The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Maybe the time has come to part ways

chilli

Hi,

It's possible I may have reached the point where my Supra and I have to separate.

I've had it some time, must be maybe 10-12 years now!

It's a Black MANUAL RZ-S TT with split-rims, nice body kit parts and various sensible mods. Full de-cat exhaust system (nice and sounds great). Also has various accessories like for example full RLTC and digi controller/launch control install and fully adjustable suspension, a carbon type competition clutch.

Not listed in Classifieds yet, but an early heads-up. In case of any ambiguity * THIS IS NOT AN ADVERT * - see classifieds when on sale.

Reason for sale, personal reason (essentially, may be moving).

Car is located in Sussex, England

Before I list it properly when I get a moment, thought I'd post a quick note. Not even worked out what the car might be worth yet.

All the best,

Louis

Edited by chilli (see edit history)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you do decide to sell now is a good time and probably a good deal better than leaving it till the post Christmas blues.

There are lots of people posting in the classifieds for wanted TT6's, including myself. Pity you're car is kitted and podded up otherwise I'd be hounding you to sell. Pricing will of course depend on mileage, condition and if its an all original matching numbers car. Prices now start at £15k for stock TT'6 and I have seen a couple of ads for lower mileage facelift TT6's near that via dealers but a good example could easily get well North of that on the right day of the week. For some the mods will add to the cars value, for others they will detract so that's always something that's hard to price effectively.

Edited by rider (see edit history)

If you do decide to sell now is a good time and probably a good deal better than leaving it till the post Christmas blues.

There are lots of people posting in the classifieds for wanted TT6's, including myself. Pity you're car is kitted and podded up otherwise I'd be hounding you to sell. Pricing will of course depend on mileage, condition and if its an all original matching numbers car. Prices now start at £15k for stock TT'6 and I have seen a couple of ads for lower mileage facelift TT6's near that via dealers but a good example could easily get well North of that on the right day of the week. For some the mods will add to the cars value, for others they will detract so that's always something that's hard to price effectively.

The kit perhaps is overstatement, it comprises what I think are TRD/OEM extras, side skirts and trim (on the roof and sides) and a Top Secret front. That's it really in terms of body changes.

A tt6 facelift in black os going to be worth in excess of £17500. Prices in Japan seem to have taken another drastic jump in the last few weeks, and the exchange rate is making it impossible to import once for under £20k now.

When the good weather starts next year expect another surge in prices here.

I think you got that the wrong way round. Face-lift low mileage cars go for more than £15k not the opposite !!

As Jason said definitely £17k for a decent face-lift TT Manual.

I would price it up for £16k minimum.

Actually realised my old signature has some of the 'spec' of it.

Black RZ-S TT (96) 6 speed manual, 18" 3 piece chrome WORK Equips, Stock spoiler, Top Secret front, Tein fully adjustable suspension, RLTC+Launch+Digi Adjuster, Competition Clutch, Double de-cat + Cat-back, Thor VFCD, Walbro GS342, Carbing strut brace, Induction kit , 3 A-pillar pod, Apexi boost gauge, AEM O2 gauge, Iridium plugs, Momo wheel and gearknob, sound system + bits.

Of course has UK MPH dash now.

Probably other improvements but that was the main stuff IIRC.

I'll probably list properly shortly. I'm not really sure the value, probably be a case of best offers above x, where x to be determined...

I have the original cats, the original air-box etc and some new trim that could either go with it as part of the deal we agreed (bits were intended for the car) or I'll sell off separately. Particularly the rear roof spoiler trim is brand-new boxed and was rare when I tried to get it originally. This is not a freebie, if interested we'll discuss it as part of a deal or separately.

Edited by chilli (see edit history)

All this talk of £16k+

Am I seriously missing something or is this a TT6 in stock condition with the only difference being it's prefacelift?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MKIV-TOYOTA-SUPRA-6-SPEED-MANUAL-TWIN-TURBO-IN-VGC-ONLY-71K-V160-2JZGTE-/192039412778?hash=item2cb670e42a:g:5c0AAOSwa~BYPEz8

This was £12,750 ONO, from Keron. Is a facelift version really 3-4k more expensive?

