this morning. I turned the key, started up perfectly. Rather than leaving it idling whilst I put the socket set away and moved the daily out of the way, I turned it off. I then went back to the car, started it up again, only for it to sound a bit 'weak' as if it was struggling to stay on. I tried giving it a few revs (only to 1800-2000 or so) only for it to cut out - and now it won't start at all! It cranks and I can hear it almost start from time to time, but for the most part it's just cranking.

I've got a Link ECU, so plugged in my laptop to see if anything was up with it, but I'm getting no error values whatsoever, so I'm assuming it's just from being sat in the cold for so long. Does anybody have any ideas?

Cheers

Maybe try the battery off your daily?

/QUOTE]

No can do, new work car (not sure they'd appreciate me popping the battery out!) It feels like the charge being given is solid, the cranking isn't weak at all. Just to eliminate it though, I may try dragging a friend's car over and 'jump starting' the Supra.

Sell they car

/QUOTE]

Sell who's car? :D

Anyway, popped out the fuse for the pump, it's absolutely fine. Turned the engine over again after putting it back in and got a small 'pop' from the exhaust. Taking the sparks out is a no-go at the moment, the heads of the screws holding the packs in are too soft for me to risk removing on the driveway - going to replace them once it's actually -at- a garage :(

I'm assuming from the pop that I must have some kind of spark somewhere, so I'm leaning towards a fuel supply problem at the moment.

Tried jump starting it, no luck there either so it seems it's not the battery. My mate said there was a really strong smell of petrol whenever I cranked it, but either I've lost my sense of smell or he just had his face too close to the exhaust for comfort. Rather than risk rounding off the ancient bolts holding the coil packs in, I'll get it towed to the local garage :)