The mkiv Supra Owners Club

2JZ-GE Different Emissions

evinX

Hi all, i got some questions about emissions for the 2JZ-GE,

Now from 1993 to 1996 The emissions can be higher than my 1996 Supra that falls under stricter emission rules, What id like to know is do all 2JZ-GE's no matter what year produce the same emissions with both CATs ? Because as far as i have seen on the EPC all the exhaustbparts have the same part numbers for 1993 right up to 2002 for the non turbos.

Or is is just the case of, up to 1996 you can remove a cat and get away with it, and from there on you cant?

Whats bought all this up is, im looking for a 2nd cat and have come across this BM90709

http://www.catalyticconvertershop.co.uk/catalytic_converters/TOYOTA_SUPRA/6485/details/

Now on these sites it says upto 1996 Supras only, but the 2nd cat are the same from 1993 to 2002 from Toyota. I want one of these for mine, as my 2nd cat needs changing. And will have my 1st cat in to, and want to be emission friendly.

Whats our thoughts people?

Kev

Hi all, i got some questions about emissions for the 2JZ-GE,

Now from 1993 to 1996 The emissions can be higher than my 1996 Supra that falls under stricter emission rules, What id like to know is do all 2JZ-GE's no matter what year produce the same emissions with both CATs ? Because as far as i have seen on the EPC all the exhaustbparts have the same part numbers for 1993 right up to 2002 for the non turbos.

Or is is just the case of, up to 1996 you can remove a cat and get away with it, and from there on you cant?

Whats bought all this up is, im looking for a 2nd cat and have come across this BM90709

http://www.catalyticconvertershop.co.uk/catalytic_converters/TOYOTA_SUPRA/6485/details/

Now on these sites it says upto 1996 Supras only, but the 2nd cat are the same from 1993 to 2002 from Toyota. I want one of these for mine, as my 2nd cat needs changing. And will have my 1st cat in to, and want to be emission friendly.

Kev

I've always maintained that a healthy engine should not need a catalytic converter to pass MOT at all. Whether they demand that it is physically there or not is another issue. As an example before my engine completely failed I failed emissions spectacularly on both CO and HC, without a catalytic converter which I was failed on a second count of not having one present. Conversely after my engine was rebuilt, my car passed MOT on emissions being just 8% of the limit value and even well below the stated emissions on the underside of my bonnet sticker (UK Spec, don't know if J spec have one or not). The MOT centre also did not mark me down for not having a catalytic converter present either.

Imports get tested under non cat test for emissions.

So doesn't matter if you have one or not in the UK

My MOT tester test my emissions, my passed on round 1, then round 2 she was 1% off, lol, revved it to warm the lambda and it went through. I got me some new sensors to sort that next year.

It's all a bit grey when it comes to what emissions test the car needs to pass. From what I remember;

All NA's only need to pass an idle test as they are technically not listed in the VOSA database as there was no UK NA.

Import TTs that are June 96 or earlier again only need an idle test due to no UK equivalent. This is tricky as not all garages seem to play by this rule, some will just put it through as a UK TT.

Import TTs that are later than June 96 and any UK car needs to pass the same idle test as above but is also subject to a fast idle test.

NAs should have no problem with emissions unless you have an issue.

TTs even at BPU generally fly through both tests, even with one cat 'missing', just make sure the car is hot before testing.

Cars with both cats removed can struggle on both, but do go through. Again, make sure the car is hot as possible before testing, leaving it at the garage all day and having them start it 5 mins before the emissions read is almost bound to fail. If you have a piggyback or standalone ecu, trimming the fuel back is solution, but not to be undertaken unless you are totally comfortable doing so!

Kev

I'm thinking why don't you get a good used standard 2nd cat, they are very well made and I suspect might outlast the one in your link despite that being brand new.

I'm thinking why don't you get a good used standard 2nd cat, they are very well made and I suspect might outlast the one in your link despite that being brand new.

Id take a used one. I have a wanted thread but nothing. Id like one of a lower miles supra so itll last longer. The casings tend to frail and rust on higher mile cars.

I know what you mean re the casing, I have one like that and have half removed the casing, I also have a couple of others, one is mint and I want to keep it the other is very good still, and I'll try and pop up some pics in your wanted thread.

Nice one, sounds good. Id like the mint one really :D but if the other is in good enough nic im intrested

My old NA had double decat, autobahn manifold and straight through pipe.

Passed every MOT emissions, once reminded it was an import NA.

I wouldnt go that route just becuase of the noise it would make though, or id love to have brand new pipe work on it :D

• 2 years later...

Bumping this as the shield on my Original 2nd cat has had it, and im getting tired of sourcing used 2nd cats that dont really last, well they do but the shields are always past their point of use.

So im going to give this BM Catalyst's one a bash. Listed for the NON-TURBO 2JZ-GE JZA80 Supra (New shape), should fit TTs to as the 2nd cats are the same. Note VVTI TT second cats are hollowed out - no element inside.

Heres some pics and it looks like it going to line up, fitting will tell. Thought id upload some pictures of it as its been on the market a while and never seen anyone post up about it. Going to use the original toyota crush gasket to mate to the 1st cat (fits) and using a metal pressed universal gasket to mate to the HKS back box. We fitted a BM Catalyst centre section to my dads Celica and it was spot on so i have high hopes for this one.

https://i.postimg.cc/prXqVKfG/001.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/ncr06YcM/002.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/4yLwYnwJ/003.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/TYsCGLp0/004.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/sfwT60zt/005.jpg

Seems odd to have those two pipes? just seems like more work/welding for no apparent (to me) reason. Sure it'll work fine just struck me as odd?

There must be a Technical reason for it im sure, as its more work to make a double pipes one...vibration...noise reduction etc.

Right, fitted this up today, sadly not a 100% bolt on, the only issue i had was mating it to the 1st cat, the lip that protudes on the first cat was making too much of a gap even with the crush washer. Grinder and metal cutting disc out, sliced it flush and the 2 parts mated fine. All fitted, no touching anywhere. Car sounds normal like it used to. Cant complaing really and not going to.