The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Where's r888 Gone ?

Supraleeturbo

I have bought R888's a month ago from my local tyre fitters im sure there not the R888-R's

Might be worth checking the dates on them, there is likely plenty of stock still with suppliers.

The R888R has a different tread pattern so should be easily identifiable.

Why I'm still on r888 Tyres what's changed in the regulations?

Its the way they displace water, the older design no longer satisfies standard road regulations.

The new design has a water channel whereas the older type does not.

Not to say that the older R888's that are already on your car are no longer road legal, its just that Toyo cannot make new tyres of the older design for road use because the old design is no longer are in compliance with the road regulations.

I do believe that if you have older R888 tyres and they are road marked (E marked) and are "in date" according to the labeling on the tyre then you will be ok, however you may want to check with Toyo.

Toyo decided to change the design for a road legal trackday tyre and called it the R888R (R being road legal)

Edited by ManwithSupra (see edit history)

So does this just mean we can't by that model, or we'd get into trouble legally if using them on the road on an existing set for example?

When I was speaking with a Toyo representative last year about it, I was told that they have succeeded the R888 with the R888R so will no longer be making the R888 (or if they do they wont have the various markings on them to show they are road legal)

If shops still have stock of the R888 because they purchased them when they were still road legal (They have an E mark and cert number on them) and they are in date (DOT marking on the sidewall) then I would imagine its ok, but to be sure call Toyo about it.

When I was speaking with a Toyo representative last year about it, I was told that they have succeeded the R888 with the R888R so will no longer be making the R888 (or if they do they wont have the various markings on them to show they are road legal)

If shops still have stock of the R888 because they purchased them when they were still road legal (They have an E mark and cert number on them) and they are in date (DOT marking on the sidewall) then I would imagine its ok.

I heard that people prefer the R888 to the R888-r's .. cant remember why though.. sure there was a thread on here about them but could of been another forum

Nankang AR-1

My mate has started using these on his race car over the previous r888 he has used for years, he has rated them as phenomenal grip levels and says they feel better than the r888

I too have heard good things about the Nankangs... yet to use them though.

I wonder how stiff the sidewalls are compared to R888's and how well they stand up to heat cycles.

Funny I keep getting emails from Nankang to hold some stock of their tyres.

I wonder how stiff the sidewalls are compared to R888's and how well they stand up to heat cycles.

That was my main gripe with the R888, three decent heat cycles and there shot, its OK for teams with funding but for amateur racers it gets costly quickly :(

Funny I keep getting emails from Nankang to hold some stock of their tyres.

Take a set to trial and then decide ;)