I spoke to this guy and he accepted £12,000 (then the buyer fell through).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1993-TOYOTA-SUPRA-TWIN-TURBO-SIX-SPEED-MANUAL-LAST-OWNER-14-YEAR-BLACK-/172411257570?hash=item28248302e2:g:nM4AAOSwiDFYLMQc

Where are you guys getting your pricing from? These are both black with the only difference being prefacelift. If a black facelift TT6 is now "£17,500" what the hell is a UK spec worth? £20,000?

I'd seriously love to be proved wrong and don't interpret this as confrontation but all I see is Supra owners inflating prices every other week. The value of these cars is imo the value they sell for. Find me a stock TT6 that's sold for £16k+ and I'll change my tune.

Edited by Wonga Spar (see edit history)

All this talk of £16k+

Am I seriously missing something or is this a TT6 in stock condition with the only difference being it's prefacelift?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MKIV-TOYOTA-SUPRA-6-SPEED-MANUAL-TWIN-TURBO-IN-VGC-ONLY-71K-V160-2JZGTE-/192039412778?hash=item2cb670e42a:g:5c0AAOSwa~BYPEz8

This was £12,750 ONO, from Keron. Is a facelift version really 3-4k more expensive?

I spoke to this guy and he accepted £11,000.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1993-TOYOTA-SUPRA-TWIN-TURBO-SIX-SPEED-MANUAL-LAST-OWNER-14-YEAR-BLACK-/172411257570?hash=item28248302e2:g:nM4AAOSwiDFYLMQc

Where are you guys getting your pricing from? These are both black with the only difference being prefacelift. If a black facelift TT6 is now "£17,500" what the hell is a UK spec worth? £20,000?

I'd seriously love to be proved wrong and don't interpret this as confrontation but all I see is Supra owners inflating prices every other week. The value of these cars is imo the value they sell for. Find me a stock TT6 that's sold for £16k+ and I'll change my tune.

I genuinely sold my UK single 3 times over at £26k so given there have been a few TT manuals selling for above £15k then surely there's the demand. Appreciate there will be better deals out there. A forum member was offered £26-27k for his TT manual, a genuine offer too.

Phil - 214 Supra on forum sold his facelift RSP TT6 for circa £ 19 k a couple of months back

This is my point. That car was exceptional and had clearly been loved and maintained to a superb standard. If that sells for £19,000 I think it's fair to say stock TT6 starting prices are most definitely not circa £16-17k.

Meh, there's very little data to really go on so I guess sellers can price however they want. I genuinely can't see it, personally. When M3's and RX-7's are £10,000 I just don't see it. This market makes so little sense to me.

Lovely car from the sounds of it Chilli, GLWS!

All this talk of £16k+

That car was an auto converted to a 6 speed, and it was a bit too cheap (notice how quickly it sold) Keron could have added another £2k to that and it would still have sold reasonably quickly, IMO. And all other things being equal, facelifts are more expensive than pre facelifts, as they come with the more desirable lights and the much nicer dash / gauge design (which can't be retrofitted).

I've been keeping an eye on the Supra market for circa 13 years now, and regularly check prices in the US, Japan, and Europe. In the US there are several stock TT6's in the $100k ballpark now, Europe and Japan just behind that with several being in the £40k - £50k range. The UK is the cheapest market in the world for Supras (and many other japanese cars), and will naturally be dragged up by the other markets.

Find me a stock TT6 that's sold for £16k+ and I'll change my tune.

Jurgen sold a j spec TT6 last year for circa £33k, and a friend of mine sold one this year for over £17k (was modified, but had it been 100% stock it would have probably been worth more). A forum member sold a tiptronic TT for £13,500 this year.

All this talk of £16k+

The keron one was a converted auto, ie the VIN would have shown it was an automatic from the factory. Is that a big deal? how does it effect the value not sure? It may or may not have had the proper large case rear diff done in the conversion which might matter to some.

The prices domestically have always tended to be a bit/lot lower than the Japanese market, as you get the natural depreciation here after the first, second owners etc and some get a little tatty, but there has been a recent hike in import prices, so if you really can't get a fresh import for less than 'X' any more then a domestic one will go up to 'X' less a bit (depending on the usual condition, originality etc)

I'm with you a bit on the prices seeming high and talked up, but I think the effects of a weak pound and them getting rarer and rarer is very real, we are now seeing higher asking prices and low sales volume in the UK (gone are the days of 20-30 Supra's on autotrader). In the past you could sell and chop, change and upgrade easily (I'm living proof!) now they are serious money buyers are either being very cautious or buying up the odd distressed sale at a reasonable price. It's helped by the fact that prices are solid to slightly rising (at least that's the general feeling), eg if you did sell a £12K manual tt now what will you have to pay to get one back in a few years? people will be thinking more carefully about selling and if you pop that money in the bank it gets you nothing so there is little incentive to get rid is there? (all other possible car replacements are similarly firming up as well).

