The mkiv Supra Owners Club

White Smoke When Cold

a98pmalcolm

Its normal for oil to seep past the valve seals on 20 year old Supras and give a white puff on start up. You can buy all the seals and gaskets using the following parts list.

90913-02088 Valve Seals X12

90913-02123 SEAL VALVE STEM OIL X12

90311-40020 Camshaft Seal X2

90105-06166 BOLT WASHER BASED H X12

90080-17190 Instrument Panel Nut X4

90210-07001 WASHER SEAL X16

11213-46020 Valve Cover Gasket X1

11214-46011 Valve Cover Gasket X1

All parts are still OE available - I bought a set last month ready to do my own car sometime when it needs doing while they remain OE available. Its a job that is a when rather than if.

Its normal for oil to seep past the valve seals on 20 year old Supras and give a white puff on start up. You can buy all the seals and gaskets using the following parts list.

90913-02088 Valve Seals X12

90913-02123 SEAL VALVE STEM OIL X12

90311-40020 Camshaft Seal X2

90105-06166 BOLT WASHER BASED H X12

90080-17190 Instrument Panel Nut X4

90210-07001 WASHER SEAL X16

11213-46020 Valve Cover Gasket X1

11214-46011 Valve Cover Gasket X1

All parts are still OE available - I bought a set last month ready to do my own car sometime when it needs doing while they remain OE available. Its a job that is a when rather than if.

What did that lot set you back if I may be so bold as to ask?

Yep its pretty norm when the air temp drops and just like when you breath out in cold air :) the white smoke

as you call it last a while too, much longer than valve stem seals leaking unless they're totally shot

Valve stems leaking are more a blue/grey colour and when they first start to go only lasts a few seconds

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

What did that lot set you back if I may be so bold as to ask?

US$225 ex USA. Can't give a freight and duty breakdown as I ordered a lot of rubber strips and seals at the same time figuring it'll be hard if not impossible to get these perishables in a decade or so time.

Could well be just condensation, but if your smelling oil it could also be turbo seals, as these will be apparent on start up and idle as there is a large vacuum in exhaust during idle, look out for smoke haze when coming off throttle after boost.

Brand new turbo. But I have my inlet and exhaust breathers going into a catch tank of which then goes into the air intake for the turbo.

Pretty normal dude, mine has white smoke on cold start until it warms up. The oil smell could be oil seeping past the piston rings whilst cold, then when it's warm they've expanded a bit and stopped seeping, but could also be stem seals as others suggested. But nothing to worry yourself about :)

Edited by JackyBoi (see edit history)