The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is it worth it?

nicky

Hi guys/girls,

I'm after a 6 speed single turbo supra but it's seeming near enough impossible for my price budget (18k)

I've seen the tiptronic flappy paddle conversions, but my question is what would the costs of a single turbo conversion be, including everything aside from standard bpu mods (intercooler, exhaust, decats etc)

Hi and welcome to the forum.

You may get a single that needs some work for that price but beware of cheap parts and the installation not done correctly. Could be an expensive fix if its not done right. A good TT6 is well within your budget but to get a stock car singled you should budget £10k at least.

At least £10k realistically, if you intend on using decent parts. I shopped around, got deals etc and still probably spent the best part of £15k.

Whether it's worth it or not depends on how much you like Supras :) it would certainly be cheaper to buy one that's already been built though.

I do standard auto box is out of the question for me, never liked standard autos so it's either manual or flappy paddle but I spoke to the guy at whifbitz and he said that with the flappy paddle he doesn't think it's worth it, so by sounds of it it's back to the hunt of single turbo manual

I do standard auto box is out of the question for me, never liked standard autos so it's either manual or flappy paddle but I spoke to the guy at whifbitz and he said that with the flappy paddle he doesn't think it's worth it, so by sounds of it it's back to the hunt of single turbo manual

Mine is a properly sorted uprated auto that has the syvecs flappy paddle option so you can manually change gear. Why don't you come along to our December Bluewater meet and you will see various types of modded Supra's and as Swampy said don't discount the auto without trying it

It really depends on which way you want to tackle it. Best option is to buy a TT6, get used to it whilst saving for the conversion, then single turbo it knowing exactly what parts are being used and that it's being done properly - but that's also an expensive option at around 30k all-in.

Second best option would be to save your 18k until you've got just over 22k to play with, then start hunting for a spec similar to this:

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/toyota/supra/1998-toyota-supra-rz-s-600ps-t78-single-turbo-manual-6-speed-in-stunning-condition/6385086

Cheaper than 30k, so you've got lots of 'change' if you will to play around with the car and make it how you want. Built not bought comes to mind ;)

Or the last and cheapest option would be to buy a cheap Supra, probably n/a auto, then look at doing either a single turbo and manual conversion (transmission doesn't necessarily have to be a V160/161) or a 2JZ-GTE swap and again a manual conversion. But that's a lot of arsing around and will probably cost more in the long-run if the chassis is shit, so I don't think this is a good route to take. Just save for a pre-built single and modify it to your taste, or buy a TT6 and take your time with the single turbo :)

I see figures of 10k/15k being thrown about for single turbo builds and I really don't see how people are spending that much on average? Is that including labour etc or just parts? I've never converted a car myself and mine is only BPU but I'm just curious if someone could give a breakdown of cost of whats involved? Surely there's someone on here that has spent less and still has a quality build if they've taken their time garthering parts whenever bargains have came up.

From rough estimates/calculations in my head here's what I think is necessary and rough costs.

Turbo - £850 (e.g. Borg Warner S366)

Manifold - £1000 (New 6Boost/2nd hand Whifbitz)

Wastegate - £300 (40mm Turbosmart etc)

Injectors - £500 (set of 2nd hand ASNU 1100cc for sale on here at the minute)

Downpipe - £100 (2nd hand for example and get it modified to fit your particular setup)

Air filter - £50

Standalone ECU - £1600 (including fitting and mapping, based on my local prices with a LINK G4+)

I've obviously missed out some miscellaneous parts but say add on another £600 for them and that's £5k, then labour whatever that may be.

If you were smart about it and weren't in a rush there are often 2nd hand good condition turbo kits up for sale, 2nd hand standalone ECU's etc etc. Even using a good quality cast log manifold could save you a few hundred, albeit limit your power goals.

I know it's easily possible to go way beyond 10k using more expensive items like Garrett GTX/Precision Gen2 turbos, brand new Whifbitz/SRD manifolds, Syvecs ECU etc. But, realistically it SHOULD be very much possible to go single with quality items and not spend that much? Is there anything I've missed?

I'm not one for corners myself, always do things right. Even whenever converting my car to manual there I bought everything brand new including master cylinder, slave cylinder, gearbox seals (input/output shaft), shifter bushings, flywheel bolts, pressure plate bolts, gearbox bolts, bellhousing bolts, braided lines, clutch pedal etc and didn't cut any corners. So don't get the impression I'm someone that is a cheap skate! lol

TL;DR version

10/15k may be the average to spend using the best of parts but realistically you should be able to single a car for less?

