The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Engine longevity....?????

kevo

Guys...I have done a search...And,This did`nt really bring up my questions answer....

Just speaking to the engine remanufacturer,That has been doing things for me for around 25Years....And,In the conversation,I mentioned..I was Currently seeking out a TT Supra,I asked how hard these engines were..(Becouse,I have been told thay are bomb proof)...And,Was ....Alarmed to his reply..Of having to re-build 2 with 90,000 miles on them....To this i must admit...I was rather shocked...Becouse every other reply i had got previous to this was ..Milage= No need to ask on a Supra engine....

I was just wondering,If these were isolated events..That had taken place....Or is this the lifespan of the TT Engine....????

I do appreciate..Its all down to how the vehicles been looked after/Serviced /Treated..eta.....Any advice would be brilliant....

Thank You...Kev.

I think you summed it up in your last sentence. Like anything else mechanical it will depend on how they have been treated. If the Supra engine had a lifespan of only 90,000 miles it would be well known on here.

General opinion is that even in modded form they will run and run. You might have to make up your own servicing schedule if you get seriously into modding, though.

personally from seeing threads on here over the past year or so, i would say the engines are good but as soon as you tamper with them, reliability goes down the pan. things like turbo's, clutches etc have a tendency to go quite quickly once the boost is turned up a little.

i think you need to ask people who have done bpu (exhaust, induction, decat and ebc) to their cars and see what they had to replace over the course of the year after doing those.

personally from seeing threads on here over the past year or so, i would say the engines are good but as soon as you tamper with them, reliability goes down the pan. things like turbo's, clutches etc have a tendency to go quite quickly once the boost is turned up a little.

Turbo wise its usually crappy ceramic turbos which are being overboosted or max'd out by people trying to tune the nuts off them and aftermarket hybrids in the main.

Like as been said before, its just lack of sorted fuelling and people just running to lean, pushing too high boost which has caused problems.

I browse the tech forums a lot and cant recall any major engine failures other than Leons well known ones and Steve W's from ages back where he was running too lean iirc.

Turbo wise its usually crappy ceramic turbos which are being overboosted or max'd out by people trying to tune the nuts off them and aftermarket hybrids in the main.

Like as been said before, its just lack of sorted fuelling and people just running to lean, pushing too high boost which has caused problems.

I browse the tech forums a lot and cant recall any major engine failures other than Leons well known ones and Steve W's from ages back where he was running too lean iirc.

Thank You Bobbeh....I thought it rather strange.....Everyone,has nothing but praise on the Supra`s engine strength....Thank You...Kev.

I belive there is a UK supe with 240K miles - all is fine. I think CW services it - I could be wrong.

It is well over 300,000 miles as coiuple of years ago, with only pumps and belts changed, the engine has never had the head taken off. A daily driver on fairly longs runs AFAIK.

Unfotyunately there are some dogs out there, with very poor service records andbad abuse.No cool down period for the turbos will play havoc with the engine in the long run.

With my last car Toyota MR2 Turbo, I had the boost turned up on her way over standard..

All other stuff was standard except Exhaust, Air filter, BOV.

Had it for 3 years. Not a single problem. In the end, damn sharp bend bent the chassis. = Write Off.

I think the Toyota engines are all built to a high standard and withstand a good battering.