If you combine this hike or perhaps the last 18-24 months with the aging and need for maintenance obviously never going down with age, buying a Supra is a far more serious/risky/expensive undertaking than it has been for quite some time, if not ever?

Some good answers there fellas, appreciated. Should be helpful to Chilli when he comes to selling.

Frankly I hope you're right, I just can't shake the thought that 2 years ago these were what, 7k? There are plenty of cars that drive much better for half the price you're quoting, outside the realms of collectors, showcars and high HP cars I just can't get my head around it. Either way, this is great news for me.

Either way, I like any-and-all conversation about values here as opinions/discussion is probably much better to go on than face-value ebay numbers. I'd like to hear from somebody who's actually paid £17k for a regular TT6 though.

"Stock" is a bit of a grey definition. Big difference between an immaculately maintained Supra (using OEM parts) and a Supra that's simply had nothing done to it.

Some good answers there fellas, appreciated. Should be helpful to Chilli when he comes to selling.

Frankly I hope you're right, I just can't shake the thought that 2 years ago these were what, 7k? There are plenty of cars that drive much better for half the price you're quoting, outside the realms of collectors, showcars and high HP cars I just can't get my head around it. Either way, this is great news for me.

Either way, I like any-and-all conversation about values here as opinions/discussion is probably much better to go on than face-value ebay numbers. I'd like to hear from somebody who's actually paid £17k for a regular TT6 though.

Like? and look as good? Why did you buy one?

if you did sell a £12K manual tt now what will you have to pay to get one back in a few years? people will be thinking more carefully about selling and if you pop that money in the bank it gets you nothing so there is little incentive to get rid is there? (all other possible car replacements are similarly firming up as well).

I was asked this question a good many times at the NEC Classic show by both people who are actively looking for a supra and others, just out of interest. I've been following Supra prices for 20 years and I have a shed load of classic cars so I think I have some idea what is marketable and desirable in the classics World. I was telling anyone who asked that I expect my matching numbers, never been re-sprayed 040 white TT6 will be worth £45k within seven to ten years. And that the Supra, being one amongst a very few cars that have established cult film status over the last 50 years the Mk4 Supra is guaranteed immortality as an icon. Meaning that for museum piece low mileage, mint, stock cars there literally is no limit on Supra values which will naturally drag all the dog eared Mk4 Supra values up.

However, classic value is firmly tied to originality so the most expensive Supra will never be a 1000hp rocket with lots of bolt on plastic and Kevlar. it'll be one of your 325bhp as it rolled out of the factory TT6's.

I just can't shake the thought that 2 years ago these were what, 7k?

Even at their lowest, pre facelift tt6's were around £8k, although I know a few members got bargains even then. But that was over 5 years ago now. 2 years ago they were still in excess of £10k. (Generally) as said in another thread, this isn t a supra specific phenomenon, all the cult Japanese 90s sports cars, the halo models at least, have done the same thing. You could pick up a 22b 5 years ago for £25k, now Theyre breaching £60k on average. R32 GTR gone up around 50% in 2 years, RX7 around the same (Spirit R Type A have doubled in 5 years).

Even at their lowest, pre facelift tt6's were around £8k, although I know a few members got bargains even then. But that was over 5 years ago now. 2 years ago they were still in excess of £10k. (Generally) as said in another thread, this isn t a supra specific phenomenon, all the cult Japanese 90s sports cars, the halo models at least, have done the same thing. You could pick up a 22b 5 years ago for £25k, now Theyre breaching £60k on average. R32 GTR gone up around 50% in 2 years, RX7 around the same (Spirit R Type A have doubled in 5 years).

Agreed, I got my two manual TT6's in the £8K's but was VERY lucky both times even back then, UK in 2001 £8,250!

and in 2009 this facelift http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?187201-Supra-number-six&highlight=facelift for £8,500 (advertised on autotrader as a 5 speed, but I saw the stock traction control button and lift ring on the gearstick screaming 6 speed).

Ah the good olds days! but again I worked hard for these and they were very cheap for their time (considering their spec and condition).