Edited by ashloys (see edit history)

I see figures of 10k/15k being thrown about for single turbo builds and I really don't see how people are spending that much on average? Is that including labour etc or just parts? I've never converted a car myself and mine is only BPU but I'm just curious if someone could give a breakdown of cost of whats involved? Surely there's someone on here that has spent less and still has a quality build if they've taken their time garthering parts whenever bargains have came up.

From rough estimates/calculations in my head here's what I think is necessary and rough costs.

10/15k may be the average to spend using the best of parts but realistically you should be able to single a car for less?

ASNU injectors don't fit the stock fuel rail IIRC, so there's a rail, lines, FPR etc too. Plus oil lines (water too if DBB), sensors, gaskets etc. uprated clutch on a manual, uprated coolers on an auto etc. Plus, there's always other things that need doing (my crank pulley was shot for example), and the labour bill is a few £k. It adds up very quickly. I would also say an aftermarket LSD is a must.

Edited by j_jza80 (see edit history)

ASNU injectors don't fit the stock fuel rail IIRC, so there's a rail, lines, FPR etc too. Plus oil lines (water too if DBB), sensors, gaskets etc. uprated clutch on a manual, uprated coolers on an auto etc. Plus, there's always other things that need doing (my crank pulley was shot for example), and the labour bill is a few £k. It adds up very quickly. I would also say an aftermarket LSD is a must.

Fair enough, although even with a LINK G4+ you can get away with just a 3bar MAP sensor? That's very true about the injectors, forgot about that! But you could still even use UK Spec 550's if you were going for a small 500bhp single build for example?

Near fell off my seat whenever I was getting a price off Toyota last week for OEM exhaust manifold gaskets, ended up getting them from TCB which were brilliant and much cheaper! So I can see where it all adds up with gaskets/oil and water lines etc. My engine was only rebuilt/forged a couple of thousand miles ago before I bought it so I should be good if I were to ever to single (I hope!).

Also Bijal at Future Motorsports is developing a FULL turbo kit for around £2k including a precision 6266 (I think), log manifold, downpipe that bolts onto your standard exhaust system/1st decat etc and says it'll be a perfect fit/bolton kit. I saw him mention it the other day and says it should be finished shortly.

I drove a tt6 but it wasn't really powerful enough for me, and it wasn't what I portray a supra to be like so it's pretty much the only way To go for me

I remember when I test drove my first stock TT6, I was not that impressed ... It did not feel much faster then my MR2 at the time which was decated and boost raised.. I thought they would be a little more quicker but still enjoyed the drive of it

Then I went BPU which is cheap to do compared to going single and that made a huge difference !

Edited by mplavery (see edit history)

Turbo - £850 (e.g. Borg Warner S366)

Manifold - £1000 (New 6Boost/2nd hand Whifbitz)

Wastegate - £300 (40mm Turbosmart etc)

Injectors - £500 (set of 2nd hand ASNU 1100cc for sale on here at the minute)

Downpipe - £100 (2nd hand for example and get it modified to fit your particular setup)

Air filter - £50

Standalone ECU - £1600 (including fitting and mapping, based on my local prices with a LINK G4+)

I've obviously missed out some miscellaneous parts but say add on another £600 for them and that's £5k, then labour whatever that may be.

If you were smart about it and weren't in a rush there are often 2nd hand good condition turbo kits up for sale, 2nd hand standalone ECU's etc etc. Even using a good quality cast log manifold could save you a few hundred, albeit limit your power goals.

I know it's easily possible to go way beyond 10k using more expensive items like Garrett GTX/Precision Gen2 turbos, brand new Whifbitz/SRD manifolds, Syvecs ECU etc. But, realistically it SHOULD be very much possible to go single with quality items and not spend that much? Is there anything I've missed?

I'm not one for corners myself, always do things right. Even whenever converting my car to manual there I bought everything brand new including master cylinder, slave cylinder, gearbox seals (input/output shaft), shifter bushings, flywheel bolts, pressure plate bolts, gearbox bolts, bellhousing bolts, braided lines, clutch pedal etc and didn't cut any corners. So don't get the impression I'm someone that is a cheap skate! lol

TL;DR version

My clutch was £3k alone. :lol:

Depends on the extent to which you go, which parts you are buying, new vs used, paying for labour vs DIY etc. I can see it hitting £10k before labour very easily with all things considered. Even things like potentially needing stickier tyres may need to be considered depending on what is currently in use. :)