The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Does anyone else have days where they want to sell their Supra...

gordy.r

I'm having lots of days recently where I am tempted with sticking the old girl on the market.

It's probably because I am not driving her much now the wet and cold weather has set in, and it's also because when I do take her out on a wet day I see the likes of RS3's and A45 AMG's making good pace and I cannot compete in the Supra.

There's also the fact its running about as much horsepower as I'll get out the stock twins without going hybrid, syvecs, big single etc which all in is quite a costly expense when I could just sell and then put the money towards something like an M4 or A45 AMG etc.

The problem I have there's not much out there that visually takes my fancy and hold my attention as much as the Supra does, and I do fall back in love with it every time I get in and drive it.

Suppose it's just the winter blues taking hold and I'll probably end up keep hold of her....unless a nice 911 Turbo comes along and sweeps me off my feet ;)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you've got the money to afford either of those cars, IMO spend the money on the supra going single/built auto/manual and you won't have to worry about getting embarassed by anything else :)

I get notions of selling my car nearly every day, but realistically nothing else comes close for the money I've spent on the car/put into the car. Also, they're still a very rare sight on the road and have much more presence than most other modern cars that people wouldn't bat an eyelid at.

If you've got the money to afford either of those cars, IMO spend the money on the supra going single/built auto/manual and you won't have to worry about getting embarassed by anything else :)

I get notions of selling my car nearly every day, but realistically nothing else comes close for the money I've spent on the car/put into the car. Also, they're still a very rare sight on the road and have much more presence than most other modern cars that people wouldn't bat an eyelid at.

I thought more about selling mine now after a weekend at the NEC Classic Car Show! I love my car and the setup is awesome but there's plenty of other stuff that takes my fancy out there and I am thinking about biting the bullet and selling.

I'll hold off until Spring though, suggest you do the same mate and see if the love comes back.

I think it's stronger in those that, crave power or don't like getting blown off by anything 'normal' looking. Lot's of Supra's are starting to need serious money spending on them (paint or suspension refreshes) at a time when the selling prices have strengthened and the amount of newer cars that can fill the power/pace has increased (few affordable options in the past). It's kind of the perfect storm for selling really but are the buyers out there at the new asking prices? There are always a few but for example Ian C's car took a lot longer to sell than I thought it would.

I'm currently quite happy keeping the old girl(s) going as I can't think of a nice enough replacement for me.

had the same thought last year ,as i just dont use it anymore , did all the fluid changes , fancy a cayman but then realised the early models are crap engine wise to many potential fails. and then this year i think the value has started to go up , so if thats the case ill keep it , its garaged 100% so its not going to suffer any weather issues .

I never feel like selling! Even in the cold wet the Pilot Super Sports grip so well, enough to embarrass all types of cars. Maybe you need to switch up your setup

I'm running Goodyear Eagle F1 asymetric 2's all round on quite a wide and aggressive set up, and there is no way I can put the power down in the wet like something with less power i.e. like an S3. On a twisty road I'll spin up the rears and on a motorway I'd spin up in 2nd and 3rd trying to get grip. In the dry it's a different story though I can still light the rears up on a sharp corner in low gears...and I own an auto lol

I'm running Goodyear Eagle F1 asymetric 2's all round on quite a wide and aggressive set up, and there is no way I can put the power down in the wet like something with less power i.e. like an S3. On a twisty road I'll spin up the rears and on a motorway I'd spin up in 2nd and 3rd trying to get grip. In the dry it's a different story though I can still light the rears up on a sharp corner in low gears...and I own an auto lol

Fitting 40 profile tyres would reduce your traction issues.

you need some R888's Gordy :hide:

I'm still in 2 minds about selling up on mine,

She needs some TLC to bring her back up to par, even with the manual conversion and everything else I have fitted parts wise, I cant see my 'to do' list getting done anytime soon...

Currently wanting a 350z, something I havent gotta do much to....

Really want something comfy I can go drifting in, i dont wanna ruin the Supra, and given the fact that W58 boxes are made of glass, I couldnt see it lasting too long with drift abuse....

Edited by Richie_k83 (see edit history)

I'm still in 2 minds about selling up on mine,

She needs some TLC to bring her back up to par, even with the manual conversion and everything else I have fitted parts wise, I cant see my 'to do' list getting done anytime soon...

Currently wanting a 350z, something I havent gotta do much to....

Really want something comfy I can go drifting in, i dont wanna ruin the Supra, and given the fact that W58 boxes are made of glass, I couldnt see it lasting too long with drift abuse....

Finish your project dude. It'll be different than anything else and sound insane! It'll be worth it whenever it's done.

IMO 350z's look very dated and are pretty gutless for what they are, I don't rate them. Albeit probably cheap fun to skid!

A friend of mine has an NA5 MK4 Supra and has competed in the Northern Ireland drift series for ages giving it absolute dogs abuse and the W58 has held up just fine with a standard clutch and many clutch kicks at OEM power! So it seems they can definitely take the abuse at the power they were designed to take? As long as you have an OEM/Sprung clutch I think it should be grand?

Finish your project dude. It'll be different than anything else and sound insane! It'll be worth it whenever it's done.

IMO 350z's look very dated and are pretty gutless for what they are, I don't rate them. Albeit probably cheap fun to skid!

A friend of mine has an NA5 MK4 Supra and has competed in the Northern Ireland drift series for ages giving it absolute dogs abuse and the W58 has held up just fine with a standard clutch and many clutch kicks at OEM power! So it seems they can definitely take the abuse at the power they were designed to take? As long as you have an OEM/Sprung clutch I think it should be grand?

I guess your right, i do still like the 350z, maybe i'm just getting bored and need to just get out there and use it for what i intended lol.

Good to know on the gearbox mind, i dont think i will be clutch kicking it though, i have some mechanical sympathy so much prefer power over or using the weight transition to make her slide lol

Diff is an AO1B, both that and the AO2A that was in up until a few months ago did very little to assist with the traction issues.

I think it's just a matter of 400+ bhp through the rear wheels is never going to bode well in the wet I'd presume.

I have an A01B, 285 40's on 18's" and 400 bhp, without traction control or ABS yet don't have loss of traction unless desired, it may be because mine doesn't have turbo lag & lurch which makes power delivery more controllable?

Excuse the OT.