The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My First Supra - Red Mkiv N/a Auto

jonny mac

Hello! My First Supra :D

just going to keep this thread updated with how i get on with the car, i'd looked around for a long time for the 'right' one

jdm import, active aero lip, oem plastic skirts and spats, gold toyota badges, all oem unmolested (even a stainless steel rep stock exhaust)

so here it is after a bath

needs alot of paint work as the top coat has peeled in areas

also has some sort of aftermarket wheels on it

eeeeeeek

image1 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

underneath is good, few scrapes from coming off the truck as it wasn't a long bed, easily sorted with some fresh underseal

also the front brake pipes are great condition too which is a boost

first night in, changed the oil and a new toyota oil filter on

image2 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image3 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image4 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image5 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

bought these from toyota to put on after it's painted

image6 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

the brakes were in a mess on the car, so i've changed 3 calipers, thank you very much james dron for the calipers :)

also bought new toyota discs and pads

image7 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

got them on, new brakes all bled and the new coat of underseal on the chassis

a very rough quick coat of black paint, please excuse that as it'll be tidied up on the second coat and around the hub on the disc

image8 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

unfortunately one of the bleed nipples on james's calipers had a leaked under pressure during the mot, so

I've since rebuilt an old caliper that came off the car and put that back on now so it's due to be retested tomorrow

image10 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

the car had a little almost missfire / stutter on idle so i'd replaced the plugs too

image11 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

as for now, i'm waiting for the mot retest to be done and then it's off to the bodyshop for some repainting, potential full respray just in the factory colour though!

also i've got a 1jz gte/w58 manual box i pulled out my mates soarer a while ago when i sold him my engine setup from another car

Edited by jonny mac (see edit history)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice Jonny :cool: although a member since 2007 and this is your first one? That's a looong time looking around for one lol :D health to drive - I think the wheels might be SSR integrals - maybe not the most 'fashionable' at the minute, but if that's what they are they're very well built and very light.

Very nice Jonny :cool: although a member since 2007 and this is your first one? That's a looong time looking around for one lol :D health to drive - I think the wheels might be SSR integrals - maybe not the most 'fashionable' at the minute, but if that's what they are they're very well built and very light.

They are Advan AVS VS-5's, I used to have a set on mine. They are entry level wheels in Japan, but they are rare in the UK due to limited supply.

Looks like a nice supra dude, how is the underside?

thanks for the replies guys :D

I really am over the moon with the car and can't wait to start a journey with it! (no pun intended)

They are Advan AVS VS-5's, I used to have a set on mine. They are entry level wheels in Japan, but they are rare in the UK due to limited supply.

Looks like a nice supra dude, how is the underside?

they worth anything? I was thinking on changing, they're 235 tyres up front and 255 on the rear so should be quite good rim widths

the underneath is still in fair nick for an old car, it's got no holes which is a good thing haha, it was all still mainly black from the original underseal when it first came into the uk so I don't have much to worry about,

sometime in the future I plan to refresh the underside like I've done to my silvia which was a full nut and bolt drama, not as extreme as that but I'd like to powdercoat things like subframes and diff casings etc to keep it looking fresh

the car only has 139 thousand kilometres on it which isn't a huge mileage for a 94 model.

more pics to come later once I get them off the phone :D

mot passed the other day :D

not using it on the road until next year however as it's not the right weather to take it out, plus that'll give me time to swap parts and paint it without any hurry

manual conversion parts started arriving from Toyota, I'm skint now haha

image13 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image14 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

manual trans tunnel (I do things properly) also with a bag of clutch pedal bushings etc

image15 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

just waiting on the rest of the pedal assembly arriving from Toyota

i'll likely just buy a length of braided Teflon lined hose and make my own clutch pipe up as it'll be better than standard

Looking good, can't wait to see this with the 1J in it. Are you just sticking with the stock twins or going nuts with a 5858? :D

Driftmotion are good for manual conversion parts too, I got all of my OEM nuts/bolts/input and output shaft seals/arp bolts from there and full length 1 piece braided clutch line etc. All very well priced.

Looking good, can't wait to see this with the 1J in it. Are you just sticking with the stock twins or going nuts with a 5858? :D

Driftmotion are good for manual conversion parts too, I got all of my OEM nuts/bolts/input and output shaft seals/arp bolts from there and full length 1 piece braided clutch line etc. All very well priced.

ive provisionally sold the 1j I have now in the last few days :D haha

decided on a 2j vvti tt engine! found one from an aristo and figured, i'll have to do the water pump and timing belt regardless so the difference there won't bother me,

the loom's are not going to plug and play even if I got a 2j vvti supra loom so an aristo loom will work with providing power to b+ wires etc,

the w58 won't last though that's the only thing

• 2 weeks later...

little update,

the car is now at the bodyshop having a full respray so it'll look immaculate

I stripped almost everything off

when it arrived at the bodyshop I took off the ariel, rear wiper, spoiler, anything else that would have kept it water tight until then

rear spats are not going back on

image16 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

bumpers held on with tie wraps, skirts off too

image17 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

back on a truck to get moved over to the bodyshop

image18 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

spent a full day and a half prepping the car for paint, had the rear wiper hole and rear ariel hole blanked off too, i'll just run a signal booster in the boot for that

also during all this, I'd split the lights and painted the insides satin black

image19 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image20 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image21 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

stevie the painter had an idea to rub down the lenses again and clear coat them with uv protection special stuff, looks amazing now :D

image23 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

due to the old paint condition, it took a fair amount of rubbing down the car, this means it has now had a coat of high build primer to be sanded back again before paint

image24 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

• 4 weeks later...

last parts of the clutch pedal assembly arrived :)

image25 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

also my manual surround showed up from toyota

image29 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

stripped the box front end and resealed the bearing sleeve as it had a little leak

image26 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image27 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

also cleaned up the flywheel, going to try get someone to skim this for me

image28 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

more importantly :) :) :) :)

been a few weeks gone by and made some good progress on the car

image32 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image34 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image33 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image35 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image37 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image38 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image40 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

there's something about box fresh rear facelift lights, certainly look good against fresh paint

had them lay in place for the pic, not bolted on yet as there was still polishing to do around them

image30 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image31 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

going back up to put more stuff on the car next week i think so i'll post more progress shots as i take them

thanks guys, get her back tonight, I've got to go over to the bodyshop and refit the mirrors, door cards, lights etc then she's getting transported to a garage to sit off the road until the salt's gone :) i'll also be doing the manual swap hopefully during this time since all the parts are here now

oh, also rear hockey sticks arrived today so no more rear spats for me

• 3 weeks later...