The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Misting Headlights inevitable?

a98pmalcolm

Hey all, I bought some brand new facelift headlights from toyota.

I used silicone sealant around the bulb fittings once I fitted the bulbs to ensure a nice seal

But on those really wet humid days I get lift misting around the bottom of the headlights.

So is it inevitable they will mist up or is there an issue with mine?

I swapped my lights some years back now to brand new uk glass head lamps and have never had any problems. I didn't seal mine like yours with silicone but that also may be the cause, unless you can guarantee there is no moisture in the air when fitting the bulbs you may have inivertantly trapped moisture within the lamp hence causing the droplets on the inside of the glass.

I may be wrong but I have not heard of using silicone to seal the bulbs in as its pretty well splash proof behind there anyway. Only my thoughts!

Why did you seal up the bulbs? there are open vents (i think 2 or 3) per headlight they have a rubber vent and some sponge inside to act as a filter. so sealing up the bulbs would have done nothing.

You could perhaps check that those are still there and the filter is in place. Ventilation is key, sealing things up causes condensation.

Mine were fine over summer, come the cold nights when i drive they mist up, during the morning they go normal again. Its common and i accept it. For me it happens when its so cold outside but the lights are on, warm inside. Once you understand the science, you realize there is no winning :D

Thanks for the reply's guys

The vents wont be blocked there a few weeks old. The reason I used silicone sealant on the bulb holders is because the HID o-rings don't make quite as good seal as the OEM bulb holder o-rings and another member told me that it helped prevent misting of his lights.

I never reseal the lights or anything. Just in the gaps after the bulbs have been fitted

Edited by a98pmalcolm (see edit history)

I had this issue for ages and kept returning the lights to Toyota. Found out eventually that the HID kit fitted in Japan left the backs off the headlight bulbs where they should have wired through the back and sealed the hole where the HID wires went through. With standard bulbs there wouldn't have been an issue.

On the drivers side the drains for the bonnet run directly into the back of the light and that could be how the water is getting in.

Could do with some pics of the rear of your light as mine wasn't obvious until I studied another members set up. My back of light fittings were wrapped up in some insultation tape near the loom they had just tapped off them and left the headlight back pretty much open.

H.

I had this issue for ages and kept returning the lights to Toyota. Found out eventually that the HID kit fitted in Japan left the backs off the headlight bulbs where they should have wired through the back and sealed the hole where the HID wires went through. With standard bulbs there wouldn't have been an issue.

On the drivers side the drains for the bonnet run directly into the back of the light and that could be how the water is getting in.

Could do with some pics of the rear of your light as mine wasn't obvious until I studied another members set up. My back of light fittings were wrapped up in some insultation tape near the loom they had just tapped off them and left the headlight back pretty much open.

H.

Thanks for the reply Harvard. Will get some pics later

I have HID's too , they do not exactly seal as opposed to an OEM bulb but I never had any issues with condensation until the vent with the rubber unit / sponge inside fell off , I put it back in situ , no issues

Must of fell off when I was messing with the bulbs , was sitting between the headlight and airbox

Had a brand new Facelift set in June and fitted them with no sealant. The first time I washed them they misted up... Needless to say i was a bit gutted :(

Since then I try to wash the car when the humidity is quite low to minimize any issues, and so far its worked... I did add some sealant on the back of the lights fittings as it just seemed logical (to stop any water splashing in)..

I assumed there would always be moisture in the lens due to their free flowing design, and when you wash them with cold water it was going to draw the water to the inside of the lens (just like condensation in a house).. but i'm obviously not an expert!!!

My fear is that eventually the misting will get worse and start leaving water marks on the inside :(

Had a brand new Facelift set in June and fitted them with no sealant. The first time I washed them they misted up... Needless to say i was a bit gutted :(

Since then I try to wash the car when the humidity is quite low to minimize any issues, and so far its worked... I did add some sealant on the back of the lights fittings as it just seemed logical (to stop any water splashing in)..

I assumed there would always be moisture in the lens due to their free flowing design, and when you wash them with cold water it was going to draw the water to the inside of the lens (just like condensation in a house).. but i'm obviously not an expert!!!

My fear is that eventually the misting will get worse and start leaving water marks on the inside :(

God mine arnt that bad..

I also made sure of a good tight fit with the fog light bulb cover.

I have made my local Toyota aware of the situation and he said keep an eye on it and if it keeps happening he will exchange it. I will get a pic later of the back..

God mine arnt that bad..

I also made sure of a good tight fit with the fog light bulb cover.

I have made my local Toyota aware of the situation and he said keep an eye on it and if it keeps happening he will exchange it. I will get a pic later of the back..

I should add the misting was very minor and cleared very quickly. Ive had them since June and it just happened a few times so it's really not a big deal. Oddly it seemed to happen on the passenger side only. If it rains heavily there is never misting..

Lesson to learn, is seal the hell out of all leak pathes on the lights in ANY location and ensure filters are clear of blockages, intact and can vent correctly.

Seems to be the message I'm seeing here.

Sealing bulbs is something I do. Paranoid or not, my lights don't leak.

• 1 year later...